New to plastering. Advice on pricing jobs.

Members online

OneofThemOnes

Hi,

I’m new to plastering. I’m mainly looking for a bit of advice on pricing jobs. For a standard bedroom say 3m x 3m the going rate seems to between £200-£250 where I’m from in Birmingham. I’m currently working on a new build and I feel like I’ve been shafted on the price. I’m not to bothered as I’m just starting out but it’s taken me 18 days and I’m being paid £1400 for the whole job. I can knock out a couple of rooms in about 3 days to a high standard. I was just wondering would you expect to earn more or less on a new build. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

I’m new to plastering. I’m mainly looking for a bit of advice on pricing jobs. For a standard bedroom say 3m x 3m the going rate seems to between £200-£250 where I’m from in Birmingham. I’m currently working on a new build and I feel like I’ve been shafted on the price. I’m not to bothered as I’m just starting out but it’s taken me 18 days and I’m being paid £1400 for the whole job. I can knock out a couple of rooms in about 3 days to a high standard. I was just wondering would you expect to earn more or less on a new build. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
@lurpak

Hi,

Thank you.
Well who agreed on £1400? You haven't been shafted by anyone if you agreed to it or priced it at that. You've priced yourself in at less than £80 a day lol

Mate 2 rooms in 3 days is poor going on a new build. Got to remember the builder has a price in for it . Now domestic on the other hand you charge what you bloody want . You’ve been spoiled on your own work and now feel knocked back when someone tells you what they are going to pay you .

Cannon fodder mate. Makes 0 sense.

If he’s new to plastering, he wouldn’t be landing new build work. And If he did, he wouldn’t be on £1400 a plot.

If he can “knock a couple of rooms out in 3 days” then why would it take him 18 days per plot.

Lads I know on site round here bang plots out in 2 days.
Hi,

Thank you.
The house your working on have got 12 rooms then

If he’s new to plastering, he wouldn’t be landing new build work. And If he did, he wouldn’t be on £1400 a plot.

If he can “knock a couple of rooms out in 3 days” then why would it take him 18 days per plot.

Last time I did any site work was 2001
We was getting around £1,500 a plot then things haven't changed much f*** that,

I thought you might be able to help a fellow brummie out on the pricing structure of a decent spread! :LOL:

Hi,

Thank you.
My tip would be to pack it in if it’s taking 18 days to skim a house you ain’t a spread mate sounds like you’ve done a bit of labouring and been bought some tools for your birthday and thought you’d have a bash it can’t be that hard can it lol

1506701_635277806576453_9105295964323659207_n.jpg

@OneofThemOnes
How old are you.
Maybe if you young ens had a few pointers on pricing it would help the trade.
1 think what you want for a day.
2 do two sets and f**k off home call that your day . Dont think you be able to work like you can now when you get older.
3 dont under sell ye sen . Alot of people do want quality over quantity . Getting em both takes time.
4 if your over 35 for get 1 2 and 3

I thought it was weird that I landed a new build but it was just a couple of guys on they’re second one. He gave me a trial on a room and then gave me the job. It took longer than I expected because the loft rooms were difficult. Any I got £1600 for it in the end so slightly less of a disaster. This was literally my third job. I’ve done two rooms before this job. By the end of the job I was speeding up. Any my question was answered. You do get a bit less for new builds. Cheers lads

Shouldn’t have said that I’ve been shafted. I did agree to that price and he gave me more anyway. I don’t feel hard done by or anything. I enjoyed the job and learned a lot and got loads better.
We have all got to start somewhere mate, although I wouldn't work site rates anymore the first 10 years of my career was on site plastering and rendering plots and commercial buildings shop chains and pubs etc,
I personally think it's the best start for any plasterer getting used to the fast pace working with gangs you learn a lot more than off 1 domestic spread,
I've got a young lad not that academic will be coming with me but first he will get put on site for a few years with a gang so he realises you've got to work for it and can't just milk me,

We have all got to start somewhere mate, although I wouldn't work site rates anymore the first 10 years of my career was on site plastering and rendering plots and commercial buildings shop chains and pubs etc,
I personally think it's the best start for any plasterer getting used to the fast pace working with gangs you learn a lot more than off 1 domestic spread,
I've got a young lad not that academic will be coming with me but first he will get put on site for a few years with a gang so he realises you've got to work for it and can't just milk me,
you sound like Fagin.

Cheers. The reason I was asking is because I am working on my own and I am new, so its difficult to know where you're at with no frame of reference. Knowing that site rates are generally lower is a massive help so thanks. I reckon if I started the job from scratch now I pretty sure I could knock about 5 days of so I think i'm getting there.

I thought it was weird that I landed a new build but it was just a couple of guys on they’re second one. He gave me a trial on a room and then gave me the job. It took longer than I expected because the loft rooms were difficult. Any I got £1600 for it in the end so slightly less of a disaster. This was literally my third job. I’ve done two rooms before this job. By the end of the job I was speeding up. Any my question was answered. You do get a bit less for new builds. Cheers lads
No offence to you but it's pretty shocking that a guy who's only ever plastered 2 rooms was employed to skim a new build

I want to see some pics of this high quality plastering tbh. Curved room and loft which needs nice straight lines or curves that he'll have never of done. I wouldn't want to be buying that house tbh

Hey stewy03 is that crooked pub still standing. I went there once when working on the pensnet estate in 82. We used to Lodge in a cafe in brieley hill opposite a called the six furnices I think. Sorry about the spelling.