New to Forum Self Builder in Dorset with a Tech question

Graham Huggett

Hi all.

I am a self builder of my retirement bungalow in Dorset.
After 3 years of graft, I am finally working the inside.
I now need some advice on plasterboard as I am getting mixed messages
ie type, fitting, gap filling.

What's best forum to post my questions on?

DIY or Pro.

Hi all.

DIY or Pro.

Post where you like but unless you tread very lightly indeed,you will get the same advice and you won't like it.

It will be to get a plasterer. Particularly if you're going to ask a plasterer to go over it.

Boarding isn't terribly technical but it is skilled work, you probably shouldn't just ask for a bit of advice on here and then give it a shot.

Last edited:
Hi all.

DIY or Pro.
Lots of information to be found using the search box on here, most will be too crabby,inebriated,stuffed,manically depressed,on brink of punching the inlaws in the mouth to answer right now....oh and happy Christmas and welcome to the forum

Can't beat working on bungalows especially if they got low ceilings leave the hop up/stilts in the van, 3 f**k**g years to build it ffs!!!! Can I do the plastering on a day rate should take me 6 months on a standard bungalow!!:bananas:

3 yrs to get inside? Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know someone who spent about that long building a bungalow, but he did everything himself except the final hookup on the electrics. Never took a day off work either, or even got a loan.

Planning could have taken over two years Tony.

Plannings overated it just leads to dissapointment Andy.
My wife was planning on cooking and also planning on eating Christmas dinner in our new kitchen diner.
I'm just glad I never specified to her which Christmas it's going to be finished.

Screenshot_2017-12-27-11-19-31.png

Plannings overated it just leads to dissapointment Andy.
My wife was planning on cooking and also planning on eating Christmas dinner in our new kitchen diner.
I'm just glad I never specified to her which Christmas it's going to be finished.

View attachment 20850
Oh I totally agree Scottie.
We finally moved into our extension two days before Christmas last year, exactly two years later than I said we would.
Still neither of the ensuites usable or even broken through into the cottage. My wife is amazingly patient!