new starter

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepseaball

I'm very new to all things plastery so I apologise if this is already covered somewhere but here goes..
I've asked to plaster a fair sized utility room which I want to plaster for nothing, one, because it's for a relative and two, I want the practice. (Actually, I suspect it doesn't need doing but they're letting me plaster it for that reason)
My question is.....all the walls are either concrete block or thermalite breeze block, and painted. My experience with plaster is limited to knocking the stuff up for other blokes to spread it so I've only got myself to blame for not paying attention. I was always too busy staggering around gasping for breath. Anyway I digress. I ASSUME I can't PVA it and skim? Or can I? Christ! What if it's gloss? Should I feign illness?
Grateful for ANY advice!

scrape off any loose paint. buy something called thistle bond it, or wickes bonding agent. roller/brush it on. let it dry. hardwall and skim.

or sbr the wall ...or dot and dab.. don't know why i assumed you wanted to wet plaster.

Yup! I kind of want to use trowels and messy stuff because I want/need the practice. I've no objection in principle to boards and dot'n'dab but I expect there'll be a fair few heavy-duty items put on the wall. Anyway what's 'sbr'?
Thanks again, and sorry 'bout my ignorance. A lot of this game is terminology innit?

if you need to practice then why not wet plaster a couple of walls and dot and dab a couple. just to try the different systems out. dot and dab is easier to learn but alot of people. including plasterers. prefer the wet plastering method. maybe you should get someone to show you how to do it first. then try?

You're right of course, but the plastering Ive done myself has been either patching up or places where quality isn't critical, like the cupboard under the stairs. I've boarded up a fair bit and actually dotted 'n' dabbed and applied the scrim and beading and whatnot but then always walked away and started mixing up and spooning it out for you lot.
So yes, you're right its the knack and learning how long to wait for stuff to go off that I need. I suppose what I'm trying to do (by pestering you!) is to avoid making a complete idiot of myself by using the wrong products and technique in the first place. Have you ever put a lot of graft into ruining something and then heard: "What you SHOULD have done is.................?"

the most important thing in plastering is controlling the suction in my opinon. if you control that then you have time to get things right. thats where pva, sbr, wickes bonding agent and thistle bond it come in. i'm affraid its all about practice practice practice

steve cov said:
scrape off any loose paint. buy something called thistle bond it, or wickes bonding agent. roller/brush it on. let it dry. hardwall and skim.

dont put hardwall on thistle bond-it mate, it ses on the tub not too, i donk know why but its what it said in the tub.

dont say nothing about bonding though and also bonding is for low suction backgrounds which is ideal for what you are working with ;) hope this helps mate

kirk johnstone said:
steve cov said:

dont put hardwall on thistle bond-it mate, it ses on the tub not too, i donk know why but its what it said in the tub.

dont say nothing about bonding though and also bonding is for low suction backgrounds which is ideal for what you are working with ;) hope this helps mate
thats because hardwall needs a bit of suction to stick, same with multi - you use board finish over bonding agent due to the lack of suction..
bonding is fine because its designed for areas of low suction, like board finish...

Status
Not open for further replies.