New member looking for work in Isle of Wight, South East.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWilson

I've been updating my website and spending sometime on the internet so thought I should get in touch with you guys here on the plasterers forums because its useful to share information, or get advice last minute. There is little information for plasterers, such as wikis, and things, but its slowly growing.

I studied in Portsmouth, gained qualifications in Plastering and Decorating NVQ, and just doing some part time work in a hotel waiting for it to go somewhere, and looking for work as an improver.

I've had a good variety of small private jobs for friends and family, but it is quite hard to get work, due to "lack of experience and job references". Agencies want to employ people, but only employ people with experiences, qualifications, tools, and transport. I tick 3/4 but they don't seem to want to employ me without the experience and references.

You just can't win some.

Plastering, came about for me, because I have been studying art since GCSEs, and never thought I would end up so involved and interested as I have over the past decade. I went to University for a bit to study Fine Art, but dropped out, because it wasn't hands on enough, we weren't learning in groups, and I was wasting a lot of money for things I could invest in elsewhere, after on the job seekers for a time, I applied to some Decorating agencies although I knew I could paint, I went back to college to gain these qualifications they so much needed. I haven't had a job yet because of them since though, but decided I liked college so much, the people and the learning that I stayed on to study another two years for a plastering NVQ qualification. It was well worth it, and it opened my eyes to a new way of living.

Whilst doing my qualifications I had a part time job cleaning on a cruise ship. Its been interesting, but certainly I still cannot seem to get the work as an improver for a firm. I've only just got my van so its early days yet, and that was perhaps one reason. Now in the future I can look at going self employed and working as a part time plasterer and decorator.

Anyway that's me. So cya about...

www.twitter.com/plasterin

www.drag-on.info

I guess if I could help people on here, it would be more about theory, finding qualifications, tools, art history or art if you want to speak laymans, web site design and general chat.

You seem to have an old head on young shoulders welcome to the forum. If you mine me asking how old are you.

Status
Not open for further replies.