New member here! Coming back to the UK

Removed_User

Hi guys, I'm Colin from Scotland. Currently living in Poland working as an English teacher would you believe (I'm a time-served, experienced plasterer haha)

Reason for post and signing up in general is I've decided to come back to the UK next year to try and start up on my own. I wonder if you guys know of any areas in the UK somehow short of plasterers and maybe offer advice on how easy it is to start up on your own? I know how to get my name out there - I'm a good plasterer for a start and I'm great with social media as a ways and emans of advertising. I'd obviously make my own cards etc, pu ads in the papers and directories too.

Any advice you can offer would be great.! Nice to meet you all!

i would not bother with the add in the paper they are a thing of the past.

i was talking to a young polish woman who was in England on holiday to improve her english which was not good. she told me that in Poland she was an english teacher, when i pointed out to her that her english was not good, she replied it is a lot better then theirs !

i was talking to a young polish woman who was in England on holiday to improve her english which was not good. she told me that in Poland she was an english teacher, when i pointed out to her that her english was not good, she replied it is a lot better then theirs !

The biggest problem is they teach the by the book. So when they come to England they struggle as nobody talks like that.

For example we might say “i juSt got on the bus”

Not IN the bus

So it’s grammatically incorrect but the correct way will make your English sound broken

“I just get in bus” F*****g pols

The biggest problem is they teach the by the book. So when they come to England they struggle as nobody talks like that.

Not IN the bus

So it’s grammatically incorrect but the correct way will make your English sound broken

haha what the fuuck .....he only wants a job lol.
lurpack you fuking nutter lol.

right fuuck it im off to plonand

Not IN the bus

Be rite in Yorkshire as we speek queens english cock

Agree . Think its more a case of getting few jobs under your belt . So people get to hear of you then get work with a few builders .

A Scot teaching English to polish people, so when they arrive we still haven't a clue what their saying, nice little earner mate, I like your style!

You haven't a clue bud. I speak perfect English and know the grammar of our language inside out. I speak with whats called a classroom accent and my students (who by the way are different to the Poles who come to UK, work and don't soeak a word of the language) are brilliant and probably soeak better English than you

Alright Colin, I would say come back to Scotland, but that's because I'm not English lol. Edinburgh is doing OK at the moment, Dundee is probably the most up and coming place though, huge amount of development, cheaper to live there too! Don't bother with the adds in papers and cards an the like, just invest some money in a good website! Good luck with it all !

Alright Colin, I would say come back to Scotland, but that's because I'm not English lol. Edinburgh is doing OK at the moment, Dundee is probably the most up and coming place though, huge amount of development, cheaper to live there too! Don't bother with the adds in papers and cards an the like, just invest some money in a good website! Good luck with it all !

Thanks buddy. a nice message to start off!
I'm more worried about how to get that first job you know. From there, I'll smash it I know. I'm great ith social media like I said but I need to decide on a place to live first. i really like the idea of giving it a go in
England, especially in the North. I might not have a van to start with, you think it's a good idea to rent out a van just for the jobs until I get enough cash for one.

Are you a sole trader?

Thanks buddy. a nice message to start off!
I'm more worried about how to get that first job you know. From there, I'll smash it I know. I'm great ith social media like I said but I need to decide on a place to live first. i really like the idea of giving it a go in
England, especially in the North. I might not have a van to start with, you think it's a good idea to rent out a van just for the jobs until I get enough cash for one.

Are you a sole trader?

You would be better just getting a cheap van or estate if that's the case. You can always put an add on gumtree, not the best paying though as there is a lot of competition, that's why they are on there, but it would get you started.

You would be better just getting a cheap van or estate if that's the case. You can always put an add on gumtree, not the best paying though as there is a lot of competition, that's why they are on there, but it would get you started.

That's it mate. foot in the door and all that.
One thing I am confused about. When yo0u're a sole trader let's say you're self-employed right? does that mean you can still work on the sites or is it just going to peoples properties.? Cos you're making the rate, or is it like a negotiation with whoever you're working for?

From Dundee myself. Plenty work here. All the plasterers I know are rushed off there feet. Good plasterers are like gold dust up here :cool: good luck getting back into it
From Dundee myself but been in Edinburgh for 18 years now, heard it was busy there nowadays. Was a different place when I moved, that's for sure lol !!

One thing I am confused about. When yo0u're a sole trader let's say you're self-employed right? does that mean you can still work on the sites or is it just going to peoples properties.? Cos you're making the rate, or is it like a negotiation with whoever you're working for?
I only do domestics mate, builders a a bunch of c*nts who want it yesterday and want it for nothing plus you have all the other trades getting in your way and pissing you off. So you pretty much have to price all your work.

I only do domestics mate, builders a a bunch of c*nts who want it yesterday and want it for nothing plus you have all the other trades getting in your way and pissing you off. So you pretty much have to price all your work.
Yeah there putting a lot of money in Dundee! Seeing new sites all over the place for different things. Good to see. Not sure who’s on site but I know I few boys who are doing in alone now. Totally agree about the builder thing. Never have a problem payment or time scale, builders who run the job think they own ya after the first week ha! That s**t doesn’t go down well with me so tend to keep myself to myself an my own work. On a selected few I work for. Enjoying it .

domestic work is the best. paid in full as soon as the work is complete.

for site work you need a health and safety card, a plasterers qualification card. if you sub off a large plastering contractor, some of them will rent you a firms van per week. they will rent you a pump, 20% tax stoppage. paid every week.

site work for a builder it is often quoted for months in advance. they will want references, a bank check to make sure you don't go bust after the first weeks work. they may need 90 days credit. will want to hold retention.

domestic work is the best. paid in full as soon as the work is complete.

for site work you need a health and safety card, a plasterers qualification card. if you sub off a large plastering contractor, some of them will rent you a firms van per week. they will rent you a pump, 20% tax stoppage. paid every week.

site work for a builder it is often quoted for months in advance. they will want references, a bank check to make sure you don't go bust after the first weeks work. they may need 90 days credit. will want to hold retention.
Thats it mate , who needs that f.ckin hassle !

I’m at Lock Lomond, beautiful high land territory, some times pop to the city on jobs but in general I’d say Scotland better than England full stop

You’ll need a van and tools otherwise people will think what’s the point of employing you tbh I’d get a bank loan and get cracking even if you loan £10,000 it is what it is , nobody is gonna give a vanless toolless guy a job
All the best life’s for living give it 100% and you’ll succeed if not prepared to do that and take the gamble then plastering isn’t for you mate

We are all one week away from the dole

I’m at Lock Lomond, beautiful high land territory, some times pop to the city on jobs but in general I’d say Scotland better than England full stop

You’ll need a van and tools otherwise people will think what’s the point of employing you tbh I’d get a bank loan and get cracking even if you loan £10,000 it is what it is , nobody is gonna give a vanless toolless guy a job
All the best life’s for living give it 100% and you’ll succeed if not prepared to do that and take the gamble then plastering isn’t for you mate

We are all one week away from the dole
Great post can you gee me up every Monday morning please

You haven't a clue bud. I speak perfect English and know the grammar of our language inside out. I speak with whats called a classroom accent and my students (who by the way are different to the Poles who come to UK, work and don't soeak a word of the language) are brilliant and probably soeak better English than you
Didn't mean to offend lad, good luck in whatever path you intend to follow!

Hi guys, I'm Colin from Scotland. Currently living in Poland working as an English teacher would you believe (I'm a time-served, experienced plasterer haha)

Reason for post and signing up in general is I've decided to come back to the UK next year to try and start up on my own. I wonder if you guys know of any areas in the UK somehow short of plasterers and maybe offer advice on how easy it is to start up on your own? I know how to get my name out there - I'm a good plasterer for a start and I'm great with social media as a ways and emans of advertising. I'd obviously make my own cards etc, pu ads in the papers and directories too.

Hi Colin, good luck with your new endeavour. Breaking into a market in this trade has so many variables to consider makes it tricky to formulate an effective business plan. A couple of points to consider;
1: What kind of work do you want to do? If site work then it what capacity , Subby or contractor. The former will require more hands on networking the latter you can go on tender invitation lists or directly contact larger firms offering to quote for work. An easy route into this is contact LABC or local council and look at planning application submissions ( this is a valuable marketing tool for any aspect of the trade. You can get a list of all planning applications made big or small, approved or pending. All you need to do then is approach potential client directly and doctor your approach accordingly.
2: Website. @Danny builds websites and does a good job too. A website is like a business card. You have too hand it out for it to work. Get a website and spend a few hours copy and pasting it as a link onto every relevant site you can find. A relevant site is anything in the area you want to work and I mean ANYTHING. For example, if you move to Random town..Google RandomTown- adding the hyphen will bring up every site in that area. Click click copy and paste. Another easy route to natural lead growth etc is to follow local prominent sites under your web address eg www.randomtownplastering.co.uk
Then follow/like /tweet the local football team/newspaper/bowling club etc
Quick and direct : treat sourcing work with the same mentality as work itself. If your not booked in on Monday then spend 8 hours marketing , it pays huge dividends.
New to an area, Google contact details for every Q.S , Surveyor, architect , planning officer, window fitter, landscape Gardner etc don't forget plasterers. Got loads more nuggets , just like nuggets; some are s**t , some are gold. Best of luck to you bud. Best tip I can give; stay involved with the forum . I've had some great jobs off here.

Welcome along

Shared this before as it worked for me way back in the day @maltman777

Google the address for every newsagent and post office the new put an advert like the bottom two below. I put about 2 dozen out years ago pulled in loads of jobs. I'd use this approach during quiet times over the coming years but just in the windows that worked previously (had one spot in particular that always pulled a job in)
The ring binder in that picture is a mini portfolio I'd keep in the dashboard,
IMG_3309.JPG