New, looking for help.

Members online

perd49

Hi all,

Came across this site whilst looking for some information.

I’m not a plasterer or anything like that. I’m a security engineer.

I’m looking for some advice as I’m due to have some plaster/render work done but I not happy with what they are purposing after doing some reading on here.

Where should I post this question?

Thanks.

So the existing plaster is loose in places so they have told me take it off from where it is loose and where I’m not happy with it, that’s fine.

That have said for me to get ‘thistle bonding coat 60 minute 10kg tub’, not powder. They are talking about painting this on?? I saw a video of this by the manufacture, and that’s not what it’s for, I think they have got mixed up/confused. I think they want rendagrip, but form the little reading I did on here it doesn’t sound like that’s the way to go.

I don’t want dot and dab plaster boards.

They are supposed to be filling in any parts I have taken off and then skim the whole place. The original skim on the walls has hairline cracks all over it but they say this will be fine, they are going to coat it first.

What should they be doing?

It’s a 1950’s build and I’m quite confident that it’s all original plaster and skim.

Thanks.

Last edited:
So the existing plaster is loose in places so they have told me take it off from where it is loose and where I’m not happy with it, that’s fine.

That have said for me to get ‘thistle bonding coat 60 minute 10kg tub’, not powder. They are talking about painting this on?? I saw a video of this by the manufacture, and that’s not what it’s for, I think they have got mixed up/confused. I think they want rendagrip, but form the little reading I did on here it doesn’t sound like that’s the way to go.

They are supposed to be filling in any parts I have taken off and then skim the whole place. The original skim on the walls has hairline cracks all over it but they say this will be fine, they are going to coat it first.

It’s a 1950’s build and I’m quite confident that it’s all original plaster and skim.

Thanks.
they might be talking thistle bond it pal, which is a bonding agent and comes in a 10L tub.

Thanks.
Mate please! No offence, but the only one confused by the sounds of things (in this post) is yourself. Speak to the plasterer again, get it all straight then put up a decent post so you can get the best advice possible. Be lucky!

Must be talking about bond it. Never heard of ready mixed bonding! Lol.

They’re going to pre grit it, float where it’s blown off and then skim. Sounds pretty standard. Just check with your plasterer

they might be talking thistle bond it pal, which is a bonding agent and comes in a 10L tub.

I believe you may be right.
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Thistle-Bond-It-Plaster-Bonding-Agent-10L/p/984170

man up and speak to the plasterer lol

sounds like youre overly involved to me, feel for the spread
I have spoken to them and am speaking with them, their English is not brilliant.
Mate please! No offence, but the only one confused by the sounds of things (in this post) is yourself. Speak to the plasterer again, get it all straight then put up a decent post so you can get the best advice possible. Be lucky!
They had asked for this: https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/British-Gypsum-Thistle-Bonding-Coat-60-Minute-10kg/p/885051 and they said it will be painted on. Is this not a ready mixed bonding?

Yeah, exactly what I figured, bonding 60.

So what's happening if they are getting you to prep the walls, removing blown plaster and re-filling (no you can't paint it on) with bonding plaster, so they can come in and just skim the walls.

So you've chosen a plasterer that doesn't speak English, and you're doing the prep work with 0 experience. Basically you've taken on the cheapest spread you could find and to further lower the cost, you're going to prep the walls when you haven't a clue.

I'd never let a customer prep as it will just create more work for me. Just pay a proper spread to do a proper job? is it really worth all this stress and confusion to save a few f**k**g quid. People are bonkers

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Thistle-Bond-It-Plaster-Bonding-Agent-10L/p/984170

I have spoken to them and am speaking with them, their English is not brilliant.

They had asked for this: https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/British-Gypsum-Thistle-Bonding-Coat-60-Minute-10kg/p/885051 and they said it will be painted on. Is this not a ready mixed bonding?
Honestly mate the very first thing to do is get rid of these so called plasterers as quick as you can!! That product is in powder form and it states that on the tub mate (in the red triangle). Just get yourself a local recommended spread, or maybe post where you are and a trusted member of this forum might be able to help you out?
C54A0381-10E9-464F-96B9-E97C075C72A5.jpeg

Just hearing about all these arsehole’s out there really pisses me off!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, exactly what I figured, bonding 60.

So what's happening if they are getting you to prep the walls, removing blown plaster and re-filling (no you can't paint it on) with bonding plaster, so they can come in and just skim the walls.

So you've chosen a plasterer that doesn't speak English, and you're doing the prep work with 0 experience. Basically you've taken on the cheapest spread you could find and to further lower the cost, you're going to prep the walls when you haven't a clue.

I'd never let a customer prep as it will just create more work for me. Just pay a proper spread to do a proper job? is it really worth all this stress and confusion to save a few f**k**g quid. People are bonkers
I’m just removing any blower plaster to save money, they are doing everything else. Their English isn’t brilliant, but they did come recommended.

Honestly mate the very first thing to do is get rid of these so called plasterers as quick as you can!! That product is in powder form and it states that on the tub mate (in the red triangle). Just get yourself a local recommended spread, or maybe post where you are and a trusted member of this forum might be able to help you out? View attachment 24177
Just hearing about all these arsehole’s out there really pisses me off!!!
Cheers for the advice.

I’m just removing any blower plaster to save money, they are doing everything else. Their English isn’t brilliant, but they did come recommended.

Cheers for the advice.
You’re welcome, please could you post some pictures up of their work. I reckon it might brighten up some of our days! Lol.

You making me more confused on a Sunday morning than when my first girlfriend dumped me at the age of 6 :frenetico::frenetico::frenetico::frenetico::frenetico::frenetico: