New lad done a good job?

Members online

Video of the whole job… I am thinking I don’t even get him back in but just find a better man for the job. Question is how much should I pay him for his effort. He did graft all Sunday.
Sunday?

No surprise there...only time a site monkey can do quick n cheap foreigners

only time a site monkey can do
Monkey Omg GIF by MOODMAN

I know he did I was being sarky ;)

if the right money is offered then he’ll sell
thoughts on your new manager andy, personally should have gone for that simone, athletico madrid manager,........kane has handled this badly, top money and long contract, and yet has refused to attend training, hopefully daniel will stand his ground , if not whats the point of contracts

Video of the whole job… I am thinking I don’t even get him back in but just find a better man for the job. Question is how much should I pay him for his effort. He did graft all Sunday.
You sound like a great bloke to work for I would not be giving him a penny for that mess.
He’s not a plasterer or anything near it. It’s going to cost you double to put that right by a decent spread

You'd give the man who did that a chance to sort it?
Wow
Yes, in case they are genuine, - per Smudger's suggestion.

But.... I missed stuff myself - I did'nt get to run the video clip, missed the Sunday working bit FFS, verified on My Builder FFS?, in Leighton Buzzard??? (So many crooks nesting areas near around there in all directions)
- tells me this is a complete rip off, and the "builder" probably was as well.

So. Here is the whole story:

Builder takes on my job advertised on MyBuilder back in April for a full garage conversion and new extended patio. Quotes 11k.

Had a few other quotes, all ball park… the clincher was he could start next week. Sold.

His lads turn up, digs up old patio, use the old slabs to form me a nice base for the shed… cut a whole in the wall for French doors… then crack on with the stud walls. Doing a very good job. Everyone who’s been in since have commented that their stuff is all quality work.

I pay him half, he immediately pulls his lads off and I get no movement for 7-8 weeks. But all excuses under the sun. “Van broke down”. “Can’t get steel cos of Covid”. “No sand for patio cos of Brexit”. “Can’t get the lads, all unreliable”. Etc etc etc.

I eventually get bits and bobs off him. I.e patio slabs turn up from TP 8 weeks after he was meant to have put the order in, materials for final boards too, come June the steel turns up too for French doors lintel.

meanwhile my garden and driveway are now ruined from all the waste too (I’ve got a fractured back so can’t shift anything, otherwise I’d be doing this myself)

Every phone call I got off him in the meantime was a sob story and I cba with it. So just nodded my head.

Anyway…
Get a phone call from him in mid June telling me he’s had to go bankrupt. Writing was on the wall obviously. I’d made pals with his lads during this time and they’re filling me in on all the details. Sounds like he’s up s**t creek for 200-300k having screwed up some commercial jobs in northants too.

anyway, so I’m out of pocket. I get a local chap in for patio. Managed to get the original bloke back in for patio doors / turns out he’s been mugged off on a number of jobs too, so I pay him again, but I cant find a plasterer for toffee who’s not trying to mug me off further charging 2-3 grand for one final board and then plastering (having told them this story).

Then this lad pops up saying he’s got 5 yrs experience and looking to set up his own shop. Will do it for £700 in exchange for being able to use photos and me writing him an amazing review for his new website and on MyBuilder.
After 4 months of all that s**t and being out of pocket, snapped his hand off.

Builder takes on my job advertised on MyBuilder back in April for a full garage conversion and new extended patio. Quotes 11k.

Had a few other quotes, all ball park… the clincher was he could start next week. Sold.

His lads turn up, digs up old patio, use the old slabs to form me a nice base for the shed… cut a whole in the wall for French doors… then crack on with the stud walls. Doing a very good job. Everyone who’s been in since have commented that their stuff is all quality work.

I pay him half, he immediately pulls his lads off and I get no movement for 7-8 weeks. But all excuses under the sun. “Van broke down”. “Can’t get steel cos of Covid”. “No sand for patio cos of Brexit”. “Can’t get the lads, all unreliable”. Etc etc etc.

I eventually get bits and bobs off him. I.e patio slabs turn up from TP 8 weeks after he was meant to have put the order in, materials for final boards too, come June the steel turns up too for French doors lintel.

meanwhile my garden and driveway are now ruined from all the waste too (I’ve got a fractured back so can’t shift anything, otherwise I’d be doing this myself)

Every phone call I got off him in the meantime was a sob story and I cba with it. So just nodded my head.

Anyway…
Get a phone call from him in mid June telling me he’s had to go bankrupt. Writing was on the wall obviously. I’d made pals with his lads during this time and they’re filling me in on all the details. Sounds like he’s up s**t creek for 200-300k having screwed up some commercial jobs in northants too.

anyway, so I’m out of pocket. I get a local chap in for patio. Managed to get the original bloke back in for patio doors / turns out he’s been mugged off on a number of jobs too, so I pay him again, but I cant find a plasterer for toffee who’s not trying to mug me off further charging 2-3 grand for one final board and then plastering (having told them this story).

Then this lad pops up saying he’s got 5 yrs experience and looking to set up his own shop. Will do it for £700 in exchange for being able to use photos and me writing him an amazing review for his new website and on MyBuilder.
Sounds like you've had a really s**t time. Sorry to hear all that and yeah I can understand why you snapped his hand off.
Dot and dabbing one sheet of board and skimming that for £700 isn't that far off the mark really. It's 2 nice easy days. £300 a day and a generous £100 materials. Can't believe he f**k*d it up so badly

i honestly thought this plastering work was a real wind up , nobody but nobody could be this bad,
until you gave a few more details, a real nightmare,
and frankly i dont see what you can do to get your money back from the builder, he has gone bankrupt over some very large sums of money,
as i have said do not pay this bozo for this so called plastering work,
honestly rip everything down and start again with the plastering,
just concentrate now on getting the job finished for xmas, and just put this year behind you.
what has happened to the builder has he moved away/or set up in buisness again
and where is leighton buzzard,
keep us posted with updates

Time and again.. Building game is full of rip offs, con artists, liars and thieves, and desperate guys with no work. Decent guys don't need to go on My Builder etc., they go on reputation/being known/being referred.

Builders - Written/email quote, Always take up references, check the address is real, stage the payments/link to materials being delivered and preferably pay by card, keep a retention for a period after/production of certificates etc..
Similar for trades, always take up refs, but might go cash, (& no retention) if the referalls are good/known person. Some on here won't like that, but it's your money and risk if they are random strangers.

Why would he be taking on little jobs on My Builder if he's got bigger commercial jobs miles away in Northants. I don't believe him.
You can't trust anyone around there, a few years back even the Leighton Buzzard Court Recorder got himself into financial trouble, couldn't wriggle out of it and sadly topped himself. Devastated the family.

thoughts on your new manager andy, personally should have gone for that simone, athletico madrid manager,........kane has handled this badly, top money and long contract, and yet has refused to attend training, hopefully daniel will stand his ground , if not whats the point of contracts
Levy wouldn’t of backed simione, that’s y conte didn’t come. Yes hk is not doing himself any favours , he’ll get slaughtered now when he next comes out at WHL

Levy wouldn’t of backed simione, that’s y conte didn’t come. Yes hk is not doing himself any favours , he’ll get slaughtered now when he next comes out at WHL

You can't blame the guy at all.foden has won 10 trophy and he's barely into his 20s! Kane has won f**k all apart from golden boots,those that boo him will be a disgrace,and he's not even a spurs fan he supports arsenal thats widely known

Anyway…

U went wrong with going for a builder off my builder bud, I’d say 99% of them are chancers

I've always thought that. How you sortout a problem is as important as how good a job you do in the first place.

Customer will always forgive you if you come back and put something right for them
And you know that soooo well. Every job lol

You can't blame the guy at all.foden has won 10 trophy and he's barely into his 20s! Kane has won f**k all apart from golden boots,those that boo him will be a disgrace,and he's not even a spurs fan he supports arsenal thats widely known
I don’t blame him at all

he played for the gooners when he was 10 but never supported em