New here ! where 2 go ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan90

Hello all !

Im new here and i would just like to ask someone where to start with a career in plastering.

I am currently doing my NVQ1, progressing onto level 2 straight after.

Someone mentioned to me about just phoning in the local area and going with someone who has the time to show me some stuff, i just feel that with college you dont get enough time on the trowel and would be willing to work unpaid just to gather some expirience.

Thanks for reading

your thoughts are correct mate,you will have to send loadsa emails,make plenty of calls,and if your lucky someone may take you on.my advice is to not worry about what they can afford to pay you...their time and experiance are what you need.
good luck:RpS_thumbup:

Hello and good luck.

If I was in your shoes I would try to meet the local plasterers and ask them face to face. You come across as much more serious about your intentions and it shows that you'll go the extra mile. Text < Email < letter < Meeting.

Don't know where a phone call fits, somewhere in the middle i think.

I agree Danny. Get in there face to face. You will get a straight answer. Rather than no answer from people who will just bin your letter or delete your email.

Best of luck mate ,you have the right outlook , but if you get in with someone , be on time ,in our game time really is money

Good luck! Offering to muck in for nowt might swing it to learn with a spread as things are tough at the mo and not many folks are taking apprentices (we've been contacted by quite a few by letter and have always replied politely that we can't and offered possibilities for contacts).
Wish you well in your endeavours :RpS_thumbup:

Thank you all for your warm welcome !

I know times are hard and its a bugger for anyone trying to make something of thereselves ! Persistance is the key i suppose !

I will visit as many as possible face to face and put a letter together for others.

As you guys are plasterers, There must be a few things that you look for when taking someone on, any tips ?

Any information is much appreciated, Thanks for reading !

try yur local council/housing,ya never know they maybe taking apprentices.our lot are,training them in house too...last year Tom got into the national finnals...came 3rd.

Some plasterers do more domestic work ,so clean ,speak well ,polite ,ect ,which all the above i,m sure you are ,how ever site plasterers you will need none of the above ,just need to know how to s**t in a bag ,best of luck mate

Most importantly you must display the skill and have a eye for detail when making a joke dog poo from the left over skimming.:RpS_w00t:

haha you lot are nuts ! thanks ! Anyway i can definetly see how the floral dress thing would work theres a lot of lonely plasterers round here. come on then guys gimme the lowdown on site and domestic im still confused about what to do myself, i understand site work you just gotta graft a bit harder ? and with domestic, one bad job and your ****** ?

No not really, it's just different.

On site you need to get the metres on and you spend less time cleaning. Domestic, you spend much more time prepping, covering up and cleaning after.

Status
Not open for further replies.