New generation of spreads!!!

Members online

zombie

Private Member
Do you think that now more and more spreads are getting involved in modern render systems and in turn investing in machines etc that plasterers overall credibility is on the increase?

With that are people now raising there rates to reflect these investments even when just pricing internal works etc.

I feel at the moment that the trade is turning a corner for the better.

Thoughts?

We’re in demand on the private and domestic because of how much house building is going on. Keep all the site lads on site once the base rate rockets up people will stop spending. Oh and the fact new £20s will be coming out folk are emptying underneath their floorboards.

Zombie what the f**k mate???? This is what I've come back to? Only been gone like 24 hours and all of a sudden you're posting real threads about real things"??????????????????????????/////

Disappointing

I’m finding quoting frustrating at the moment. Getting undercut left right and centre. And I don’t understand how these people are doing it. Just quoted an extension and she went with someone else because their material price was ‘considerably lower ‘.

I understand the maths of labour being cheaper ie, some cabbage is willing to bust a gut for nowt. But I don’t see how their material cost can be considerably lower??

I’m finding quoting frustrating at the moment. Getting undercut left right and centre. And I don’t understand how these people are doing it. Just quoted an extension and she went with someone else because their material price was ‘considerably lower ‘.

I understand the maths of labour being cheaper ie, some cabbage is willing to bust a gut for nowt. But I don’t see how their material cost can be considerably lower??

Either leftover materials that owe them nothing or they just build material cost into labour to make it look better.

Little tip, a customer that wants the cheapest person is not a customer you want to work for. They are the worst, they want to pay cheap but have an immaculate job. I often pre-warn customers that if they want the cheapest price it isn't worth me quoting.

Either leftover materials that owe them nothing or they just build material cost into labour to make it look better.

Little tip, a customer that wants the cheapest person is not a customer you want to work for. They are the worst, they want to pay cheap but have an immaculate job. I often pre-warn customers that if they want the cheapest price it isn't worth me quoting.
I agree, you discover this s**t after a few years. Peoples pricing just baffles me sometimes and pisses me off frequently!

I can tell you 100% your problem!

Your working as a 2 person setup in a domestic market situation a 1 man band sole trader wilk always be cheaper.

Unless your splitting off daily to go to different jobs you won't be competitive.

Also without sounding nasty or sexist I've seen some of your clips and you share gauges that only require 1 spread.

Your working as a 2 person setup in a domestic market situation a 1 man band sole trader wilk always be cheaper.

Unless your splitting off daily to go to different jobs you won't be competitive.

Also without sounding nasty or sexist I've seen some of your clips and you share gauges that only require 1 spread.

oh f**k yeah he's back

That's a good point, 2 spreads 2 vans too. Would be very difficult to be competitive.

I can comfortably bang out a double bedroom ceiling and walls in a day including prep and without a labourer so could undercut alot of people with that, but don't.. not out of respect , out of greed. It's a hard game and no f**k**g chance I'll work cheap

Yes I agree 2 plasterers wage on domestics soon adds up to a lot of £££ and this frightens customers away .tried it years ago stick to sites now

No offence taken at all bud and you make some interesting points. We price on how long we think the job takes and if we take it easy here and there that is our choice on the day, not reflected in labour cost, and generally down to either Ni with a shoulder impingement or if my elbow flares up. I never try to be billy big b*ll***s because I’ve learnt what pain is. I certainly couldn’t throw on what algee does! Makes my eyes water!

No offence taken at all bud and you make some interesting points. We price on how long we think the job takes and if we take it easy here and there that is our choice on the day, not reflected in labour cost, and generally down to either Ni with a shoulder impingement or if my elbow flares up. I never try to be billy big b*ll***s because I’ve learnt what pain is. I certainly couldn’t throw on what algee does! Makes my eyes water!

whats algee throw on out of interest? x

People posted while I was typing last one.... this has been interesting.

You do have an advantage though, being female. I'd play on that really. What I mean is alot of females customers can be intimidated when a handsome plasterer with massive forearms walks in , or when a nutter calling everybody John (gps) bowls in.. so there is a market there

But that's the problem jess plasterers that have covered the miles get conditioned to be able to cover the meters which in turns makes them competitive without feel g like they have busted a bpllox to cover there money!

Take @algeeman as an example he will wipe a plot out in a 2/3 days and not feel like he's been under paid...that same message might take a spread from a domestic back ground 2 weeks and would feel robbed and only earn peanuts.

Same amount but 2 different perspectives!

You do have an advantage though, being female. I'd play on that really. What I mean is alot of females customers can be intimidated when a handsome plasterer with massive forearms walks in , or when a nutter calling everybody John (gps) bowls in.. so there is a market there

What's your unique selling point then?!

People do like that we’re women there’s no denying it. Other women feel more relaxed and men don’t feel a macho ego thing (builder Vs office worker sort of thing I guess ) . It does play to our advantage. And regardless, I know our finish is good! ;)

But that's the problem jess plasterers that have covered the miles get conditioned to be able to cover the meters which in turns makes them competitive without feel g like they have busted a bpllox to cover there money!

Take @algeeman as an example he will wipe a plot out in a 2/3 days and not feel like he's been under paid...that same message might take a spread from a domestic back ground 2 weeks and would feel robbed and only earn peanuts.

That's a very good point. Actually it's too good why didn't I think of that

Do they look good painted? :D

Lol. Seriously though I don't have a selling point. I just get on with it, I only do domestic jobs and I'm usually booked at least 2 months in advance but can squeeze in small jobs around this. I just do a good job, clean and tidy and people know they can trust me, very often left with house keys. One job leads to another and you build a reputation.

..... which confirms to me that I want to carry on sticking my fingers in other pies as I really don’t want to throw on what algee does, nor do I want to work for peanuts..... nor do I want to be doing this in another 20 years personally. Food for thought (y)

Lol. Seriously though I don't have a selling point. I just get on with it, I only do domestic jobs and I'm usually booked at least 2 months in advance but can squeeze in small jobs around this. I just do a good job, clean and tidy and people know they can trust me, very often left with house keys. One job leads to another and you build a reputation.

Thats it in a nutshell mate.

..... which confirms to me that I want to carry on sticking my fingers in other pies as I really don’t want to throw on what algee does, nor do I want to work for peanuts..... nor do I want to be doing this in another 20 years personally. Food for thought (y)

I'm detecting a crisis

There's an old saying jess and it's very very true...

"There's plasterers & there's plasterers"

It's a god dam awful way to earn a living and only the fittest and hungriest last!

I'm detecting a crisis

Been in a crisis for a while mate! Nah it’s not all bad but I’m thinking about the future. I’m 31 and whilst that certainly isnt old it’s not young young either in terms of trying to sort my s**t out. And as a woman I’m thinking what if I have kids? That seems like a nightmare as a self employed plasterer! I’ll get the shitty state maternit. I wouldn’t be able to work up until the last min like other women can.... stuff to think about

There's an old saying jess and it's very very true...

"There's plasterers & there's plasterers"

It's a god dam awful way to earn a living and only the fittest and hungriest last!

Whatever you do, there will come a time when the manic dies a bit and a new challenge is needed.

Been in a crisis for a while mate! Nah it’s not all bad but I’m thinking about the future. I’m 31 and whilst that certainly isnt old it’s not young young either in terms of trying to sort my s**t out. And as a woman I’m thinking what if I have kids? That seems like a nightmare as a self employed plasterer! I’ll get the shitty state maternit. I wouldn’t be able to work up until the last min like other women can.... stuff to think about

You can graft Jess and your arty and smart. Skies the limit x

I'm 33. The reality is that put the nicely edited videos aside.. theres nothing feminine bout plastering. It's hard and dirty.. I don't think it would do a woman good, mentally , doing it long term. Just like it wouldn't do a man good to do a traditionally women job..

It might sound sexist but isn't hada few shandys so

• Funny
Reactions: gps