New ceiling and cracks forming along edge of wall

Members online

davem63

A few months ago we had a ceiling replaced with new plasterboards and then skimmed.

However the walls weren't skimmed, they were left alone, and then painted.

The plasterer didn't mask off the edge of the ceiling, and when the ceiling was rendered I noticed plaster residue left along the top edge of the walls, which I thought didn't look very neat, but assumed they knew what they were doing.

Now we are getting a lot of cracks along the top of the walls.

The builders have returned a few times, but they just fill the cracks with filler, and the cracks keep coming back.

They say the problem is my old walls, that they are cracking. And they say the answer is to put fresh new plaster boards on top of them. It sounds expensive to me, and I dont think necessary.

The walls weren't cracking before this work was done.

I think the surplus render at the top of the walls cant stick to the walls, as the walls weren't primed. So it's cracking off, and they are slapping filler on it each time.

But I'm guessing. Am interested in what professional plasterers think, and what answer is

Attachments

• 20211128_153119.jpg
    20211128_153119.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG-20211120-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20211120-WA0003.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 235
  • 20211128_153106.jpg
    20211128_153106.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 221
  • 20211128_153008.jpg
    20211128_153008.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 230
If the plasterer only skimmed the ceilings and did nothing to the walls as you stated this has nothing at all to do with him ,a bit of residue as you say on the wall from skimming the ceilings again has nothing to do with theses cracks ,I’ve seen this happen before where the walls were re done and a wrong air tightness tape was used and it lifted but you say the walls weren’t touched so the plasterer is not at fault ,you need to open up theses cracks and see what’s gong on

Why was ceiling a problem?
Ceiling was old and full of cracks. And I wanted to put insulation above it. We've got a flat roof, so no attic, and this is a good way to insulate. This was basically an insulation job, and we hired a company to do it. We had internal wall insulation fitted, ceiling replaced and insulation rolled out above. I wonder if the weight of the ceiling + insulation, pushing down on the existing side walls, is making the plaster crack?

No I dont want to blame the plasterer, I just want to work out what's going on. Interesting though that it doesnt seem to be the residue that's cracking. I need to ask the builder again about this

And should the join be taped between ceiling and walls? Could this be the cause?
No.your cracks aint on the angle for a start.if plasterer only did ceiling he would of likely scrimmed the face of the board on the ceiling.f**k all to do with plasterer

Ceiling was old and full of cracks. And I wanted to put insulation above it. We've got a flat roof, so no attic, and this is a good way to insulate. This was basically an insulation job, and we hired a company to do it. We had internal wall insulation fitted, ceiling replaced and insulation rolled out above. I wonder if the weight of the ceiling + insulation, pushing down on the existing side walls, is making the plaster crack?
Was the plasterer a bit over weight, it could be the weight of the plasterer on the floor, has made the floor drop and if the wall is fixed to the floor, then that would causing the top of the wall crack.
Next time get a skinny plasterer to do the work.
Or it could be the lightweight insulation raising up the flat roof. You could stop this by putting concrete blocks on the flat roof.
Or get the fat plasterer back to jump up and down to bring the roof down to close the cracks.
Or maybe you should listen to what the plasterer who skimmed the ceiling told you?

Was the plasterer a bit over weight, it could be the weight of the plasterer on the floor, has made the floor drop and if the wall is fixed to the floor, then that would causing the top of the wall crack.
Next time get a skinny plasterer to do the work.
Or it could be the lightweight insulation raising up the flat roof. You could stop this by putting concrete blocks on the flat roof.
Or get the fat plasterer back to jump up and down to bring the roof down to close the cracks.
Or maybe you should listen to what the plasterer who skimmed the ceiling told you?
Good thinking, but no this isn't one of my jobs.

No I dont want to blame the plasterer, I just want to work out what's going on. Interesting though that it doesnt seem to be the residue that's cracking. I need to ask the builder again about this
The residue is dirty f**k**g water.

A few months ago we had a ceiling replaced with new plasterboards and then skimmed.

However the walls weren't skimmed, they were left alone, and then painted.

The plasterer didn't mask off the edge of the ceiling, and when the ceiling was rendered I noticed plaster residue left along the top edge of the walls, which I thought didn't look very neat, but assumed they knew what they were doing.

Now we are getting a lot of cracks along the top of the walls.

The builders have returned a few times, but they just fill the cracks with filler, and the cracks keep coming back.

They say the problem is my old walls, that they are cracking. And they say the answer is to put fresh new plaster boards on top of them. It sounds expensive to me, and I dont think necessary.

The walls weren't cracking before this work was done.

I think the surplus render at the top of the walls cant stick to the walls, as the walls weren't primed. So it's cracking off, and they are slapping filler on it each time.

But I'm guessing. Am interested in what professional plasterers think, and what answer is
When the plasterer skimmed the ceiling , wet brushed the angle and consequently the walls got damp and when dried have now shown stresses from the overboarding and moisture
Open cracks and fill and paint

Last edited by a moderator: