New and need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

First of all, hello all and great forum - I've found some great subjects!

I'm currently scouring the internet for the best course to take up plastering for a career change. Its not a knee jerk reaction, I've been palnning to do this for quite a while and have saved money up. I'm now 33 and fed up of the career I have in manufacturing. I'll be looking for a course of 2-6 weeks to gain as much training as I can get. So I have some questions if anyone can help out or answer?

1. Any reccomendations for a course (I'm based in Worcestershire/Warwickshire).
2. Once I've completed the course, I plan on asking any plasterers if they want some help to gain some experience - FOC - is this the best way?!!
3. I'm also looking at a Tiling course. Plan is that then, I could be more flexible and most training companies that teach plastering also do the Tiling courses.
4. Any helpful advice!!!!!!

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob

you seem to have thought this out then. have a good look at the training centres around your area and compare them to each other see who offers the most. i reckon the closer to home you can find the cheaper it will be for you :). once you have found a few post them on here and some other people may be able to recomend the places to give you an idea of what they are like.

i would recomend or suggest doing a 6 week course i think thats the ICA, out of this you can gain a formal recognised city and guilds qulifacation what you may also get is the citb health and saftey certificate which will go towards a cscs card with this you can then go and work on site.

getting work with other plasterers is a good idea but sometimes difficult to find someone to take you on offering your services free of charge is inviting to people but you will still need some sort of income especially if you have family (im sure you will have thought about this anyway) :).

haveing the flexibility of two trades is worth it i think you can broarden your work load if you get what i mean and if the walls that need tiling need plaster work first you can get the job done without calling in extra agencies.

good luck, keep us posted of how you get on. ;)

Thanks for the advice. Its looks likely I'll be off to Goldtrowel. They look like they offer a good few options down there any seem to be highly thought of on this forum. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.