New and improved tapit tape review

Members online

Tinytom

Evening fellas, as promised here’s the @tapit tape review
Good timing really I recieved the samples (tight sod) this morning and I was returning to skim a kitchen in a cottage Iv been working at which has s&c rendered walls, absolutely solid
This is the last room of the house on all the others we’ve been bedding beads on with gear as you can’t knock a nail in.
we had been on site the day before and skimmed the ceiling and bonded some of the walls out.
Here is the tape
BD714460-09F2-4D63-A9F9-DE17A8AAC588.jpeg

Short strips but seems sticky enough
The first one I tried was onto some dried bonding but it didn’t stick at all
74382635-599D-45AE-ACD5-4776AE874366.jpeg

no surprise really what would stick to dry dusty bonding? So I bed that bead on with some dot
I thought I’d try the tape again on the head of the door, pretty good test it’s a very slight arch and needs holding in tight to the angle
CBBFBEE3-1479-4330-B1F8-D2E3A636C44D.jpeg

The single piece was decent but I wouldn’t be comfortable skimming with just the 1
8924D48A-D2A1-4389-8239-864372F6F8CC.jpeg

So I put another on and to be honest it grabbed the bead really well, sliced off the arris and that was that door done.
if I had some more tape I could have done a better test as the window was 2.8 wide but I only had 1 strip left so I tried a single strip onto 1 side bead
17C63F96-4367-4BE1-BFCA-2A28D38A31E4.jpeg

I found it easier to put the tape on first then stick it back to the wall
Here is a video (if it works) of the bead with a single strip, I was happy it held the bead tight enough and cracked on and skimmed the wall and reveals.

I didn’t notice the tape was on there to be totally honest, no sliding skim, no difference in suction, no bits of bead floating to the surface (like the last 1 did) and once the skim was dry you couldn’t see any ghosting or difference in colour
59A7465A-B2B4-48DD-8BD5-70046FB393B9.jpeg

28609DF1-6B16-49E3-BC7D-E8D655C9122C.jpeg

Final conclusion
A improvement over the last effort, and I think there is a time and a place. If I was tipping upto this job to bead up and skim I wouldn’t want to knock any gear up to bed on with, I wouldn’t want to use pink grip or adhesive because it can take a while to grab and if your not careful bits can stick up through the finish.
is it any quicker than sticking a strip of scrim down both sides? Yes
Is it quicker than staples? Possibly
Quicker than bedding on? Definetly yes
I’m not saying it’s the best method and in some situations it’s not fit for purpose (ie over dusty substrates)
In plastering there is never a one size fits all solution
If this was priced sensibly between £4 and £8 I would buy a roll for the times when it comes in handy it would be worth it.
I wouldn’t say it’s something I’d be using everyday but definetly worth having there

Final conclusion
A improvement over the last effort, and I think there is a time and a place. If I was tipping upto this job to bead up and skim I wouldn’t want to knock any gear up to bed on with, I wouldn’t want to use pink grip or adhesive because it can take a while to grab and if your not careful bits can stick up through the finish.
is it any quicker than sticking a strip of scrim down both sides? Yes
Is it quicker than staples? Possibly
Quicker than bedding on? Definetly yes
I’m not saying it’s the best method and in some situations it’s not fit for purpose (ie over dusty substrates)
In plastering there is never a one size fits all solution
If this was priced sensibly between £4 and £8 I would buy a roll for the times when it comes in handy it would be worth it.
I wouldn’t say it’s something I’d be using everyday but definetly worth having there

I
I know bad job 5 bags from 2pm

You want to take a bag back to job and sort the reveals out pal unless its my phone!

Thanks for your review Tom
I'll still bed into first coat on those situations , tape is needed at , or close to the corners IMO

Has nobody tried impact adhesive on boards yet lol

get a spread in i say
It’s an old cottage, there was 4 bags of bonding used in 1 room just to fill out. A zoomed in picture doesn’t show a true reflection of the finish.
this is a review of the tape not an internal angle

Spot the difference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201211_185221_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201211_185221_com.android.chrome.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot_20201211_200825_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201211_200825_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 242