Never worked in Plastering before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenLevy

Hi all.

I have been looking on the site for a thread about starting out, I have found a lot of opinions on collage courses on plastering but Im not sure if I should go to collage or get my foot in the door with a plasterer!

I am 27 and have got bills so an apprentership at £2.50 ph is not realistic too me.

Any advice or could someone please point me to the correct thread?

Thanks guys

It's a tough one mate . Two routes to go down , start as a labour with a gang or go to collage to learn . I have to ask why plastering why not a joiner,roofer, bricky or sparks.

get yourself down burger king, free food, working inside in the warm, get your uniform free and probably better money at the minute!

Cheers mate, I have got sparks in mind and I've got my cscs test next week to start Labouring, I need to pay bills and train so I cant do collage full time. I'll start with labouring and see where that takes me! Cheers guys Thread closed!!! :RpS_thumbup:

It's a tough one mate . Two routes to go down , start as a labour with a gang or go to collage to learn . I have to ask why plastering why not a joiner,roofer, bricky or sparks.

I started as a labourer and picked up the trowel whenever i could. College is shite, they teach you too many bad habits! Labourer is the best way if you can put up with the constant shouts of "MUCK UP!" when they want more gear mixed :RpS_lol:

Thats how I got into it, pity the work dried up in the early 80s or I would be well into plastering by now. Its a great crack with the lads on site, thats what I thought any way, Ive never had a job since then that I have enjoyed, it is hard graft mixing for 1 very good quick plasterer and sometimes 2 good plasterers but thats the way it was then and 50kg bags and no mixing tools apart from a stick and a podger, you soon got warm on freezing cold days on site.

Maybe you should look at the machine boys... I remember they were looking for someone to train up...

Good luck... its tough at the moment

I started as a labourer and picked up the trowel whenever i could. College is shite, they teach you too many bad habits! Labourer is the best way if you can put up with the constant shouts of "MUCK UP!" when they want more gear mixed :RpS_lol:
totally agree though down our way they shout "gobo " when they want some gear lol

When I was a lab I really felt like I'd failed if they had to call for muck, I really felt bad. That's probably why I've been so hard on all the lazy little T***s I've employed.

One step ahead, that's a good lab :RpS_thumbup:

I know it sounds sad but I used to love it when one of the spreads would turn round to ask for something and I was already standing with the said item because I'd looked ahead. I used to take pride in my labouring.

There is a edit button southwest. Just think no one would ever have know that you cant spell bake if you had used it :RpS_thumbsup:

I know it sounds sad but I used to love it when one of the spreads would turn round to ask for something and I was already standing with the said item because I'd looked ahead. I used to take pride in my labouring.

Finding labourers like this is so hard, I go through so many labourers, I use labourers quite abit for plastering bathroom refits, house refurbs etc most can't even think for themselves , spend al day watching you and not have the initiative to think ahead, and the amount of tools they have chucked in skips, one time I had to waste an hour searching through a skip of rubble looking for a pipe cutter , that some thick **** threw away because he thought it was scrap metal
A good labourer is worth their weight in gold, and can make a big difference to the job

Finding labourers like this is so hard, I go through so many labourers, I use labourers quite abit for plastering bathroom refits, house refurbs etc most can't even think for themselves , spend al day watching you and not have the initiative to think ahead, and the amount of tools they have chucked in skips, one time I had to waste an hour searching through a skip of rubble looking for a pipe cutter , that some thick **** threw away because he thought it was scrap metal
A good labourer is worth their weight in gold, and can make a big difference to the job

Status
Not open for further replies.