Never Can Have Enough Contacts!

Members online

No members online now.

roryston

Lads recently gone on my own.

Towards the end of last year it got to much working for someone, I was getting good work thrown at me left right and centre from good people so took the plunge and went by myself.

Was looking to use my old boss as a safety net but things have got a bit sour (doesn't seem to happy I'm getting my own work)

Things are ok at the moment got a handful of contacts that keep me in regular work in between my own jobs which is nice, I ain't gonna lie I was shitting myself in January thinking I made a bad choice. Luckily a few people have kept there word and kept the work coming.

But obviously you can never have enough contacts.

So if any of you are needing a hand on a job, need a job done or need someone there i might be able to help you out.

I'm based in Bristol but dont mind a bit of travelling about if necessary. I'm domestic/mini site based, never done the plastering side of site work, being honest i dont think i could keep up with them.

I can do most plastering related work, skimming, rendering sand and cement internal and external, Tyrolean, boarding studding etc. Own tools own van and I'm self employed so no messing about. My workmanship ain't shite and i won't tuck people up on a job, i dont charge the moon and back either, just happy to make a wage some of you may have seen some of my work posted on here from time to time.

Give me a shout if needed will be happy to help out 07845785592

Love you all x

I'll keep hold of your number fella. Did some work in Brizzle last year for a mate and I seem to be getting more work off the back of it. I'm in Easton as we speak. It's a fair old shlep for me to drive tbh so happy to pass it on.

Last edited:
I'll keep hold of your number fella. Did some work in Brizzle last year for a mate and I seem to getting more work off the back of it. I'm in Easton as we speak. It's a fair old shlep for me to drive tbh so happy to pass it on.

Yeah sound mate, obviously dont want to take the bread off your plate but if your stuck will be happy to help out. Dont mind chucking a drink your way or whatever. Not working far from Easton myself just up the road in Ashley down today and tomorrow. Give me a shout if you goes to the cafe mate !

Haha! This is Easton fella. It's all fair trade veggy wholemeal middle class quinoa bollix! (Been told you can get a decent fry up in the community center though)

Haha! This is Easton fella. It's all fair trade veggy wholemeal middle class quinoa bollix! (Been told you can get a decent fry up in the community center though)

Never tried it there! I will tell you though that whole area is on the up, we were doing spec houses there year before last, bloke was paying £100-120k for them spending £30-£40k on them and banging them out for £200k+

stick with it @roryston it will pay off in the end :D

I hope so!

Its a lot different to what I was expecting, obviously before working for someone 5 days a week then doing my own stuff weekends and evenings and pinching the odd days off my old boss I thought it'll be a lot the same.

It isn't, theres a lot more running about and a lot more chasing things. Of course most of you on here are self employed or run companies etc and of course have started out at some point so I guess most of you can relate to it, luckily as said I had a major push in the right direction from a couple of good lads that have helped me out a lot over the past couple of years and being surrounded by good people like them have been a godsend.

What I am really enjoying though is actually being able to have a little more time with the family, on some jobs I'm earning enough money that will do me for the week so I'm being able to sometimes finish on a Friday and take the whole weekend off, which is uncommon ground to me! But its nice! Of course there will be some weeks when its manic and non stop but as the trade goes, take the rough with the smooth!

I hope so!

Its a lot different to what I was expecting, obviously before working for someone 5 days a week then doing my own stuff weekends and evenings and pinching the odd days off my old boss I thought it'll be a lot the same.

It isn't, theres a lot more running about and a lot more chasing things. Of course most of you on here are self employed or run companies etc and of course have started out at some point so I guess most of you can relate to it, luckily as said I had a major push in the right direction from a couple of good lads that have helped me out a lot over the past couple of years and being surrounded by good people like them have been a godsend.

What I am really enjoying though is actually being able to have a little more time with the family, on some jobs I'm earning enough money that will do me for the week so I'm being able to sometimes finish on a Friday and take the whole weekend off, which is uncommon ground to me! But its nice! Of course there will be some weeks when its manic and non stop but as the trade goes, take the rough with the smooth!

just dont do it for day work... lol :D

I'm pretty much in the same boat mate, until recently I've always been employed or done subbying work. Now I'm properly self employed full time. Got a few people I can get in touch with if I go quiet, and there is always agencies crying out for people. So I'm safe in the knowledge the work is there.

Contacts take years to build up, but minutes to loose.
Make your word your bond, even if it costs you money on occasions and Build a good cash flow up would be my key tip to anyone starting out.
It's all a learning curve, and plenty on here will give you advice if required.

Contacts take years to build up, but minutes to loose.
Make your word your bond, even if it costs you money on occasions and Build a good cash flow up would be my key tip to anyone starting out.
It's all a learning curve, and plenty on here will give you advice if required.

not living hand to mouth I think is the hardest for most people... also having interferring wives that think that every penny you make has to be spent and whines and moans about reinvesting in the business... thankfully my wife has supported me but seen it a lot on here with wives interfering and trying to run a company but have sod all knowledge.

Building up a good cash flow will also help you picking jobs :D If you have money in the bank you can pick the best profitable jobs :D

not living hand to mouth I think is the hardest for most people... also having interferring wives that think that every penny you make has to be spent and whines and moans about reinvesting in the business... thankfully my wife has supported me but seen it a lot on here with wives interfering and trying to run a company but have sod all knowledge.

Building up a good cash flow will also help you picking jobs :D If you have money in the bank you can pick the best profitable jobs :D

My misses luckily stays out of It all, she's happy that I'm working even if sometimes its 7 days a week.

She dont ask for much, as I've said before we've been there with £10 on a Monday wondering wether to buy electric or baby milk. We've never had nothing only what we gone out and earnt. I hated those times but it was a life lesson

My misses luckily stays out of It all, she's happy that I'm working even if sometimes its 7 days a week.

She dont ask for much, as I've said before we've been there with £10 on a Monday wondering wether to buy electric or baby milk. We've never had nothing only what we gone out and earnt. I hated those times but it was a life lesson

ah that is good :D DOnt tell her too much either :D Jane got carried away a few times when I have good days and I have to remind her that it could be a one off :D

When you've got a goodun, it's a partnership.
Keep going @roryston ....It's worth the effort in the end.
Good work breeds good contacts which breeds good clients and so the wheel turns....

It's the best move you'll ever make.. freedom is what I call it no builder can dictate to you how much they want doing! Or undercutting you to make there profit.
Don't get me wrong the running around at silly times pricing jobs is a Ball ache and picking up materials but charge accordingly.
You pick what time you start finish and whether you want to stay off or not.
One thing I will say is if you can get a grand or two ahead as backup you wont go wrong.
Customers expect materials to be bought by you but some times its silly money but backup covers you.
Think outside the box set yourself up with all free listing I.e Google free index a hand written business's card in a local shop is always a good one.
As much as it's throwned on my builder can come in handy with quite spells.
But best of luck hope all goes well

Cheers everyone for all the kind words and advice.

Genuinely appreciate it.

Plenty of you been in this position before and its nice to hear positive words and wisdom from the more seasoned spreads.

Your all great people on here, you all deserve everything you accomplish and everything you want out of life.

Cheers lads.