NELA s*p*r*lex Trowel review

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi just joined the forum as I somehow stumbled across the article for the cork Nela trowels. Has anyone used it for EWI work? Would be keen to see how durable it is for laying on acrylic. Tends to wear down MT trowels really quick and horrible if you get it on the handle! Does the cork absorb some of the moisture and swell?

Hi all
Have skimmed a few walls with the Nela 18" trowel. I have to say I am very impressed. Finishing walls straight out of the box no problem.

I done half the wall with the Marshaltown and half with the Nela. The Nela definitely finished quicker. The side with the Marshaltown seemed to need an extra trowel. You don't need to apply as much pressure as the Marshaltown which is good plus less water is needed. Im not sure if I will be applying finish with the Nela but I will definitely trowel up and finish with it. You can hit the walls early

Not sure how durable the Nela is to throw into a toolbox so I made a case for it. Its a trowel I wish I had years ago.

Going to order a 14" also.

It's not that heavy. I. You need less pressure which means it will be easier on the old bones than the MT.

Sent from my iPhone using The Plasterers Forum

Looks like am going to have to buy this trowel and give it a go. I have the Refina 14 s*p*r*lex. Is the 18 Nela out yet

I bought a 16" premium trowel, 14" premium trowel, and a 14" flexible. After using them quite a bit in the last couple weeks, I have to say they are at least on a par with Marshalltown but they're balance and feel seems to be nicer sooner. The super flex in particular feels quite a bit more solid whilst not being too wealdy to move around. I can compare it to my 16" refina s*p*r*lex which I liked a lot before these turned up, the nela seems to have just a little better build quality, though Its close. Someone said about having more flexibility on the toe/nose of the trowel, funnily enough the 14" and the 16" premiums I have both have the same shank! So you get that nice spring on the 16"!
Altogether don't be put off trying em, glad I did and I already have a collection.

tried the nela 14 inch s*p*r*lex this morning on a ceiling. wanted so much to like it because its such a fine quality trowel, but i have to say i prefer the refina. have a few more ceilings over the next two day so i will persevere. maybe its because i am now use to the refinas width. i shall know by the end of the week. it doesn't seem to "work" for you like the refina does. anyway i've got to go the dentist i will try and rationalise my thoughts in a day or two

i never used the refina one, but I got the 16'' nela, and have to say, its the dogs, love it, and thats me that was slagging s/f a while back..lol... really nice bit of kit, as i said cant compare to refina..

i never used the refina one, but I got the 16'' nela, and have to say, its the dogs, love it, and thats me that was slagging s/f a while back..lol... really nice bit of kit, as i said cant compare to refina..

:RpS_scared: but i thought you were Mr Refina.......................:-0

refina are great, just never bothered with a s*p*r*lex.. probably because im fukin hetrosexual ( that means .. dont take man nob ) lol

tried the nela 14 inch s*p*r*lex this morning on a ceiling. wanted so much to like it because its such a fine quality trowel, but i have to say i prefer the refina. have a few more ceilings over the next two day so i will persevere. maybe its because i am now use to the refinas width. i shall know by the end of the week. it doesn't seem to "work" for you like the refina does. anyway i've got to go the dentist i will try and rationalise my thoughts in a day or two

If you don't like it jurek let me know I might av it off ya ,I want to see what all the fuss is about

Your late, should've been there at tooth hurty. :)

Are you finishing with Nela or just a polish at the end?

1st and 2nd coat with the standard nela, then finish with the s*p*r*lex mate, been trying them out and obviously you can finish with the standard , just the s/f makes it way easier... after 2nd coat, quick bew, then flatten right off with the s/f, then 2 more goes with the s/f when ready, job done.. really happy with both trowels....

1st and 2nd coat with the standard nela, then finish with the s*p*r*lex mate, been trying them out and obviously you can finish with the standard , just the s/f makes it way easier... after 2nd coat, quick bew, then flatten right off with the s/f, then 2 more goes with the s/f when ready, job done.. really happy with both trowels....

Ive found the standard nela is pretty good straight out of box for putting on. As for the s*p*r*lex i got 14" i found it leaving lines either side of trowel so i think it needs bit breaking in ...

At the moment i've for gotten how to skim, as i've been rendering a bit lately, and when it come back to skimming i've soo many tools i dont know what to use and when to use them lol

I wet n dried the standard edges down... the s*p*r*lex used straight out the box, no lines, maybe your getting on it a bit early ? dont think it needs breaking in, as its so flexible anyway, from my ltd s/f experience ( and I have been messing about with it ) I would definately say your using it too early, however, flattening off with it and getting slight lines is ok, they will come out when you let it pull in a bit.. I know theres varied views on the nela,s, but I find them very good trowel and the best quality I have seen... and im an old bastad..lol

I do agree they are quality, when i had a quick go when they came i thought these are going to be amazing, but the s*p*r*lex isn't doing it at the moment. the standard is fine for putting on and after a bit of render i think it will be good for troweling up.

I must admit, ever since i started messing about with the refina s*p*r*lex my skimming has gone pear shaped ....

just glide it over mate, no pressure needed, if its just not happening for you, stick with the trowel as normal, and bin the s/f, myself, I never used them and thought they were a fad, but really like them, lads will advice you on here tho... good luck.. were you based ? if your near me, pop up and I;ll show you what I do with it ..

I have used the Nela for 2 days & I was happy with it until I went back to my Marshalltown yesterday & now I'm selling my Nela

just glide it over mate, no pressure needed, if its just not happening for you, stick with the trowel as normal, and bin the s/f, myself, I never used them and thought they were a fad, but really like them, lads will advice you on here tho... good luck.. were you based ? if your near me, pop up and I;ll show you what I do with it ..

confused with it all lol ....... are finding the finish is as good as it would be as your normall trowel? in stoke mate

I have used the Nela for 2 days & I was happy with it until I went back to my Marshalltown yesterday & now I'm selling my Nela

2 day won't do the trowel Justice, give it time. Your MT is what you are used to and very well worn in I would imagine.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

2 day won't do the trowel Justice, give it time. Your MT is what you are used to and very well worn in I would imagine.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Thats why i'm sticking with them Ryan, they feel amazing and need time. They feel alot better than that eze spat thats why i'll give them more of a chance :RpS_biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.