NELA s*p*r*lex Trowel review

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigfella

Alright lads hope I'm starting this in the right place? Got my trowel tonight when I got in and first impression is it looks pretty good the handle is strange looking but feels nice to handle not to heavy, it seems narrower than the other trowel I'm using at the moment but all in all I can't wait to use it tomorrow got to thank Ryan @Plasterers1StopShop for choosing me and @Danny thanks for my tpf mug ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1396561145.100415.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
how muxh are they @Plasterers1StopShop? i can tell just by looking that they are the tits. i want one. have you got them in the warehouse yet :RpS_confused:

Hi @Jurek, they will be in stock by the end of next week. I will put the prices on the Forum today - trying to organise a discount code so you guys can order online and get a T.P.F Discount

Once they are in I will put them onto our website, a post on here and Facebook. Just getting all the logos etc sorted.

Cheers

haha its almost like these trowels have never been spoke of before now:RpS_confused:

be nice to have one if they did i bet:RpS_sneaky: couple of weeks before anyone else say

Well first day using it and im well impressed feels nice in your hand and the steel feels very soft but when your trowelling up it feels nice and firm its still early days but im liking it alot will continue reviewing as I think it will get better and better

finally the confirmation i was looking for haha cheers big man im all over it now, ryan package me up sonshine

A few words on my experience of the Nela trowels from @Plasterers1StopShop

Last Friday we went up to BG for the mine tour and in the afternoon we were lucky enough to have a play with some of their new products, Magnetic and Pure finish.

Danny had brought along the Nela stainless trowel (14 x 4 3/4) and was passing it around in the car park when we all arrived that morning. First impressions on close inspection are that it is of a high build quality, equal if not better than it's competitor Marshalltown. Later that afternoon we would get to have a go with it applying BG's new products with it. The trowel feels comfortable in the hand with a durable cork handle, and with its straight blade it's nice to lay on with out of the box. By this time I had decided I would get one when they are available to buy.

At this point Danny pulled out the Nela version of a s*p*r*lex for us try, again this looks to be of excellent quality. With so much going on I didn't get to do much with this trowel, but Danny was kind enough to let me borrow both Nela trowels for a week!

So this week has seen us doing a mix of work, rendering, F+S, and a bit of skimming. I have used the two trowels as part of every task. As I said before, I was impressed with the Nela stainless trowel so much so that I was going to buy my own, and after using it all week I stand by that. Throughout the week I have run this trowel up on a oilstone when i've had a minute to ease the blade in for for finishing with when skimming.

Then there is the s*p*r*lex version, the s*p*r*lex is 14 x 4.3 so a bit narrower than the standard Nela. I already had a 18 x 5 Refina s*p*r*lex but would rarely use it, like a few others on here it didn't have a place in my set. For a fair comparison I got hold of a 14 x 5 Refina s*p*r*lex and used the 2 for skimming this week, laying on with the standard Nela but troweling with the superflexs. I soon got to grips with the new timings and had it finishing my sets to the same high standards you would expect from your own well worn in trowel, sometimes slightly quicker. There is a couple of things that in my opinion could be improved to perfect it but that is perhaps me and my personal preference, but it will be interesting for me to see what the other guys think of it. Thats not to take anything away from this trowel, it is still a nice trowel in its current form.

Overall both trowels are a worthy investment, I know a few of the lads I work with and I will be putting our orders in.

Thanks to @Danny for letting me take them, il pop over to you and drop them off this weekend, let me know when is convenient. Finally a nod to Ryan and the guys at p1ss for continuing to source us excellent quailty tools at reasonable prices.

nice post, @Wezly :RpS_thumbup: what's the " ... couple of things that in my opinion could be improved to perfect it but that is perhaps me and my personal preference..?" like you say, it's personal preference, but i'm eager to know ... :RpS_mellow: getting a 14 inch anyway so it won't dissuade me in any way. i can see the quality just looking at it. just curious.

nice post, @Wezly :RpS_thumbup: what's the " ... couple of things that in my opinion could be improved to perfect it but that is perhaps me and my personal preference..?" like you say, it's personal preference, but i'm eager to know ... :RpS_mellow: getting a 14 inch anyway so it won't dissuade me in any way. i can see the quality just looking at it. just curious.
I will tell, but would like to wait for others to use theirs and see what they think. Ask me again next week when they have given some feedback. It shouldn't put anyone of parting with their hard earned for one though.

fair enough:RpS_thumbup: i was put off the last one because of the fibre glass but like the look of this one:RpS_thumbup:

i was put off the last one cos the tester sent it back and said it was utter shoit:RpS_thumbup:

@welzy Cheers for the review mate,

Have passed your comments on to the manufacturers and they can change things around if required. As you said though, let's wait to see what the others say. Some of the fb I have had already is that they prefer it. It's a personal choice though.

Thanks again mate, really appreciated

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

A few words on my experience of the Nela trowels from @Plasterers1StopShop

Last Friday we went up to BG for the mine tour and in the afternoon we were lucky enough to have a play with some of their new products, Magnetic and Pure finish.

Danny had brought along the Nela stainless trowel (14 x 4 3/4) and was passing it around in the car park when we all arrived that morning. First impressions on close inspection are that it is of a high build quality, equal if not better than it's competitor Marshalltown. Later that afternoon we would get to have a go with it applying BG's new products with it. The trowel feels comfortable in the hand with a durable cork handle, and with its straight blade it's nice to lay on with out of the box. By this time I had decided I would get one when they are available to buy.

At this point Danny pulled out the Nela version of a s*p*r*lex for us try, again this looks to be of excellent quality. With so much going on I didn't get to do much with this trowel, but Danny was kind enough to let me borrow both Nela trowels for a week!

So this week has seen us doing a mix of work, rendering, F+S, and a bit of skimming. I have used the two trowels as part of every task. As I said before, I was impressed with the Nela stainless trowel so much so that I was going to buy my own, and after using it all week I stand by that. Throughout the week I have run this trowel up on a oilstone when i've had a minute to ease the blade in for for finishing with when skimming.

Then there is the s*p*r*lex version, the s*p*r*lex is 14 x 4.3 so a bit narrower than the standard Nela. I already had a 18 x 5 Refina s*p*r*lex but would rarely use it, like a few others on here it didn't have a place in my set. For a fair comparison I got hold of a 14 x 5 Refina s*p*r*lex and used the 2 for skimming this week, laying on with the standard Nela but troweling with the superflexs. I soon got to grips with the new timings and had it finishing my sets to the same high standards you would expect from your own well worn in trowel, sometimes slightly quicker. There is a couple of things that in my opinion could be improved to perfect it but that is perhaps me and my personal preference, but it will be interesting for me to see what the other guys think of it. Thats not to take anything away from this trowel, it is still a nice trowel in its current form.

Overall both trowels are a worthy investment, I know a few of the lads I work with and I will be putting our orders in.

Thanks to @Danny for letting me take them, il pop over to you and drop them off this weekend, let me know when is convenient. Finally a nod to Ryan and the guys at p1ss for continuing to source us excellent quailty tools at reasonable prices.
Fu cking hell do p1ss sell rope:RpS_laugh:

idea of a review is to post your opinion... not wait to see what others say.. innit ? wtf..lol

Depends on whether your opinions are going to negatively influence the outcome of the other reviews,
I had a go with both these trowels at the bg day and as a consequence have a few opinons myself, which ill wait for other reviews first before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.