Need some help on working out how much sand and cement is needed?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALPRICE

Hi everyone im Adam. Im a young lad recently gone self employed and im really not sure when it comes to rendering, I can render fine got no problems with that just becase when I served my time I never had to worry about materials and how much was needed, now im obviously having to price work and need an idea of how much does a tonne of sand cover on fresh block work and then how much cement to each tonne would you guys recommend, I tend to mix my render at 4-1, if somebody could give me some tips etc I would be very greatfull your always learning in this game!! Thank you

Hi everyone im Adam. Im a young lad recently gone self employed and im really not sure when it comes to rendering, I can render fine got no problems with that just becase when I served my time I never had to worry about materials and how much was needed, now im obviously having to price work and need an idea of how much does a tonne of sand cover on fresh block work and then how much cement to each tonne would you guys recommend, I tend to mix my render at 4-1, if somebody could give me some tips etc I would be very greatfull your always learning in this game!! Thank you

:RpS_sneaky: Can u not ask your old boss. Welcome

Welcome along bud :RpS_thumbsup: what colour pants are you wearing?

Dumpy bags are usually under a tonne, so think mathematically . What's your mix ratio e.g. 4:1 how much sand? Divide by 4 e.g 1000kg of sand = 250kg cement. 10 bags .a ton covers about 30 metres give or take.
1 question alprice, did you not take note of how much gear was being used when you where learning? :RpS_sneaky:
Let me know about them pants:RpS_thumbup:

This sounds a very familiar worded question by somebody else?? Almost word for word ???:RpS_confused:

40m2 per ton. Cause it depends on what thickness and good block work or bad brick work etc. Cement maybe 8 bags. You mix it stronger than me so you will use quite a bit. Do your first job and price generously on the materials side then monitor your quantities used. Everyones usage / thickness / strength is different.

This sounds a very familiar worded question by somebody else?? Almost word for word ???:RpS_confused:
It is, I got my head bitten off last time for questioning why someone is trading without all the necessary knowledge.

40m2 per ton. Cause it depends on what thickness and good block work or bad brick work etc. Cement maybe 8 bags. You mix it stronger than me so you will use quite a bit. Do your first job and price generously on the materials side then monitor your quantities used. Everyones usage / thickness / strength is different.

Like. @Danny where did the like button go on the app

Last edited by a moderator:
@thechlemo we are still working on getting it back on the app...

Had to change software to a more secure stable one and its not compatible with the app just yet :)

Hi Adam
1 cubic ton sand + 1/4 ton cement = approx 68m2 at approx 18mm thickness.
As your starting out and your maths need honing get your self a construction master calculator £120-00

Hi Adam
1 cubic ton sand + 1/4 ton cement = approx 68m2 at approx 18mm thickness.
As your starting out and your maths need honing get your self a construction master calculator £120-00

Wow you get nearly double the coverage out of your sand than the others have said.

What sand is it??

Hi Carlos, 1cube slice through at 18 mm you get 55m2 add the cement 18 approx tote 68m2 basic maths. oh! the sharp washed one

ta and to be honest we didn't do a lot of rendering and when we did it was delivered ready mixed, I had a rough idea just wanted to see what other people would suggest aswell thanks for the advice

thank you everyone who posted something worth my time to read a few clever arses on here I see lol why do all plasterers think there way is the only way? the mind boggles

who .... :RpS_confused:
Can't remember it was a newbie and was almost word for word?? Let's be fair there have been some strange posts latley and I can't help but think some are defo wind ups?? :RpS_sneaky:

take the superficial area say 135m2 times it by the thickness say 20mm and times it by two
so you have 135 x 20 x 2 and that equals 5,400 so you need 5.4 tonnes of sand and cement,
if it were me then i would order 6 tonnes , you work it out as if you were calculating a floor screed.
remember to always top out with a weaker mix than the scratch coat ( you never make to the top coat stronger
than the scratch coat) and think about mixing your sand 50/50 red and yellow its easyier to work with
and adding lime makes it a lot easier to work with, basicaly a render is a pressed screed on a wall.
allways use ss beads or plastic - galv are rubbish - if you are doing quoins make sure the bottom cut is angled
to allow water to drip off - good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.