Need some advice

Members online

MK plastering

I've been plastering for 5 years and have recently started taking on private jobs, but this one has me stumped. Customer wants an exterior wall rendered but it's not so straight forward. Long story short it's either side of a doorway, one side has a 2inch reveal and the other side has no reveal. The customer wants me to make a reveal up the other side and sort out the side that has a reveal as it's all over the place. I will hack off the old reveal and put a new bead there and render it in no worries but on the other side is where I'm unsure. Obviously 2 inches of sand and cement isn't an option im presuming the best plan would be to fix some type of 1.5inch board to the side that needs pulling out then bead and render to match the other side. What type of board would be best I've personally never used sand and cement on any type of board. Any help would be much appreciated hope the video helps and that you can see what I'm dealing with

I've been plastering for 5 years and have recently started taking on private jobs, but this one has me stumped. Customer wants an exterior wall rendered but it's not so straight forward. Long story short it's either side of a doorway, one side has a 2inch reveal and the other side has no reveal. The customer wants me to make a reveal up the other side and sort out the side that has a reveal as it's all over the place. I will hack off the old reveal and put a new bead there and render it in no worries but on the other side is where I'm unsure. Obviously 2 inches of sand and cement isn't an option im presuming the best plan would be to fix some type of 1.5inch board to the side that needs pulling out then bead and render to match the other side. What type of board would be best I've personally never used sand and cement on any type of board. Any help would be much appreciated hope the video helps and that you can see what I'm dealing with
View attachment 60636
Put a 40mm insulation board on it with a 10mm bead and use a base coat with mesh do not use sand and cement over the board there are loads of types of base Coates designed to go over insulation board

Put a 40mm insulation board on it with a 10mm bead and use a base coat with mesh do not use sand and cement over the board there are loads of types of base Coates designed to go over insulation board
Won't the difference between sand and cement one side and basecoat on the other side look a bit daft? So your saying base and mesh one side then give it a slurry coat get it banging flat and leave it. Wouldn't I have to mesh round the corner to prevent cracking? How would that go down with basecoat over the existing sand and cement?

Video won’t play. :rolleyes:
That's a photo of the side that needs pulling out, need to pull it out so there's a roughly equal overhang continuing around the internal corner there. About 2 inches is what's needed
PXL_20210429_161644040.jpg

Won't the difference between sand and cement one side and basecoat on the other side look a bit daft? So your saying base and mesh one side then give it a slurry coat get it banging flat and leave it. Wouldn't I have to mesh round the corner to prevent cracking? How would that go down with basecoat over the existing sand and cement?
You will have to continue the board over the head and die it out somewhere and yes mesh round the corner the board that continues over shouldn't be cut in two pieces it should be an L Shape all the base coates sponge up like sand and cement so just use something like hp12 also going over paint is not recommended either take it off or e.m.l it or mesh and plug it

You will have to continue the board over the head and die it out somewhere and yes mesh round the corner the board that continues over shouldn't be cut in two pieces it should be an L Shape all the base coates sponge up like sand and cement so just use something like hp12 also going over paint is not recommended either take it off or e.m.l it or mesh and plug it
Just to be clear just use base coat everywhere and mesh and plug the side you are not boarding don't give yourself too much to do in one day if you're not confident get everything prepared one day then finish it another