Need some Advice with render on plasterboard

Members online

kierenc

Hi All,

We are wanting to do a white sand and cement render finish for an internal plasterboard wall. However because of the detailing for the floorboards etc. We only have about 10mm to work with. We applied a grit coat to the plasterboard, we were wondering if we screwed in a wire mesh, and used hydrated lime could we get away with one single 10mm coat?

Thanks,

Hi All,

We are wanting to do a white sand and cement render finish for an internal plasterboard wall. However because of the detailing for the floorboards etc. We only have about 10mm to work with. We applied a grit coat to the plasterboard, we were wondering if we screwed in a wire mesh, and used hydrated lime could we get away with one single 10mm coat?

Thanks,
Why s&c?

Hi All,

Thanks,

i would use Parex Parinter. you can apply it about 2mm to 3 mm , rubs up like a sand and cement finish and it is white.
you could use Thistle universal also white if still available.
you may be able to find some Making good plaster, or m/g bonding from B and Q if they still have any in stock. both these are white.
you want believe this but i took my left over bags of M/G plaster to the dump this morning.

Last edited:
Board addy and sand 3:1
Fire Smoke GIF by Four Rest Films

i would use Parex Parinter. you can apply it about 2mm to 3 mm , rubs up like a sand and cement finish and it is white.
you could use Thistle universal also white if still available.
you may be able to find some Making good plaster, or m/g bonding from B and Q if they still have any in stock. both these are white.
you want believe this but i took my left over bags of M/G plaster to the dump this morning.
Thanks for the options, I am currently based in Dublin and cause of brexit I am having issues getting anything to Dublin from the UK in a reasonable time so the parex parinter is not a feasible option.

haha, would the M/G plaster have a similar finish to a sponge floated cement render?

Hi All,

Thanks,
Yes will be fine

How bigs the area?Also is it something your trying to tackle yourself or do you have a plasterer?

We have a plaster but he isn't sure, he has other recommendations such as using sandtex high build paint etc. but I know that it won't look exactly like the exterior finish, and the suggested options are not easily accessible and we are under a time constraint.

The bits that I want to have rendered like the outside are in orange (grit coat).

The external finish is also attached in the picture below, just white sand and white cement with a sponge float.

Thanks for the suggestion and help guys, plasterersforum is great haha

IMG_20201019_125825.jpg

PXL_20210204_224942469.jpg

We have a plaster but he isn't sure, he has other recommendations such as using sandtex high build paint etc. but I know that it won't look exactly like the exterior finish, and the suggested options are not easily accessible and we are under a time constraint.

The bits that I want to have rendered like the outside are in orange (grit coat).

The external finish is also attached in the picture below, just white sand and white cement with a sponge float.

Thanks for the suggestion and help guys, plasterersforum is great haha

View attachment 58405

View attachment 58404
It will be fine, I think there’s a few people here that are trying to be a bit clever giving you fake info and trying to deter you. I understand what your doing and what you want to achieve and it will be fine

Hi All,

Thanks,
Skim it and paint it white! Ha

Thanks for the options, I am currently based in Dublin and cause of brexit I am having issues getting anything to Dublin from the UK in a reasonable time so the parex parinter is not a feasible option.

haha, would the M/G plaster have a similar finish to a sponge floated cement render?
Use White cement and what we call silver sand it’s also white it will be Snow White when it drys we use this a lot outside,white cement is stronger than normal so the ratio of sand is different I’m also in Ireland but definitely not over plasterboard

1615484317555.png
1615484344160.png

Been up for about a month now, only one slight hairline crack, will report again when more time has elapsed