Need some advice on some recent plastering work

I'd get someone else out to give you a written quote that how much it is to put it right then present it to him, so he either pays up or you go down the legal route.
Could be a long fruitless route tho zol:(
Small claims court? Don't know where you could take this and get a result?

He went back to brick in *some* places - only a few small sections though where the previous plaster had come away from the wall (owner before me had wallpapered the f**k out of everything and kept it this way for over twenty years so may explain plaster coming away in random places?)

He overboarded the ceilings in both rooms. Skimmed all walls - the walls in the living room were artex - dining room walls were plain and had just had wallpaper stripped two weeks prior. Said he couldn't sand the artex it was too thick so just plastered straight over it.

He did some damp proofing along the external wall in dining room and living room - he'd seen we'd had a damp proofer round (I didn't want damp proofing at all cos I think it's a bit of a scam) but he said special plaster would be good.

he advised we have the skirting fitted after carpet was laid and said he could do it - I had no reason not to trust him at this point so said alright.

I realise reading this what a moron I've been and that anybody who thinks they can do everything is probably having you on...
Stop beating yourself up what’s done is done you got confirmation of what you thought and really it’s gonna cost to put right but what you lost on that clown don’t try save money on next bloke who will put it right

You don't need opinions on it,,you know yourself.
I hate seeing this kind of thing happen, but sadly it is all to common now.
How did you source this "plasterer"..?
What was your info on him?

Went on mybuilder, not my ideal port of call but I'm new to area and don't know anyone yet.

He had good reviews and pictures looked good and he's a good bloke - just not good at his job.

One review did mention about the finishing around doors and stuff but he'd come back and said he takes feedback on board and tries hard to improve. I like to think everybody deserves a chance and I know sometimes people can be harsh when it comes to reviews so I didn't let that put me off.

Met him and he was an alright chap and easy to get on with, seemed to talk the talk and was quite helpful.

I feel like he didn't care about this job at all and didn't put the time or effort in it needed. I also realise he doesn't know anything about old houses and hes buggered mine.

He went back to brick in *some* places - only a few small sections though where the previous plaster had come away from the wall (owner before me had wallpapered the f**k out of everything and kept it this way for over twenty years so may explain plaster coming away in random places?)

He overboarded the ceilings in both rooms. Skimmed all walls - the walls in the living room were artex - dining room walls were plain and had just had wallpaper stripped two weeks prior. Said he couldn't sand the artex it was too thick so just plastered straight over it.

He did some damp proofing along the external wall in dining room and living room - he'd seen we'd had a damp proofer round (I didn't want damp proofing at all cos I think it's a bit of a scam) but he said special plaster would be good.

he advised we have the skirting fitted after carpet was laid and said he could do it - I had no reason not to trust him at this point so said alright.

I realise reading this what a moron I've been and that anybody who thinks they can do everything is probably having you on...
Did he sometimes slap his hip and go “yee haw”

Went on mybuilder, not my ideal port of call but I'm new to area and don't know anyone yet.

He had good reviews and pictures looked good and he's a good bloke - just not good at his job.

One review did mention about the finishing around doors and stuff but he'd come back and said he takes feedback on board and tries hard to improve. I like to think everybody deserves a chance and I know sometimes people can be harsh when it comes to reviews so I didn't let that put me off.

Met him and he was an alright chap and easy to get on with, seemed to talk the talk and was quite helpful.

I feel like he didn't care about this job at all and didn't put the time or effort in it needed. I also realise he doesn't know anything about old houses and hes buggered mine.
Is plenty out there but talk the talk

:DSense of humour here I sense. People like you I like :)

Did you check the walls? Am sure if you tap on them they will sound hollow. Wallpaper tells only one story- crack all over and failed render. Wallpaper actually holds the render not to fall on your head.

Overboarding the ceiling..... he probably hit the lath instead of the timber. Check that, if so , it's another failure- cracks to follow shortly.

You have waterproof your mistakes I am afraid

Now you know how we are looking at the whole thing....... unbelievable

Could be a long fruitless route tho zol:(
Small claims court? Don't know where you could take this and get a result?
I've no idea, tbh and I'm being honest here, I myself produced some shite in the past and it will happen again but in no way I would take money for this "job"
Small claims is an option so as trading standards, don't know

Good reviews from friends and family maybe , the quality is really bad . He couldn’t do a dolls house in a farmyard let alone a new house, he is missing the skill, the knowledge and the tools probably

I know.
I'm so mad at myself for listening to this out of all the s**t he said.
Paid quite a bit for a nice carpet that's now splotched with plaster and stuck under some split skirting...
First port of call for plastering should be on here my friend regulars will vouch for each other and we wouldn’t let a vulture try take Work if a regular shows an interest

Good reviews from friends and family maybe , the quality is really bad . He couldn’t do a dolls house in a farmyard let alone a new house, he is missing the skill, the knowledge and the tools probably
I hope he ain’t going round doing drainage cos you know headache that causes

I know.
I'm so mad at myself for listening to this out of all the s**t he said.
Paid quite a bit for a nice carpet that's now splotched with plaster and stuck under some split skirting...
Whats your next move then,live with it or get it fixed?

Just say what area you are in and a proper well known member and local spread will help you out without taking the piss! Checkatrade Trust a builder pffftt!!!!

Whats your next move then,live with it or get it fixed?

I'm gonna have to get it fixed, the whole house was a bodge job when I bought it and I wanted to do a proper job of everything and bring it back to its former glory - it's got so much potential.

I'll be looking at getting someone round to price things up (taking in the advice of handing him the bill although have a feeling this won't go down well) and see what they can do to fix it properly. Based in Chesterfield if anyone is nearby to come give a helping hand?

Trouble is with the architraves that if is a reskim you meant to plant a 3mm face on it so it's something to skim up to or change the frame. The scotia could do with a return here and there, the skirting is a bit wank fixed with the screw an not mitred where 2 lengths meet. O couldn't live with it

I'm gonna have to get it fixed, the whole house was a bodge job when I bought it and I wanted to do a proper job of everything and bring it back to its former glory - it's got so much potential.

I'll be looking at getting someone round to price things up (taking in the advice of handing him the bill although have a feeling this won't go down well) and see what they can do to fix it properly. Based in Chesterfield if anyone is nearby to come give a helping hand?
I’m in the money pit of London so no good to me unless you wanna pay my digs travel and I’m also gonna want a nice back rub every night

Trouble is with the architraves that if is a reskim you meant to plant a 3mm face on it so it's something to skim up to or change the frame. The scotia could do with a return here and there, the skirting is a bit wank fixed with the screw an not mitred where 2 lengths meet. O couldn't live with it
O couldn’t either

Sydenham ,jews walk he said
I see him today in his van I was behind him I tried getting his attention but he just ignores a peasant like me,I had a good day over brockwell park kids really enjoyed it I only went cos thought I would meet our tranny friend