Need some advice on some recent plastering work

ObiWan

Alright fellas,

New to the forum and have joined for some advice really after what I'm considering a pretty bad plastering job.

House is over 100 years old; hired a chap to come and overboard and skim ceilings, skim walls - taken back to bare brick in some areas. He's also done a bit of special damp plastering in some areas and said he could refit skirting boards and architrave afterwards for an extra cost so I agreed. Price quoted for plastering was 1400 quid this was for dining room and living room. Took him about 6/7 days to get done on his own. Cost an extra 300 for him to purchase and fit the skirting.

I wasn't happy with the job when he'd done; walls were uneven, holes in places, poor finish around door frames etc. but he said he was coming back to finish up so I left it and hoped it would look better when he came back. He came back a couple of weeks later to fit the skirting and check everything- turns out the plaster had blown on a couple of walls in one room and had to be redone. Bare in mind the whole time we'd had no heating on as we weren't living there so the plaster had dried naturally.

Came back to redo the two walls and finished up with the skirting and architrave and now the fresh two walls have cracks all over and are looking blown in places.

The entire job is a mess. I have holes above sockets and light fittings where the chap just hasn't done it properly, the walls are lumpy and full of imperfections, theres cracks everywhere and to top it all off the skirting and architrave is split and doesn't match in places. I could have done a better job myself and I have zero joinery skills.

He showed little care and respect when doing the job and everything was coated in plaster, I mean big chunks of it to the point I had to go round scraping it all off before I moved in.

I went to go put the mist coat on in the dining room while I'm waiting for the second round of plaster to dry in the other room and with the sunlight shining on it I realised how f*****g horrible it looks and what a shoddy jobs been done and decided not to bother.

I've raised issues with plasterer and he's coming back next week to fix what he calls 'snags'. I don't consider it snags and I'm not filled with confidence he'll sort it if this what thinks it is.

I'll post some pictures of just *some* of the stuff otherwise I'd be here all day. Really appreciate if you could all let me know what you think and what I should do.

ObiWan

Attachments

• IMG_6239.JPG
    IMG_6239.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 3,511
  • IMG_6240.JPG
    IMG_6240.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_6243.JPG
    IMG_6243.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_6244.JPG
    IMG_6244.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_6246.JPG
    IMG_6246.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_6248.JPG
    IMG_6248.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_6249.JPG
    IMG_6249.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 1,135
  • IMG_6250.JPG
    IMG_6250.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_6251.JPG
    IMG_6251.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 1,138
  • IMG_6253.JPG
    IMG_6253.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 726
You don't need anyone to tell you that's beyond awful, you already know it is.

Personally, I wouldn't have him anywhere near it again because if it's that bad when he's getting paid, imagine what it'll be like when he's working for nothing. Put a post on the work available section on here, or find someone locally, and get a plasterer out to give you advice on where to go from here.

Alright ObiWan ,
Puzzled I am, using gypsum n 100 years old house advised you who

The guy that did the plastering came and quoted and saw the walls etc.
I was happy with what he quoted and left him to do the job - I don't know all that much about plastering (luckily my dad used to be a plasterer back in day) so I didn't ask about materials or anything but I know now I should have really.

The walls in the living room were artex - contained asbestos. I let him know this beforehand and he was happy to go ahead anyway. Plasterer tried sanding em down but said it was too thick so then skimmed over. The two thickest artex walls are the ones the plaster failed on. When he came back he used pregrit etc. But they've cracked again.

I'm peed off a bit if I'm honest because I pre planned so I had plenty of time (about two months) to have the messy work done before I moved in and it's not worked out that way at all because of someone's total incompetence.

Do you think it all needs to come off and start afresh?

You took a cheap quote,,,, and he Defo isn’t a proper Plasterer he is a multi turd, if I was pricing a job but was asked to do skirtings and architrave ect I would of said that’s not my game but could give you a number of a bloke I know or I could price and get some one into do it price with materials seems bit low to me thing is it’s done now and you have learnt a lesson here I doubt you will get money back or it resolved we have seen it many a time on here, next time if you need a Plasterer post it on here and wait for a regular to show an interest many of us have helped each other out or passed work around and they can be vouched for might be a bit more expensive but you will get what you are paying for

Don't let him through the front door again that's utter dogSH!t.
Get someone off here to come and look salvage what can be and redo the rest properly.

You took a cheap quote,,,, and he Defo isn’t a proper Plasterer he is a multi turd, if I was pricing a job but was asked to do skirtings and architrave ect I would of said that’s not my game but could give you a number of a bloke I know or I could price and get some one into do it price with materials seems bit low to me thing is it’s done now and you have learnt a lesson here I doubt you will get money back or it resolved we have seen it many a time on here, next time if you need a Plasterer post it on here and wait for a regular to show an interest many of us have helped each other out or passed work around and they can be vouched for might be a bit more expensive but you will get what you are paying for

The thing is I would have been happy to pay more, I have the budget I just didn't know that wasn't right. I had a feeling about the skirting and architrave but in my naivety I assumed someone wouldn't offer to do it if they couldn't do a good job of it.

Lesson learnt

Something smells here ,the photos ,the post , there’s more than a hint of BS

Not really sure why you think there's BS or what you seem to have a problem with? I've given as much info as honestly as I can. I don't make a habit of calling people out but this has took the the p**s and I wanted some advice and just generally a gauge of how bad the work is.

Think I wanted to check I'm not over reacting and it's standard - think most people have confirmed this isn't standard and I appreciate the input.

He's a patch loads of them about a Dan

The thing is I would have been happy to pay more, I have the budget I just didn't know that wasn't right. I had a feeling about the skirting and architrave but in my naivety I assumed someone wouldn't offer to do it if they couldn't do a good job of it.

Lesson learnt
Some times mate it might seem that we on here can come across pretty brutal in our replies but really it’s tough love you know it’s shite and it is shite if I’m honest you might not be manual labour oriented but u ain’t silly and know if it looks right you have had your pants pulled down and it’s insulting to us on here someone is bringing our name down, I would forget getting him back and doubt your get any money back so what is done is done and you seem like you have learnt from it,where are you based maybe if one of us near you we could pop in and give you few options on how to sort it out

Not really sure why you think there's BS or what you seem to have a problem with? I've given as much info as honestly as I can. I don't make a habit of calling people out but this has took the the p**s and I wanted some advice and just generally a gauge of how bad the work is.

Think I wanted to check I'm not over reacting and it's standard - think most people have confirmed this isn't standard and I appreciate the input.
You not over reacting by any means.

Obi wan. Your padawan has s**t all over you. I wouldn’t have it mate, a swift kick in the tabs will probably sort it! :tonto:

Alright fellas,

New to the forum and have joined for some advice really after what I'm considering a pretty bad plastering job.

House is over 100 years old; hired a chap to come and overboard and skim ceilings, skim walls - taken back to bare brick in some areas. He's also done a bit of special damp plastering in some areas and said he could refit skirting boards and architrave afterwards for an extra cost so I agreed. Price quoted for plastering was 1400 quid this was for dining room and living room. Took him about 6/7 days to get done on his own. Cost an extra 300 for him to purchase and fit the skirting.

I wasn't happy with the job when he'd done; walls were uneven, holes in places, poor finish around door frames etc. but he said he was coming back to finish up so I left it and hoped it would look better when he came back. He came back a couple of weeks later to fit the skirting and check everything- turns out the plaster had blown on a couple of walls in one room and had to be redone. Bare in mind the whole time we'd had no heating on as we weren't living there so the plaster had dried naturally.

Came back to redo the two walls and finished up with the skirting and architrave and now the fresh two walls have cracks all over and are looking blown in places.

The entire job is a mess. I have holes above sockets and light fittings where the chap just hasn't done it properly, the walls are lumpy and full of imperfections, theres cracks everywhere and to top it all off the skirting and architrave is split and doesn't match in places. I could have done a better job myself and I have zero joinery skills.

He showed little care and respect when doing the job and everything was coated in plaster, I mean big chunks of it to the point I had to go round scraping it all off before I moved in.

I went to go put the mist coat on in the dining room while I'm waiting for the second round of plaster to dry in the other room and with the sunlight shining on it I realised how f*****g horrible it looks and what a shoddy jobs been done and decided not to bother.

I've raised issues with plasterer and he's coming back next week to fix what he calls 'snags'. I don't consider it snags and I'm not filled with confidence he'll sort it if this what thinks it is.

I'll post some pictures of just *some* of the stuff otherwise I'd be here all day. Really appreciate if you could all let me know what you think and what I should do.

ObiWan

tell him you need your money back to get it re done.
its a mess.

The guy that did the plastering came and quoted and saw the walls etc.
I was happy with what he quoted and left him to do the job - I don't know all that much about plastering (luckily my dad used to be a plasterer back in day) so I didn't ask about materials or anything but I know now I should have really.

The walls in the living room were artex - contained asbestos. I let him know this beforehand and he was happy to go ahead anyway. Plasterer tried sanding em down but said it was too thick so then skimmed over. The two thickest artex walls are the ones the plaster failed on. When he came back he used pregrit etc. But they've cracked again.

I'm peed off a bit if I'm honest because I pre planned so I had plenty of time (about two months) to have the messy work done before I moved in and it's not worked out that way at all because of someone's total incompetence.

Do you think it all needs to come off and start afresh?
Just to make it clear.... he went back to brick...... he overboarded.........he did some damp proof........ he sanded some artex........skirting....architraves..... I am surprised he didn't do any plumbing and wiring for you. In all honesty it's hard to say what it is looking only at the pictures without knowing anything else.Where are you based btw?

Alright fellas,

ObiWan
You don't need opinions on it,,you know yourself.
I hate seeing this kind of thing happen, but sadly it is all to common now.
How did you source this "plasterer"..?
What was your info on him?

Just to make it clear.... he went back to brick...... he overboarded.........he did some damp proof........ he sanded some artex........skirting....architraves..... I am surprised he didn't do any plumbing and wiring for you. In all honesty it's hard to say what it is looking only at the pictures without knowing anything else.Where are you based btw?
Glad you held back in your assessment of how job was done lol

He went back to brick in *some* places - only a few small sections though where the previous plaster had come away from the wall (owner before me had wallpapered the f**k out of everything and kept it this way for over twenty years so may explain plaster coming away in random places?)

He overboarded the ceilings in both rooms. Skimmed all walls - the walls in the living room were artex - dining room walls were plain and had just had wallpaper stripped two weeks prior. Said he couldn't sand the artex it was too thick so just plastered straight over it.

He did some damp proofing along the external wall in dining room and living room - he'd seen we'd had a damp proofer round (I didn't want damp proofing at all cos I think it's a bit of a scam) but he said special plaster would be good.

he advised we have the skirting fitted after carpet was laid and said he could do it - I had no reason not to trust him at this point so said alright.

I realise reading this what a moron I've been and that anybody who thinks they can do everything is probably having you on...

He went back to brick in *some* places - only a few small sections though where the previous plaster had come away from the wall (owner before me had wallpapered the f**k out of everything and kept it this way for over twenty years so may explain plaster coming away in random places?)

He overboarded the ceilings in both rooms. Skimmed all walls - the walls in the living room were artex - dining room walls were plain and had just had wallpaper stripped two weeks prior. Said he couldn't sand the artex it was too thick so just plastered straight over it.

He did some damp proofing along the external wall in dining room and living room - he'd seen we'd had a damp proofer round (I didn't want damp proofing at all cos I think it's a bit of a scam) but he said special plaster would be good.

he advised we have the skirting fitted after carpet was laid and said he could do it - I had no reason not to trust him at this point so said alright.

I realise reading this what a moron I've been and that anybody who thinks they can do everything is probably having you on...
The problem I have is everything is terrible ,not even close to an acceptable quality ,it would have to improve ten fold to get to bad,it looks really old too as if it was done ages ago,

Ye

Yeah I didn't think it was all that cheap considering I'm up North as well but I guess at the end of the day if I'd paid more I'd have got a proper job.
I'd get someone else out to give you a written quote that how much it is to put it right then present it to him, so he either pays up or you go down the legal route.