Need help please. Cracked thermalite causing cracked plaster.

daniwilliams81

Hello.
I'm looking for some advice please on what to do about cracked Thermalite blocks which have caused the plaster to crack in several areas of my Mums house, upstairs and down.
There's no subsidence cracks on the external walls, just internal and no 'step' cracks, just mainly vertical.
They're not wider than 2mm, most no bigger than the width of card paper but there are a lot of them, i.e in every room where the brick walls are, which have caused unsightly cracks in the plaster. They've been there for quite a while which has allowed the heat, humidity etc. to enter the cavity during Winter and caused the brickwork to become visible over the plaster and paintwork.

After a bit of research, I've found this isn't so much of a problem, and after the Summer we've had so far I'd reckon any on moisture being dried out of the Thermalite pretty quickly, so once these cracks are sealed it should hopefully disappear with a fresh few coats of emulsion.

(The reason it was left like that was because my mum is now a widow and almost 70, having to run a 3-bed house by herself which is now too much. My dad battled cancer for a long time and after the costs of treatments etc whilst trying to run the house, it left them broke, so when he died a few years ago, she never had any money to fix up the problems in the house to sell it. So this is where i come in. She's having to work 14 hour shifts at a care home just to make ends meet and I'm not tolerating it anymore. She owns the house now and deserves to retire. )

My question therefore to anyone who could kindly help me, is what would be the best way to fill these Thermalite cracks so i can fill the plaster and paint without the cracks re-occurring? Would expanding foam be OK with a normal filler in the widened grooves I've made where the cracks were over the top or should i widen the grooves to a uniform vertical gap a few inches wide to expose the full crack, use bonding and then plaster over? Please bear in mind this is a cost effective job, not an unscrupulous bodge but just something that will be safe, sound and effective to never cause future buyers any problems.

I can take some photos if required.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

best and cheapest way to get over this is get a good painter or yourself to RAKE out and fill with a good strong filler and sand down, don't use plaster to fill. This happened a lot on the sites 30/40 years back when most houses were built with thermalite blocks , and they were floated with browning which is a much weaker backing than modern backing coats of today. This should not be a big job so if it fails you should of only lost few hours of work

Hello all. Thank you for getting back to me. It's very much appreciated.

I've uploaded some images of two cracks at various sections of the wall. One is attached to an external chimney breast where the two sides meet the internal wall (i cannot get through the hole so i don't think it goes through into the flue. Just where the wall and chimney attach. There's no external cracks, bows etc.) The other is on the same wall but towards the right corner of the room and stops 3/4 of the way up the wall where it seems to disappear.
I have a suspicion that the upstairs bedroom has the same problem because the plaster cracks are wider and one area has horizontal cracks which to me look like the outline of the block. That one is in the left corner of the bedroom. I'll take some photos of that too later on today.
DSC00954.JPG
DSC00953.JPG )
DSC00950.JPG
DSC00949.JPG
DSC00951.JPG
DSC00952.JPG

Hopefully the photos are clear enough. Again, any advice will be much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Dan

I think I would go with north east spread on this otherwise it could be quite expensive, he is right about Browning it was useless on these blocks and if you hack about at it you may open up a whole new can of worms

I think I would go with north east spread on this otherwise it could be quite expensive, he is right about Browning it was useless on these blocks and if you hack about at it you may open up a whole new can of worms

Thanks mate, I agree. I won't open these up anymore I'll fill them as they are. I've bought some PVA adhesive to get a better bond when i put the initial filler in, and then a fine filler for the finish, sanding and decorating.

There are quite a number of these similar type cracks in every room with the same bricks so it's going to be a lengthy scraping and filling job.

Thank you for all your help.

All the best.

I think as suggested pay a good decorator a days wages. To fill .make good all cracks. They will make a much better job of it with less mess than yourself no offence. Then you can rub it down and paint. Cheers.