Neater Ceiling Edges

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWilson

Hey, quite new to forums. But willing to ask for any advice. :)

I skimmed a 4x4m ceiling today and look good, except the edges which I splattered down, an inch on every wall, seem to have done this before. I work alone, sometimes just feel a bit rushed and focus too much on trying to get the edges neat but fail.

I've actually been to college to learn plastering, but its a bit different when the ceilings are old.

So any suggestions: My thoughts were (hey, apart from using coving to cover up)
  • Skim the ceiling, f*&% the edges until very last, then concentrate on them
  • Tape around the ceiling edges to protect (ummm... this isn't really the direction I want to go in though is it)
Is there any tips you can give me?

I put both coats of plaster on then clean the edges down then push them in so they fill up to the wall maybe give them a bit of a clean down with a small brush but not too much cos Ull wash them out, then they're pretty sorted for the rest of the set

pva the walls about 4 inches down from the ceiling. scrim the ceiling lines. twitch the ceiling lines, blend in the wall edge , sponge the wall to give a clean joint.

also if you are working away from the edge dont start with a trowelable right close start a few inches away then on the 2nd stroke fill out that void...

I was taught to feather eadge my edges so that if they get coved its easier...

seriously... run your splash brush down the angle then trowel up, finish with border brush.. thats what i do, but what do i know....

Hey, quite new to forums. But willing to ask for any advice. :)

I skimmed a 4x4m ceiling today and look good, except the edges which I splattered down, an inch on every wall, seem to have done this before. I work alone, sometimes just feel a bit rushed and focus too much on trying to get the edges neat but fail.

I've actually been to college to learn plastering, but its a bit different when the ceilings are old.

So any suggestions: My thoughts were (hey, apart from using coving to cover up)
  • Skim the ceiling, f*&% the edges until very last, then concentrate on them
  • Tape around the ceiling edges to protect (ummm... this isn't really the direction I want to go in though is it)
Is there any tips you can give me?
Sponge it. Leaves it real nice. Same with reveals

Play were on the edge of nowere by lady gaga till it straigtens itself out! Or use uri gella spoon bending techniques!
gif-geller-uri.jpeg

Cheers, thanks for the advice, I definitely feel more wise. I am going to do what Danny wrote until I get more experience and faster.

Awoooo awoooo!!

Some tricks you'll only get taught by top notch spreads/ old school bosses

If it's what you've been taught you think it's acceptable, IMO the decorator will get over that!! If not it's not my house :birra:

pva the walls about 4 inches down from the ceiling. scrim the ceiling lines. twitch the ceiling lines, blend in the wall edge , sponge the wall to give a clean joint.
Not sure if I follow this. So you put scrim along the angle and skim down on the wall a few inches and blend it away when doing ceilings? What if the walls are papered?

My old man bangs on about chopping out the top 2" of the walls when over boarding and bonding in to do the scrim joint.

I can't ever remember him doing it. Just sometimes did what malc said. More often than not did nothing. I am much the same. If it cracks a bit caulk will sort it.

My old man bangs on about chopping out the top 2" of the walls when over boarding and bonding in to do the scrim joint.

I can't ever remember him doing it.

that was the way we were trained, but every year more corners are cut.

Used to go down the wall like Malc said, now just scrim it and keep wall clean & when finished cut off the scrim in the angle and whip it off the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.