Mystery damp

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
then i'd go with arty and the airbricks; it needs circulation. even if they say they had the windows open for a week and nothing changed ... they might have had them open for a couple of hours each day and then closed them and banged the central heating on at night. if there's nowt wrong with the roofline and it's dry when scratched and the neighbour seems to be suffering the same, what else can it be? ..... then again, if shes only had the problem since the refurb ....:RpS_confused:

:RpS_laugh:...............i was taken the p1ss out of flynny with the airbrick comment cos thats his answer to every damp problem...........................or maybe im right....................:RpS_unsure:.

have you checked what the humidity readings are flynny?. you get get little cheap meters for a fiver. up to 55-60% is about the limit the room should be at then above that its condensationtatsic

You misunderestimate yourself, arty. It needs an airbrick.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

The problem never used to be there. The house has been refurbed. New central heating. New UPVC windows. The problem is down each corner of exterior wall, where there's less circulation. Plasters dry when scratched :confused:

Put an airbrick in. I will take full responsibility. Unless she dies of hypothermia :eek: or put an industrial extractor fan in the top corner. My advice is free and given in good faith. By adding to my reputation you enable me to carry on helping other people.

YeS bone dry I mentioned to her to have a word with the neighbour but she said they were weird so that was the end if that

my money is on the roof, those rosemary tiles do crack and one or two may have slipped.
these weird neighbours ,are they growing some plants in the bedrooms on a hydroponics system. is there any smell in the room?

there's no felt, just batten and torching. rainwater's not going to get in higher up and trickle down. if it was the roof then the cracked tiles would be in the immediate area of the problem i.e right down by the wall plate. there's plenty of ventilation in the loft. the soffits aren't stuffed. it needs more insulation in the loft, trickle vents in the windows and a louvred airbrick.

Yeah go on then. I'd suggest insulation and ventilation. It's got to be dead air in them corners in what must be a pretty cold room.

Wait. Is there a bathroom or shower room close by as well? And maybe even an open water tank in the roof space? Chimney flue blocked up during the recent works? :RpS_thumbup:

Yeah go on then. I'd suggest insulation and ventilation. It's got to be dead air in them corners in what must be a pretty cold room.

Wait. Is there a bathroom or shower room close by as well? And maybe even an open water tank in the roof space? Chimney flue blocked up during the recent works? :RpS_thumbup:
Or a body in the attic, rotten ing and melting through the ceiling

:RpS_laugh:...............i was taken the p1ss out of flynny with the airbrick comment cos thats his answer to every damp problem...........................or maybe im right....................:RpS_unsure:.

have you checked what the humidity readings are flynny?. you get get little cheap meters for a fiver. up to 55-60% is about the limit the room should be at then above that its condensationtatsic
Sometimes it can be just that simply :RpS_thumbup:

I don't believe anything on this Forum anymore. I bet Frontman is not coloured, either ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.