My trowel isn't what it used to be - sand, bin or what?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksjs

So, I have a 14"... Marshalltown but of late I'm not happy with it; it feels like it drags a bit when polishing and though I've sanded it and used steel wool it just doesn't feel right. I don't really want to shell out for another when the thing isn't broke but I can't go on like this!

I also have an 11" Ragni which feels smoother and less work than the Marshalltown and that's nothing to do with the smaller size.

Am I imagining things? Is there anything I can do to help 'fix' the trowel?

Cheers.

sometimes with a trowel , more so with stainless they go really thin and brittle and this is the time for a new trowel. Carbon are far better and last many years of good service to you.

if its bent the wrong way, get yourself 2 bits of lath and a hammer, put one bit of lath on the floor and rest the toe of the trowel on that, get the other piece of lath and place it on the shank directly infront of the handle, give it a tap with the hammer and it should sort it. if not give it another tap. be careful not to do it too many times as it can loosen the rivets.

if its not as sharp as it once was, get yourself a diamond wet stone and some wet and dry, wet the stone and go cross it with your trowel, not along it. IMO it gets it alot sharper, quicker, then once youve got the sharpness back use some wet and dry along the edge to get rid of and scratches

yeah you cant beat your favourite trowel though mate. id rather spend an hour fixing my trowel than go n buy brand new spanker

i dropped mine off a balcony at islinton church a few years ago everything went into slow motion for me haha, it landed toe corner down on a pile of plasterboard and bounced out into the road........... ive never ran down scaffold so quick (with tears in my eyes haha) took me bloody aaaages to wear the bend out of it but i managed it and i got anouther trowel worn in whilst my babey was being fixed

ive got 3 im using/wearing at the minute. marshall permashape to put on with, thats my back up lol, main MT SS 4 3/4" for trowelling and ive just bought a carbon MT 4" as i prefer thinner blades and i think carbon gives a better finish

Stainless does defo seem to drag a little in my opinion like i said before but there easy to use and last forever.Carbon does give a better finish mate.
I use both but cus im not plastering every day .day in day out cus i do other trades also the carbon seems to rust and need work on the blade if not used for a week or so.
That why i now use stainless

ill have to give those carbon blades a try ive got 5 in my bag that i take everywhere with me i mainly use one to put on with (the one i wore in when mine was f**k*d) and then the one i dropped now its back to shape and back in action but that only sees the walls/ceilins a few times a day

i like my plastic trowel but as ive said before if i haddnt hurt my elbow i proberly wouldnt have started useing it, i find it does speed up the troweling process though

Yes mate it does. I have nothing against them and use them also.Just to flatten i polish with steel trowel cus they can leave very faint scratches.

yeah i found out bout the scratches wen i first got it but i made a sleeve for it and got some wet and dry tucked into it then wen i use it i keep a bit in my pocket and just rub it down everytime before i use it. havent had the problems anymore, and its let my elbow rest up a bit havent had problems for a while.
famous last words i bet :RpS_crying:

Cheers all for replies, maybe its 'trowelitis' more than anything as suggested above. It definitely does drag/mark ever so slightly but I still like using it. Maybe worth getting a wet stone to see if this helps and another trowel to start wearing that in.

I assume when people say "bend the wrong way" they mean long edges bending downwards if you're looking at the blade in 'end-on profile'? If yes, mine bends the right way (oo-er!) i.e. upwards.

£40 Marshalltown permashape, pre worn. Job done. Out with the old, in with the new. I have 2 brand new ones in the van......Like Loreal.....Because i'm worth it!! :RpS_wub:

John I'm affraid you're wrong. Permashape are far too wide. And carbons better. Always used them but just bought myself an MT 14x 4 carbon. Used it 5/6 times now and its worn in beautifully

John I'm affraid you're wrong. Permashape are far too wide. And carbons better. Always used them but just bought myself an MT 14x 4 carbon. Used it 5/6 times now and its worn in beautifully

Must admit steve, haven't seen a carbon yet.

Carbon is just normal steel that rusts, they get a lot sharper than stainless, a lot quicker. I've chiselled the handle down so its really thin, much more comfortable than those stupid dildo sized handles. Oh and yeah I let spunky get away with it as he sucks my cock

shut up steve, what would u no ur s**t

and i thought ud get on well with the dildo handles u bender

but yeah steel all the way. 14 by 3 3/4 or something aint it.

i know its each to there own here but i cant do with out my MT carbon 20" er ....big boys need big toys haha its the only trowel i use on a daily basis unless space restricted, i actualy think it was a cement trowel it took some major breaking in as i dont like the permashape trowels, i find they bannana too much for me, used to use a gold stainless MT 20" but dropped it on a wire it was my pride and joy!!

cant beat a good worn in carbon. pull you out of the s**t on those hot days. id rather someone nicked the drill than one of those babies. still have the one i first started with now that is sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.