my rant of the week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeves1985

Don't you just love it when you go to price a job, agree the price write it down what's to be done all in front of the customer , get nearly to the end of the job and the walk in saying you haven't done what your supposed to have done!!!

Went to look at a job for a friend of a friend who's bought a buy to let. Had the place rewired and ripped the kitchen out so wanted a full 3 bed house patching 4 sockets and a light switch in each room a dado removed from living room, with 2 wall lights.
make good and skim 4 walls in kitchen (2 walls just below base units) one wall blocked a doorway made a right mess left frame in wall all over place. Room was spprox 3.5m x 3m
ceiling had holes in it but was told to leave that as he'd sort it .
skim one chimney Breast which was full On artex in dining room. Living room was the same but told to leave it as it was covered with ply
4 doubles and light in eaeach of the 3 bedrooms
2 doubles and a switch in hall same on landing.

Anyway customer asked for patching and the skimming of the breast and make good and skim kitchen .

Figured it would take around 3 days maybea tad over depending on the kitchen which was a bitch. Quoted £500 with msterials. Everybodies happy

WRONG
He walks in at dinner time saying
oh this is no good you haven't touched the kitchen ceiling it's got holes in it and you've left the chimney breast in the living room
and look at this it would be easier to do the whole walls where the chases were. It's all going to need skimming. I was robbing him blind and should have a mask on.

To which I replied i told you that skimming the lot was the best approach and I was told by you to leave the kitchen ceiling As you were going to do it yourself.

I said so basically for £500 including the materials you wanted nearly 3 quaters of the house skimming and the kitchen ceiling boarding. Who you kidding

Well I could have got someone in for £70 a day to do it all.
So he's buying the materials out of that paying his tax and ni and going to complete it in how many days?
Oh he never said how many days

Anyways I bobbed off to the van brought my little black book out and said do you remember I wrote everything down about what was to be done "yes" he says
well here you go then I have done everything in that book to the letter

I never said this that's wrong your seriously going to charge me that for it all but you knocked off at 3 Tuesday
4 on Wednesday etc
I said well I'm sorry buddy but I work for myself I have given you a job price not day rate so I will start and finish as I see fit

Well the "debate" carried On for another half hour

Some ppl do my f##king head in!!!

Skimming nearly a full 3 bed house for 500.sheets
it would have been a lot more me old mate

Best of all my original advice was revised the kitchen ceiling and skim the whole house which seams to be what he was expecting

Anyway I left it on the note of when you ask a plasterer for a patch you get a patch
I'll call back later with the key and collect the money

That feels better

Top rant chris....get it off yer chest... have a beer..its nearly friday.:RpS_thumbup:

its a hard life eh?:rolleyes)

Oops it is friday:RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Been there bud and sure it will happen again and again they've no idea how tough this job is at times feel ya pain bud! Nice rant :RpS_thumbup:

Top rant pal,they nearly always leave it till youve packed your kit up and your ready to leave,they dont realise that even a small patch inc prep is going to take a minimum of an hour and half let alone a ceiling full of holes a chimney breast and some walls, could be a days work dependent on prep!feel for ya mate.

All quotes in writing, no exceptions. That way there's no arguing about what's getting done or how much it'll cost.

Fortunately not the Asian persuasion

Some people just take the piss.

What a hell of a week sometimes it's like banging your head against a brick wall

There seems to be more and more people trying it on, on top of being undercut by jokers who don't know what they are doing.

What got me is he had the cheek to say oh the kitchen alright apart from you haven't done the ceiling

Absolute tool

Top rant pal,they nearly always leave it till youve packed your kit up and your ready to leave,they dont realise that even a small patch inc prep is going to take a minimum of an hour and half let alone a ceiling full of holes a chimney breast and some walls, could be a days work dependent on prep!feel for ya mate.

That's it they don't realise that it's the prep that takes the time and its the time taken to do the prep that makes the job a good one
which in turn is time and money

There's nothing worse than turning up to a job someone else has done and there's gear all over the Windows, doors, skirtings and trim

Think I must be one of the only few around here that tapes off all Windows and trim so not to get anything on it .

I suppose I'll have to keep a mask in the van

That's it they don't realise that it's the prep that takes the time and its the time taken to do the prep that makes the job a good one
which in turn is time and money

There's nothing worse than turning up to a job someone else has done and there's gear all over the Windows, doors, skirtings and trim

Think I must be one of the only few around here that tapes off all Windows and trim so not to get anything on it .

I suppose I'll have to keep a mask in the van

Good rant mate, cant do wth people like that, especially when its been explained the best way to do it + they go for the cheaper option! Like style in the windows, doors etc, one thing i hate is seeing plaster all over doors + windows, takes two seconds tape it or hav a 1" brush + bucket of clean water keep on top of it!

Good rant mate, cant do wth people like that, especially when its been explained the best way to do it + they go for the cheaper option! Like style in the windows, doors etc, one thing i hate is seeing plaster all over doors + windows, takes two seconds tape it or hav a 1" brush + bucket of clean water keep on top of it!

Too true
Always have a roll of duct tape and masking tape handy
duct tape round pve trim low tac masking on wood trim and soft cloth.

It's amazing how many people actually comment after how neat the trim is

im just pleased to see the chancers day rate has went up to £70..............i'll tell the kids its gonna be a bumper xmas this year....................:RpS_thumbup:

im just pleased to see the chancers day rate has went up to £70..............i'll tell the kids its gonna be a bumper xmas this year....................:RpS_thumbup:

Christmas is coming yee haa

Oh and just to add to the story I've since had an apology and paid in full

£500 and materials for 3 days,good god.

i get 650 for a hall stairs and landing and done in 1 day,hsl are the best earners though.

£500 and materials for 3 days,good god.

i get 650 for a hall stairs and landing and done in 1 day,hsl are the best earners though.

There the best earners for a reason
they can be a bitch

I'll have to come work with you up here in Yorkshire prices are on their arse

Status
Not open for further replies.