multi peeling off ?!

DanUnder

My Spread called me yesterday all stressed as he had 3 ceilings on,second coated and had started trowelling in. He said that it was all 'peeling off on me'. This is all onto fresh plasterboard and using new multi (all delivered from Encon on Monday). He described it as like putting bonding onto boards and open texturing and also it was staying unusually wet.
This is a guy I use all the time who is 1st class at his job and I trust him completely.
Anyone any experience of this ? This is his first day in a big 3 bed house and I have a pallet of multi sat waiting to be used on various jobs and I'm not sure I can use it.

Thanks

Had it twice a couple of weeks ago mate.

Its like the water comes to the top of the plaster and it tears if you flatten I too quick

Multi has been really shite last few month (north west uk anyway) but a good few of the lads on here been having similar trouble all over the uk !? Ive been using board finish last couple of month which has been better but not by much. Its a shame MP finish slumps if applied too thick (over 3mm) or id just use that as great gear to chuck on just long gauges but you can put loads on. Encon stock it too mate get it swapped if its on new board work (y) your shite multi for MP finish i mean

Its the breeze getting to it its nowt to do with a bad batch of multi had it happen a few times
I assumed thespread is a good one according to his post? Thats only why im not going down the draught road as id like to think he wouldnt be so f**k**g stupid??

I assumed thespread is a good one according to his post? Thats only why im not going down the draught road as id like to think he wouldnt be so f**k**g stupid??
Lol ye know wat ur saying mayb he's not as gud as he thinks..its simply a breeze getting to the skim with warm air circulating there's a clue in it only happens in the summer..nowt to do with the multi

Why blame unifinish it would stick better
Unifinish always gets the blame
Sod the lot of ya, lol

Was working in an extention and the builder hadn't put in the window panes and it was heartache the flow of air circulating had made the skim peel. Has happened in a couple of hot conservatories as well. Although usually happens on the last trowel if I can remember right. Plenty of water and a calm head is key.

Was working in an extention and the builder hadn't put in the window panes and it was heartache the flow of air circulating had made the skim peel. Has happened in a couple of hot conservatories as well. Although usually happens on the last trowel if I can remember right. Plenty of water and a calm head is key.
Yep the very last trowel just got to go with it with plenty of water and fat trowel in its 1 of them things that's out of control really sometimes..s**t hot spread shud of known this I reckon

I thought he was saying the skim was peeling off the plasterboard. Lol f**k me am a stupid c**t. Might go drinking as am not getting up tomorrow.

I've done me shoulder again racing and ive been off a week already. Driving me bonkers sitting around the house

Am going to try put the airless plaster on with a external paint roller tomorrow this will get me out of minding the kids lol. What do you call a roller for external

Thanks for the input lads. The Unifinish theory sounds most likely to me. I've been in this game 20 years plus and this guy is the best I've come across ( I never said he was 's**t hot') so it's nothing basic like letting a breeze through or getting on it too soon. I'll be on Encons case in the morning for a new batch and hope for the best. Thanks again- learn something new everyday.

Too much unifinish in them bags. BG are still sussing out how much they can get away with putting in other bags.
I must admit I used a bag of skim on a ceiling the other day and it seemed a bit sticky or "gloopy" when I was laying on. It crossed my mind if it had been contaminated or not?

Seriously is this made up..20 years and is going back to encon cuz thinks unifinish is to blame in a bag of multi.

How many bags did he use on the ceilings then?
Have you got any pictures of the multifinish falling off the fresh plasterboard?

Not being funny just don't get how people think.

Seriously is this made up..20 years and is going back to encon cuz thinks unifinish is to blame in a bag of multi.

How many bags did he use on the ceilings then?
Have you got any pictures of the multifinish falling off the fresh plasterboard?

Not being funny just don't get how people think.
There sounds like a problem with the finish coz the guy is experienced, it doesn't really matter how many bags if it's peeling. We like pics :)

There sounds like a problem with the finish coz the guy is experienced, it doesn't really matter how many bags if it's peeling. We like pics :)
Said he put 3 ceilings ,yes lets see the pictures if he back there tomorrow post them up.
All this unifinish mixed in theory is not correct imo.
Unifinish is made to order same as magnetic.
Even if it was mixed into multi someone explain why they think it would fall off a pkasterboard ?

Said he put 3 ceilings ,yes lets see the pictures if he back there tomorrow post them up.
Even if it was mixed into multi someone explain why they think it would fall off a pkasterboard ?
3 ceilings is one gauge and pictures won't really show much a skimmed wall never does. Why is it not correct? I wouldn't say it was made to order like magnetic because it's only targeted at plasterers/DIY rather than the public. If it was mixed into multie it could very easily fail. Mixing plasters has a chemical reaction this is why I said mixing extra time in your first coat and not your second will have a reaction. This is why a proper apprenticeship is important because you learn about chemical reactions. Most of us are aware if we add cement to gypsum it will flash set and also if you ever used a spot board, we was always taught don't mix the fresh gear with the other gear coz that will speed up the setting. Over mixing will speed it up the same as making it wetter because you messing with the chemical process. So mixing the two together could cause a problem because of many reasons.

Flynnyman I was trying to be ok but you obviously want to try turn this into something else..
Glad you did your apprenticeship and (the most of us did too).

Best of luck

Flynnyman I was trying to be ok but you obviously want to try turn this into something else..
Glad you did your apprenticeship and (the most of us did too).

Best of luck
Hmmmmm wait a second I only said what others have said, don't go all defensive, why am I turning it into something else and what is it am turning it into? Grow up, your the first to jump to the defence of uni but you just say stuff you never back it up with facts, I've mentioned why mixing plasters together can cause a reaction and you have spat your dummy out with your usual exit strategy.

Can you remember unifinish 1
that was recalled thousands & thousands of pallets sent back to BG.
Wonder what happened to all that? :rolleyes:

As 95% of a bag of finish plaster is just pure ground down gypsum Rock & the other 5% is additives I can't see them throwing all that gypsum away can you? :coffe:

Plus I'll say it again even though the FBI will take me out for saying it & I'm prepared to sacrifice my life for telling the truth about BG but when I was there one of them said to me after I asked him, they do add out of date stock into the new stock in tiny amounts, I know what I heard & there was others standing there off here aswell. :sisi:

Not saying that this is what caused the problems posted above, that's down to user error :coffe: