Multi on sand cement??

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinhead666

Can you get a good finish on sc with multi does it go off like a rocket!!??been plastering for years now and prefer hard wall or browning but customer is insisting on sc backing he has all the materials for the job too have done lots of damp work metre high stuff in the past but never happy with the finish this bloke wants me to render floor to ceiling in sc not looking forward to it! Although I can't wait to get paid:RpS_biggrin: Oh yeah I'm skinhead by the way an if I can advise back in any way I will cheers

hi mate,, you can get a good finish with multi on sand & cement,, when we used to float houses with s&c we used to float the whole house then turn round and unibond the s&c before setting,, if you set to soon its more likely to crack,, i used to love floating with s&c

you could also use a good water proofer in the sand and cement as this will also help with the suction

Thanks lads ! Would you skim same day or next for best suction after the pva? Haha sound like novice but bin doin what I want for so long don't really do s/c unless it's exterior render !!

Next day if not 2. Never the same day it's too green. Put some water proofer in and you'll never want to use hardwall ever again. :)

Thanks lads ! Would you skim same day or next for best suction after the pva? Haha sound like novice but bin doin what I want for so long don't really do s/c unless it's exterior render !!
@Skinhead666
Never ever skim S&C the next day as already said leave it for a minimum of five days in the summer and seven in the winter.
I've never ever needed to PVA before skimming, a brush of water where there's a lintel yes but never PVA.
Choose your sand carefully, it needs to have a low loam/silt content, and that means if he's already got the gear and it's crap tell him it needs changing.
If you're working on blocks with a decent (plenty of) suction then you won't need any waterproofer, although I put just one capful to a full bag (cement) mix as it's a good plasticiser. If you're working on low suction blocks then a half or quarter of the recommended dose of waterproofer may be needed/help.
I use the Febmix DH sachets as my plasticiser but ignore the recommended dose or you'll think the sachet was empty.
Now this is important!!! Don't try to mix the S&C so it comes up with a texture similar to Hardwall or it's fecked. It should have a smooth free flowing texture, most people are surprised how wet the mix will look when perfect.
And lastly most lads reckon Easifill is decent gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Skinhead666
Never ever skim S&C the next day as already said leave it for a minimum of five days in the summer and seven in the winter.
I've never ever needed to PVA before skimming, a brush of water where there's a lintel yes but never PVA.
Choose your sand carefully, it needs to have a low loam/silt content, and that means if he's already got the gear and it's crap tell him it needs changing.
If you're working on blocks with a decent (plenty of) suction then you won't need any waterproofer, although I put just one capful to a full bag (cement) mix as it's a good plasticiser. If you're working on low suction blocks then a half or quarter of the recommended dose of waterproofer may be needed/help.
I use the Febmix DH sachets as my plasticiser but ignore the recommended dose or you'll think the sachet was empty.
Now this is important!!! Don't try to mix the S&C so it comes up with a texture similar to Hardwall or it's fecked. It should have a smooth free flowing texture, most people are surprised how wet the mix will look when perfect.

Reply of the month :thumbup::thumbup:

@Skinhead666

Gypsum say leave it for 5 to 6 weeks be4 u use multi on s/c or they won't stand by it.

Gypsum say leave it for 5 to 6 weeks be4 u use multi on s/c or they won't stand by it.

Yeah but that's because

A: They are so thick they can't even make a decent paper bag
B: They want you to use their backing coats not the much cheaper and nicer to use S&C.

Yeah but that's because

A: They are so thick they can't even make a decent paper bag
B: They want you to use their backing coats not the much cheaper and nicer to use S&C.

Thats what I said to them mate. If you where to do what they want u to do u would never get a house to plaster.

have any of you skimmed s/c next day and it failed?
i did 4-5 years of skimming s/c next day on site and iv never ever ever had it fail :RpS_confused:

i still when i get the chance do the same on extensions with no probs

I always remember we topcoated a wall and tyroleaned it the next day. Few weeks later the tyro shelled off. I personally think the tyro stopped the render from drying out and it was still curing (shrinking) causing it to delaminate. I always think of that when using sc. Let it cure.

Well before we used hardwall it was all S&C float one day then skim next day, same as Jessop never had any fail and our firm did thousands of houses that never failed

@Skinhead666

M8 why leave it so long before finishing av always used board finish wa sc but av only ever heard of leaving it that long is when theres a damp problem if ya dont mind me asking

hi mate,, you can get a good finish with multi on sand & cement,, when we used to float houses with s&c we used to float the whole house then turn round and unibond the s&c before setting,, if you set to soon its more likely to crack,, i used to love floating with s&c
Those were the days :RpS_thumbup:

Well before we used hardwall it was all S&C float one day then skim next day, same as Jessop never had any fail and our firm did thousands of houses that never failed

Don't you believe it. Loads of work done this way has shelled but just stands there looking fine until some poor unfortunate soul tries stripping wallpaper only to have the skim come off.

have any of you skimmed s/c next day and it failed?
i did 4-5 years of skimming s/c next day on site and iv never ever ever had it fail :RpS_confused:

i still when i get the chance do the same on extensions with no probs

Ditto , never had a problem in 30 years. Grew up using sand / cement and I've never seen a sand cement skim job fail up north but seen plenty off browning / bonding and skim fail . But every one to their own

Don't you believe it. Loads of work done this way has shelled but just stands there looking fine until some poor unfortunate soul tries stripping wallpaper only to have the skim come off.

I just re skimmed a bungalow where exactly that happened.

M8 why leave it so long before finishing av always used board finish wa sc but av only ever heard of leaving it that long is when theres a damp problem if ya dont mind me asking
@JamieMac S&C carries on shrinking for days after application, the loamier the sand and lower the suction from the substrate the longer it carries on shrinking for. Once finish plaster has set it doesn't shrink anymore so if put onto S&C that's still shrinking the two will separate.
I've seen it many times and it nearly always comes to light years after the work has been completed, although one site in Essex many years ago ended up being entirely reskimmed shortly after completion, it bankrupt the plastering contractor.

Never ever had s&c fail skimming the next day and I've done thousands of metres. My old gaffer and his dad before him have done it for 40 years that way.

I am the same I skim s+c next day all the time, even the odd metre the same day. I get the odd one blow the skim maybe 1-2 in the last 5 years.

Bloody hell thanks lads thinking back tho I used to skim next day and that's what's going to happen now too,rendered today skim tomorrow paid Friday haha all going well!, cheers but some of you do go on a bit haha only jokin ladies

this place is great...lol lots of different ideas and suggestions...

I only realised at the weekend that Hardwall is now pink... wtf?? shows how long ago it was when I last used it.....

you could also use a good water proofer in the sand and cement as this will also help with the suction

sounds a bit dodgy that, fall off the wall in a couple of months if there's no suction on the wall.

just set it the day after when its gone off and still green, don't make it too strong qwith cement and it wont crack. 6-1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.