Multi on gone off hardwall.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairybear

Guys,

called to to a job today where someone has floated up a room (badly) with hardwall and abandoned the job. Customer wants me to put right!

Again, showing my relative inexperience here, so I've never had to skim over dried out hardwall, I usually skim it the same day if I'm floating with hardwall whilst still some moisture present, good suction etc.

Customer says it's been on the walls for 3 weeks and it's clear whoever applied it has gone over the high spots with a plane or edge as, in places it's as smooth as a babies backside.

So, any advice on skimming dry hardwall, some areas very smooth with zero key?

My plan is to get the devil float on it, seal it with pva or bond it...... But I'd appreciate any tips advice to the contrary?

That's an interesting point however, due to the stupidly high suction of existing hardwall, I think I'd still need to glue the existing with pva/bond it in any case, and the existing is right up on the bead stops anyway.....whoever did it didn't leave any room for the multi.

I've got the guy to glue the walls before I arrive, twice. So I'll hit it with a coat of unibond on the day and get on it with the multi........

If it turns to dust.....I'll let you know..... :RpS_wink:

just bead it again surley i do anyway i think skim beads leave a sharper edge, unless i have to or get told to skim into the float beads

I did suggest that to the guy but he prefers the radius of the render bead......otherwise I'd defo be tacking thin coat beads on rather than scraping hardwall away.....

all good advice tho fella's, appreciated.

i would be inclined to use thistle universal, you could use it to float out the walls correctly then trowel up with out the fear of the walls fire cracking.

Not had much experience with one coat, did a chimney breast once when I was working with a guy as the customer decided to rip the render off the wall, without telling us and we had a few bags of universal in the van. Thistle wouldn't sell it if it didn't have its uses but I seem to get by with mf, hardwall and bonding......next time I get the opportunity I'm gonna give it ago, good enough for das Germans, must be a decent finish and efficient!

Cementone or plas prime. Green gritty stuff. Will kill your suction problem in one hit. Brush it straight on. Yo can get it from b n q for about 25 quid for a small tub. I cant remember what the coverage is without looking on the tub but should be more than enough for what you need. It does need 24 hours before you can plaster onto it though

I don't think a normal bonding agent would kill the suction though. Couple of weak coats of pva would do it. Cheapest option too

Last edited:
If you've got it to hand you won't beat Gyprime for this, if not then very dilute PVA. You want it to soak into the surface and then seal rather than forming a skin on top of the Hardwall.

As said, GypPrime is the way here. First coat up to 5:1 water:GypPrime, then a neat coat and away you go :RpS_thumbup:

Well said carlos , then he can work onto his own work , if the hardwall is that wonky etc it would be worth it , amount of time you will spend ******* on or float again on top which is abit of a shitty job , expensive mistake taking people of to do work who **** up ..... Which they have obviously got to lay for by hacking off and redoing properly .......

PVA it then give it a tight coat of finish brush it then give it another coat of finish, by the way what a knob he likes the radius of the float beads , tell him you need to bead it again you're the one who knows what he's doing

Guys,

Some feedback.

In in an ideal world, I'd have liked to have ripped it off the wall and started again but, one thing I learnt a long time ago is that the customer is always right...... He had no budget to re-float it, I did ask the question. Anyway, the guy put two coats of pva on, I put another on when I got there.
So, I gave it a tight coat of multi to level it out, then a normal two coat finish on top. It sucked the first coat in more than average but then the next two coats were fine. All in, worked out a bloody good job.

Customer is is well aware this was at risk as it wasn't what I'd recommend, but at the end of the day, to some people price is king.....even in their own homes!

So, customer happy as pig in **** and I got another job doing his bathroom ceiling next week. If I was to do it again, I'd put a couple of weak coats of pva on, allow to dry then apply a bondit type agent...... I was chasing the pva all day!!

Let's hope it doesn't crack too much!!!!!

thanks again for all advice, bloody damn decent if you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.