Multi finish time between coats

Members online

drying time between coats ????

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

platinum

question 1 i know theres various factors that alter this curing time including surface, ventilation, room temp etc.... but roughly is it about 30 mins after mix to get your first coat on before starting back at same place for second coat???? and again you got about another 30 mins to get this on?????? i know your ment to finger test it but just wanted a rough time scale????????? thanks pro's

question 2 also incase you hadnt guessed that i'm new to this..... ive been told you can buy stop bead to separate big area's..... where from???? looked everywhere i can only see angle bead......

and finally 3rd and final question can you use plasterboard beading on normal walls or should you only use mini mesh beads??

Thanks pro's

you can get stop beads fro most if not all places b&q wickes and certainly all merchants, the finger test is really the only way to judge when to put second coat on as its not only the background but weather conditions aswell.

By the way what is the poll, what are you asking doesnt make any sense

This is one of those questions you can't answer accurately, You can usually anticipate the time taken for first coat to hazel off when you first roll on the PVA.

Short answer is between 30-60 mins

Another problem with reskimming is different surfaces on the same set, specially if its had new windows in the last 10 years, you might find some dodgy skimming round the window, most of the rest is 50 years old with the bottom half painted in silk and the top painted in matt...
timing isnt done with numbers its done with the eyes, the fingers and experience..
if its causing problems you could always go mad with the pva and use board finish...
end of the day, if your putting on a reasonable set it wont be far off ready time youve washed your tools and drunk your tea (prolly cold by now)..
just wondering on the 'stop bead' reasoning..
i only use stop bead for 135 externals..
ive never broke up a big area with a bead.. who wants to see a bloody great line down the middle of a surface?
render, yes, cos of expansion, but skimming... noooooo.... get someone to help...

Hi ive just started out and usually pva 4/1,lay out the room in prep ,then mix a full bag for first coat slap that on,clean my float and hawk and wash bucket out then mix half a bag for second coat lay that on flat as poss think its taking me about 30/45 mins to lay on first coat so i start on the second straight away then start to chill brushing in corners and flatting off.

iv brokn lines in skim b4 with scrim tape..the old roll a line of scrim skim 2 coats and put it off after 2nd flat trowl..works well

Oasis I might just be being stupid but can you elaborate on what you are on about with the scrim tape method as I dont get it, is it to plaster a large area and to split it up?

using the scrim to split an area is just to leave a clean line to feather into whean u hav an area that is to big to hit in one go

you should wait at least 45 mins between first and second coating otherwise youll get the dreaded tiger stripes ....then take the various factors i.e wind temp etc into factor then devide by pie and multiply by three pints of blackthorn and a bag of pork scratchings ;)

i used the skrim tape method that oasis is talkin about , it may of been him who sugested it a while ago n here, works great as you peel it away leavs a sexy straight line ready for your next showdown

if you do it sssss stagger it or youre ssssss straight line will show up like a ssss sore thumb if i could just stop sssssss stuttering

lads,just bought a wisk from wickies the big plasterer mixer not a drill attachment,plroblem,its seems to be setting my mix off a little quicker,any comments,thanks

not seen the machine but ill bet the paddles too small and the speed too high thereby youre overmixing it..
that said, every set i put on last week seemed to go real quick compared to the week before..i get my multi from wickes.. i was getting good thick 2 coat sets showing dark before 2 hours.. background compensated for too..
while back someone mentioned that thistle / british gypsum compensate for weather by altering the amount of retarder in the mix? i.e. summer / winter...
or maybe i was just that b'lloxed from the week before that time seemed to speed up?
maybe the bags froze in the warehouse??
overmixing will set it off sharpish though...

bigsegs said:
not seen the machine but ill bet the paddles too small and the speed too high thereby youre overmixing it..
that said, every set i put on last week seemed to go real quick compared to the week before..i get my multi from wickes.. i was getting good thick 2 coat sets showing dark before 2 hours.. background compensated for too..
while back someone mentioned that thistle / british gypsum compensate for weather by altering the amount of retarder in the mix? i.e. summer / winter...
or maybe i was just that b'lloxed from the week before that time seemed to speed up?
maybe the bags froze in the warehouse??
overmixing will set it off sharpish though...
thanks very much ill try that

hi,thanks for that,great,whats cream of tartar thou,never heard of that,sounds like somick from morrisons,tescos,sainsburys

you couls ask the customer to turn the heating down too ........its freezing on site at the mo me and another lad with lab got 140m on today in a set ...........brrrrrrrrr

i think its great when its like that, only one load to lay on, one load to top it (1 coat boardy in this weather), and spend the rest of the day just wavin your trowel at it, maybe have an ice cold beer... just one nice easy set all day...
unless its occupied...
in which case the customers got the heating up full whack, and it dont even matter if the rads off it goes off like bonding on durox..
the outside taps f'ckin froze up, yer feet are froze cos of sloppin through the snow to the van, and you havent even got time to drink a cup of tea...

Status
Not open for further replies.