Multi finish problems.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never measured out in litres in my life...one full black bucket of water was enough to do one bag of finish.... I like my mix quite wet :)

Danny

PS let the ripping begin....
You must be doing alright by now danny, cant you employ a butler to gauge up for you,

I didn't have this many problems when I first started at college, back then I had never even picked up a trowel before.
marshall college is different from on site try mixing up less material trowell it on get it under control.then mix more.clean out youre buckets ready 4 the next mix.clean water ect.are you working off a board and stance.

Bloody nora I'll sort this mess of a thread out!!

First, always, and I mean ALWAYS, measure out your water exactly using an egg cup to garantee no excess.

Three egg cups FULL should mix a bag and half a handful perfectly to obtain a creamy mix.

And you don't want to use board or multi. Use baking soda with a banana mashed in

First, always, and I mean ALWAYS, measure out your water exactly using an egg cup to garantee no excess.

Three egg cups FULL should mix a bag and half a handful perfectly to obtain a creamy mix.

And you don't want to use board or multi. Use baking soda with a banana mashed in

you cudny sort out youre hole in a brothel m8 who the fuuck is nora.is that yur boy freind.

Trust a female to suggest something used for baking

marshall college is different from on site try mixing up less material trowell it on get it under control.then mix more.clean out youre buckets ready 4 the next mix.clean water ect.are you working off a board and stance.

I understand that mate, but the first two bags of multi I used recently have set quicker than anything else I have ever used before.
if I only need one bag then I will work straight out of my mixing bucket, if I need more than one bag then I use a mortar board and stand.

I understand that mate, but the first two bags of multi I used recently have set quicker than anything else I have ever used before.
if I only need one bag then I will work straight out of my mixing bucket, if I need more than one bag then I use a mortar board and stand.
stuff setting in the bucket prob out of date multi m8 or been realy unlucky and got 2 bad bags.

BG multi has been all over the place for me recently, havnt had a decent gauge for about 2 years, pretty much since they started lining the bags with plastic. It'll either be pulling in too quick, staying wet then setting really quick and peeling on last trowel or polish trowel, or just feel really sticky and hard to use. Started using plazzy for last trowel recently which has maybe helped a bit (no more peeling etc) but dont trust it as much as steel to fill out hollows or blemishes.

catch 22 though as i dont want to risk using another plaster on my work as i have no experience in anything but BG (for finish anyway).

but @marshall to be fair, you probably have rally bad body odour which is making the room fill with your smell and having a chemical reaction with the plaster? I once worked with a bloke who smelt so bad, his plaster would set while mixing it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started using plazzy for last trowel recently which has maybe helped a bit (no more peeling etc) but dont trust it as much as steel to fill out hollows or blemishes.

There should be no blemishes or hollows to fill by that point, maybe a couple of water marks. The plazzi just shines and gives an even look to the finish.

Less than 5 minutes give or take.

"Less than 5 minutes give or take", it shouldn't take anything like to mix a bag. It also shouldn't have taken more than a couple of minutes to mix a bag with a stick and cog.
You also need to get it into you're head that you should be using two separate mixes for first and second coats. If they didn't teach you this at college then either they failed miserably to teach you properly or you just weren't listening (more likely).

"Less than 5 minutes give or take", it shouldn't take anything like to mix a bag. It also shouldn't have taken more than a couple of minutes to mix a bag with a stick and cog.
You also need to get it into you're head that you should be using two separate mixes for first and second coats. If they didn't teach you this at college then either they failed miserably to teach you properly or you just weren't listening (more likely).

Look Andy he's being doing it 3 years so he's a plaster master

75lt bucket, clean water up to dirty tide mark 3 bags of multi in, 1800w mega mixer whisk till mixed, ladle out with mac scoop, smash on, once buckets empty knock another couple of bags up lay in, cupboards or reveals with anything left in bucket, trowel flat, then do it again happy days, lets stop over complicating it.

had a small bay window head to plaster after a leak had been repaired so I grabbed half a bag of multi which I had in the shed thinking this will go off nice and quick for a quick job:RpS_cool:. Anyway got myself all set up and mixed up about a 1/4 bag. Bloody thing set in the bucket before I got to the window! Must have been a really bad batch in 2009 as that was the date on the bag!

Had to go to the yard and get a new bag of multi in the end but a couple of handfulls of the old stuff helped a bit:RpS_biggrin:

After wading through this shite I can confirm I will be gauging 6 pints of water and adding hops, barley & yeast! :RpS_thumbsup:

To save money on materials, we were only plastering small areas at college, walls and ceilings that were small enough that you could easily get both coats out of a one bag mix. the job I was doing that caused me so many problems with multi was the same sort of thing. an area small enough that you could get both coats out of a single bag mix.
but the question is, if you have 20 minutes to get the first coat on and then start the second coat, how do you find time (on your own) to mix up another bag before the first coat starts going off?
I am fast enough to get one coat on in 20 minutes or less, but mixing up a second mix in that time is a little bit tricky.
maybe I'm just not used to working on my own, I've always had someone else mixing for me since I left college so I could just concentrate on getting the plaster on, the next mix would be prepared while I was still working with the first mix.

But if you only need one bag, and you have enough time to get both coats out of one bag, what is the point of mixing twice?
surely that just wastes time doesn't it?

To save money on materials, we were only plastering small areas at college, walls and ceilings that were small enough that you could easily get both coats out of a one bag mix. the job I was doing that caused me so many problems with multi was the same sort of thing. an area small enough that you could get both coats out of a single bag mix.
but the question is, if you have 20 minutes to get the first coat on and then start the second coat, how do you find time (on your own) to mix up another bag before the first coat starts going off?
I am fast enough to get one coat on in 20 minutes or less, but mixing up a second mix in that time is a little bit tricky.
maybe I'm just not used to working on my own, I've always had someone else mixing for me since I left college so I could just concentrate on getting the plaster on, the next mix would be prepared while I was still working with the first mix.

But if you only need one bag, and you have enough time to get both coats out of one bag, what is the point of mixing twice?

Its easy bud. Small ceiling.......1.Knock up enough plaster for first coat. 2.Apply first coat approx 5 - 10 minutes. 3. Clean out bucket while first coat picks up. 4. Flatten first coat. 5. Knock up second coat (slightly wetter if preferred). 6. Apply second coat approx 5 mins. 7. Clean out buckets. 8. Flatten second coat and begin finishing process!!!!

@marshall what I find strange is that a college teaches you like that. Every spread will have used the same mix for both coats at times but it's not good to get into the habit of doing it as a matter of course.
I've done much of my work over the years labouring on myself and to be honest no one really needs a labourer for normal skimming work.
I'll happily mix up a bucket (10ltr water) put it on, then mix a second put that on and then mix a third to lay in with. I don't bother washing the bucket out between each mix and have never found it a problem. All the proper spreads on here will be able to do the same without it being a struggle so use that as a guide as to whether you're up to speed or not.
If you're struggling to get it on and laid in with the same mix then as Mike has just said use two separate mixes, easy.
Also remember that the plaster picks up quicker if working out of a bucket than it does when using a spot board.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I didn't have the window open again cockend.
I only did that once because it was so warm in the room.

Why don't you just admit that you havnt got a clue what your doing. Put your hands up and admit that your a chancer and the feedback won't be so harsh. Because at the minute your coming across as a know it all with a bad attitude who is shite at what he's doing. Your not a fireman by chance are you?

I do know what I am doing. I just had no idea why two bags of multi finish mixed the same way on two different days had gone off as quick as they did. so quick that I hardly had time to get it on the ceiling.

I do know what I am doing. I just had no idea why two bags of multi finish mixed the same way on two different days had gone off as quick as they did. so quick that I hardly had time to get it on the ceiling.

Did you use your dirty washing out water from the day before, cuz you couldn't be arsed to walk to the tap?

Over mixing will cause your gear to go off this happens when your adding water then powder then water then powder and so on your just mixing it too much, also maybe mix it a bit wetter. If its one wall or a ceiling with a bags worth of plaster just use the same mix its that simple, its not law you have to use another mix ive used the same mix 1000's of times and never had a problem but if your not so quick and **** about with it on the wall, its gonna go pear shaped. There is a saying I made up "Plaster waits for no man" which is true, i did have to change it years later to "Plaster waits for no man or women" but I was half way through my 3rd plastering book so it worked out ok :)

Over mixing will cause your gear to go off this happens when your adding water then powder then water then powder and so on your just mixing it too much, also maybe mix it a bit wetter. If its one wall or a ceiling with a bags worth of plaster just use the same mix its that simple, its not law you have to use another mix ive used the same mix 1000's of times and never had a problem but if your not so quick and **** about with it on the wall, its gonna go pear shaped. There is a saying I made up "Plaster waits for no man" which is true, i did have to change it years later to "Plaster waits for no man or women" but I was half way through my 3rd plastering book so it worked out ok :)

I don't keep adding water then powder, I measure out the water needed, pour that in to my mixing bucket, then add just over half the bag before the mixer goes in. then add the rest of the plaster and carry on mixing and cleaning the edges of the bucket with my bucket trowel.
as I said I haven't mixed multi for a long time, each time there looked to be little lumps in the plaster, so I mixed it for a bit longer until they were gone.
I'm not saying I was taught the perfect way in college, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. I haven't had any problems until now either.

Feckin ell you still havin probs marshy :-0
Can't believe this threads still going, reckon marshy's on the wind up lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.