multi finish plaster vs all purpose compound for skimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsmallz

Hey guys
I was hoping to get some advice on this issue. we have all purpose joint compound product from USG and they use it in the U.S for skimming. now we wondering if any of you guys have been able to try this all purpose joint compound for skimming? they call it level 5 finish in the U.S. we want a very high end finish so we wondering wether we should get multi thiste finish instead? please kindly advise.

there's a link to it

Sheetrock Direct All Purpose Ready Mixed Joint Cement

Regards

If your skimming boards, use British gypsum board finish, or knauf mp, Knauf also do a board finish,

You can water that compound down apply by trowel and then sand but its not designed for that application.

Knauf own usg and have a product called airless. It's applied via machine and it offers a faster cleaner install method the multi on larger jobs and also is a higher quality finish the standard multi.

Just finished spraying 550 m2 house today and got another to 1509m2 next week.

If your looking for someone to do it for you let me know

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using The Plasterers Forum mobile app

Last edited:
You can water that compound down apply by trowel and then sand but its not designed for that application.

Knauf own usg and have a product called airless. It's applied via machine and it offers a faster cleaner install method the multi on larger jobs and also is a higher quality finish the standard multi.

Just finished spraying 550 m2 house today and got another to 1509m2 next week. It's growing in popularity.

Hi guys
So what I hea is that It can be done but not to the ideal thing then. Issue is we already have a stock of of all purpose compound. So we should purchase some multi finish then? But any chance we can keep compound to save on cost a still have a high end finish ?

How's it faster if it all has to be tape jointed sanded then the level 5 finish over the top, with multi you scrim it and crack on

Think you would would spend more time getting it to a standard and getting spreads to adapt to using it then you would with multi.
Not worth the hassle in trying to get spreads to change there habits of good craftsmanship with what they know already

How's it faster if it all has to be tape jointed sanded then the level 5 finish over the top, with multi you scrim it and crack on

**** I didn't think about that I best stop doing it and tell all the sites they have got it wrong

Yes go tell the first site you've done it on in the 2 years you've been skimming its slower

Last edited:

Just finished spraying 550 m2 house today and got another to 1509m2 next week.

Hi Can i ask how long it took and how many men to skim 550 m2

If you and a lab can skim a 3 bed house 550 m in 3 days.then yes.

But that can't be done

Yep I'd you do it right the sanding is a piece of piss

It's all in the taping and
prep. do that right and you save time when spraying and sandind. Also save on material which brings the cost down.

If I was the client/customer I would choose a product that I knew would not need to be sanded down.i have no issues with multi.never had any problems with it.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

If you were a client you would opt for the quickest and cheapest way to acheive a skim coat to plasterboard. They don't give a **** what it is or how its done in my experience.

It's only a finish which they then paint over in the end of the day

If you were a client you would opt for the quickest and cheapest way to acheive a skim coat to plasterboard. They don't give a **** what it is or how its done in my experience.

It's only a finish which they then paint over in the end of the day

To true Steve.do you use the ritmo to spray Steve?

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Airless sprayer. Airlessco sl1500 its a beast. I also offer a whiting out service with it.

Couple more strings in the bow

Status
Not open for further replies.