Multi Finish on Multi Finish

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWilson

Hey Evening,

I am a plasterer trained at college, so haven't come over this problem yet. I arrived on site today to hear that a decorators customer had a bad plaster job done. I went to have a look this evening, just got back and put my dinner on. :p

I have a photo of this "cowboy" work and need to remedy it, or at least want to know how to remedy this for future reference.
I've been taught, don't plaster over multi-finish. So how accurate is this, is it mostly, as I am aware, for the presentation and consistency of a skim, or are the crystals in the gypsum doing their thing for weeks and another batch of PVA and Gypsum MF on the top going to pop off the wall? Develop weaknesses? I imagine the moisture drawing into the gypsum behind the set gypsum, causing a weaker set and giving less retention and mostly a shorter life. But this is just a guess. So I am here for a bit more technical information.

I feel bad for the customer and myself, that a man can charge £900 for this!!! Raging insult to my time and effort in college and building up my own craft skills. My first job I charged £60, for the same size and did a better job, with beads and all!

He has also used one coat thistle on bare brick. I thought browning on bare brick would be better, advice?

Last edited:
Hi Mate, come across same problem, unibond areas with 50 50 mix give it 2 good coats, re bead and re skim I never had any comebacks doing it my self,cheers

Which college where you taught at? Forget reskimming it until it has completely dried because I doubt it will ever dry out.

Hey Evening,

I am a plasterer trained at college, so haven't come over this problem yet. I arrived on site today to hear that a decorators customer had a bad plaster job done. I went to have a look this evening, just got back and put my dinner on. :p

I have a photo of this "cowboy" work and need to remedy it, or at least want to know how to remedy this for future reference.
I've been taught, don't plaster over multi-finish. So how accurate is this, is it mostly, as I am aware, for the presentation and consistency of a skim, or are the crystals in the gypsum doing their thing for weeks and another batch of PVA and Gypsum MF on the top going to pop off the wall? Develop weaknesses? I imagine the moisture drawing into the gypsum behind the set gypsum, causing a weaker set and giving less retention and mostly a shorter life. But this is just a guess. So I am here for a bit more technical information.

I feel bad for the customer and myself, that a man can charge £900 for this!!! Raging insult to my time and effort in college and building up my own craft skills. My first job I charged £60, for the same size and did a better job, with beads and all!

He has also used one coat thistle on bare brick. I thought browning on bare brick would be better, advice?

how long were you at college for?

how many walls have we all re-skimmed not knowing what sort of plaster was used prior ..i e ..carlite finish...multi finish....board finish....just pre grit it and skim with what ever you feel comfy with ....as for the old bare brick dust it off .....coat with pva then carlite bonding......

Look sorry dude. I am just trying to say. That in college where I learnt about plastering, we did not go over the details of fixing work like this.

I don't understand, told what? I wasn't told anything on this, that's why I posted the thread...

I was at Highbury College. Does it make a difference now?

Thanks, I'll try Uni Finish. I haven't used that yet.

I re-read my post and saw how you read it. I apologise, anyway, sorry to bug you guys.

Last edited:
Look sorry dude. I am just trying to say. That in college where I learnt about plastering, we did not go over the details of fixing work like this.

I don't understand, told what? I wasn't told anything on this, that's why I posted the thread...

I was at Highbury College. Does it make a difference now?

Thanks, I'll try Uni Finish. I haven't used that yet.
You never went over reskimming? You came up with some mad theory so thought you might have taught that. Like I said let it dry first coz if it never dries it has become your job and your problem. And chill the f**k out

Should have went to the u tube collage of higher excellence..(y)

they cover gypsum crystals and gypsum mites....

heres a tip - dont call yourself a plasterer! maybe an improver to the wicked real world! dont take offence mate- its just how it is x x

Is this the up and coming to the trade?

f**k me, I despair.

You said you were taught not to skim over multi. That is bullshit for starters so I would question anything else this college has taught you.

Last edited:
Unbelivable is this forum sometimes..this is wat I've been saying all along about college and courses..im lost for words..and as sum1 said dont call urself a plasterer ur a handy man at best with the sounds of it..please tell me ur doing it for free? Put pics up wen uve reskimmed the same wall as I cant believe uve got cheek to slate sum1 else's work out when ur asking s**t like that I bet urs is no better..f**k me I'm turning into flynny lol

When mixing up should I have the drill going clockwise or anti clockwise. I can't remember what I was told at College. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Keith the plasterer.

Bad isn't it..think I'm guna take a months holiday from forum..just annoying how these people call themselves plasterers and actually go into peoples houses and slate somebodys else's work be it s**t or not and charge people aswell..

Unbelivable is this forum sometimes..this is wat I've been saying all along about college and courses..im lost for words..and as sum1 said dont call urself a plasterer ur a handy man at best with the sounds of it..please tell me ur doing it for free? Put pics up wen uve reskimmed the same wall as I cant believe uve got cheek to slate sum1 else's work out when ur asking s**t like that I bet urs is no better..f**k me I'm turning into flynny lol
:risas2:

When mixing up should I have the drill going clockwise or anti clockwise. I can't remember what I was told at College. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Keith the plasterer.
I do it left handed then its like somebody else is doing it for me !? Bit like wanking ?? :inocente:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.