Multi- finish on fermacell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone

I am gonna be starting a job soon that will be using fermacell boards throughout. They want it skimmed with mult-finish instead of the fst. I was wondering has anyone skimmed over fermacell with multi and what preparation did they do to the board as I'm assuming its gonna need sealing. Is PVA enough? I was thinking GypPrime as I have used this before on different fibrous boards and found it a good product but it is very pricey.

Thanks

It needs fst'ing. We did skim some over the summer at the clients request. After 3 coats of unibond there was still some fire cracking. After one corridor it was then agreed that the rest of them would be done correctly.

Gyprime is good stuff for killing suction even at 5-1 ratio but it will not have a key so as Buliderboi says maybe betakontakt. You could pick up a 3kg tub from wickes and do a small trial area.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like a no no then. I don't know why they specifically want multi. Maybe they think it's a bit more durable. I told the site agent today that if you're thinking of using multi you need to speak to fermacell first and see what they say as they probably won't guarantee it as you're not using their product.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like a no no then. I don't know why they specifically want multi. Maybe they think it's a bit more durable. I told the site agent today that if you're thinking of using multi you need to speak to fermacell first and see what they say as they probably won't guarantee it as you're not using their product.
they wnt.

They are a twatt to ski lot of suction issues due to the make up of em even there jointing compound is pants an a twwatt to cut

This job is starting to kick off now and we done a mock up room and a plant room. Watered down some PVA 5-1 and rolled that on. It skimmed beautifully. No crazing or shelling off and it actually hung quite wet and we had to wait around bit in-between stages. I don't know if they have altered the board slightly but there was no issues from start to finish so happy days.

This job is starting to kick off now and we done a mock up room and a plant room. Watered down some PVA 5-1 and rolled that on. It skimmed beautifully. No crazing or shelling off and it actually hung quite wet and we had to wait around bit in-between stages. I don't know if they have altered the board slightly but there was no issues from start to finish so happy days.
I've done a few fermacell jobs, 5-1 or 4-1 mix pva then skim never a problem.
On a large ceiling recently which was very dry, at the ridge of a house, above wood stove, had been up two years before skimming so dry as a bone, sealed the day before with 5-1 then rolled on a coat of pva 3-1 morning before skimming, no problems despite pulling in relatively quick after initially staying wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.