Multi finish on board

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke105

Finished a job today....a loft conversion. Had been boarded a while ago. Was first time plastering in a loft.
I used multi on the ceiling...clean water and brand new multi.
I just seemed to think it went off quite quick really. I'm not the fastest plasterer granted but I know about setting times normally.

do you think it's because it's in the loft and it's hot....lack of air flow, boards sitting for a while? Or something else you think?

please don't reply saying speed up or you can plaster 3
3 rooms in a day as I dont care....just want opinions.

thanks.

Speed up I can plaster 3 rooms a day and I want you to know, so there, loft won't be hot at this time of the year ,the boards can be a bit dry if fitted a long time back, did I mention I once done three lofts in a day ,you need to speed up,I want you to care..

What's best....just a light brush of water?
If the were very dry, a light coat of pva, I might test an area to see what drying was like, every job is different and I am At it day in day out for 27 yrs and I do plastering too,if its fast drying, do smaller hits or rolling hits, never have it putting you under pressure,at your own pace, lofts are all types of angles so do opposite splays and you will get a feel for the timing..

I think the curve at the top took a lot of my time up. It might have just been that and the boards being dry.
i will do that pva next time. I have another ceiling to do next week, just normal on old style plasterboard. I will pva that as it's been painted in the past anyway.
Today just got me a bit worried I think as I don't ever run out of time.

I went college a few years ago for 2 years. ...but didn't pursue it because
of my age and wanting to work for myself. So I'm just learning all the things that can happen in the real world

I think the curve at the top took a lot of my time up. It might have just been that and the boards being dry.
i will do that pva next time. I have another ceiling to do next week, just normal on old style plasterboard. I will pva that as it's been painted in the past anyway.

of my age and wanting to work for myself. So I'm just learning all the things that can happen in the real world
We are all learning,experience something new every day

just think about the money and what you have learnt from this job luke,at least now you have plastered in a loft, next time you will be that bit wiser

Yeh I agree. I must admit when I left this job tonight I was thinking "oh god I have that ceiling next week....etc"

what do you do in the scenario in the summer...just simply have to work very quickly because of the heat?

Yeh I agree. I must admit when I left this job tonight I was thinking "oh god I have that ceiling next week....etc"

what do you do in the scenario in the summer...just simply have to work very quickly because of the heat?
Smaller hits, sometimes need to black out windows in lofts if intense direct sunlight

We do alot of 3storey townhouses in the summer the top floor can easily hit 35ºc+ we always start earlier have a couple of good hits then drop down a floor and have a easier afternoon in the cool.

if its going like that you can get an extra hit on to make up for the smaller hits ,so you should still cover the same area

I built the curve out with bonding. Skimmed the other walls yesterday. Then today did the ceiling.
I should have known anyway because yesterday I did a wall downstairs and a wall in the attic in one hit....I started the downstairs wall first but ended up flattening in the attic wall first. i never knew about boards being dry...so a lesson learnt

I think I probably could have done a better job bonding out the curve. On first skim coat I was having to do a lot of mucking about trying to get a good base coat curve.

i will take more time with the bonding next time to make it easier and give the boards a lick of pva.

We pva boards if they've been up a while or lying around a while. Done a barn conversion a while back that had a mix of old boards and new ones, was a nightmare. Old ones were sucking like hell and new ones the plaster was hanging. Done it since then.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

"Diy plastering tips"?
Are you practicing on people's homes and getting paid for work you're not qualified to do?
If you're pricing domestic jobs you really should be 110% confident in your abilities.
If your saying you weren't very happy with how the job looked when you left then give the customer a discount of the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.