Mould growing on external plastering

Members online

reddxue

Hi all

An inexperienced person posting here.

A few months ago whilst refurbishing our house, we plastered our internal ‘yard’ and also removed the tiles. In between removing the tiles and laying the new ones (which took a few weeks), it rained quite a lot and the gravel where the screed once stood became really wet (what we use in my country isn’t a hard concrete screed finish under the tiles, but very small stones and fine grains similar to sand with small pebbles – I don’t know the technical term). We then laid the new tiles a few weeks later.

What happened, as expected, is that mould as you can see in the picture is now present in the walls, probably rising from the water beneath which may have seeped in the wall.

yb4rmZx.jpg

My question is should I remove the plaster up to the level where the wall is black, wait for it to dry, and then replaster? Or should I leave it as it is and then repaint in the future? If I touch the black parts I get black colour on my hands.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

An inexperienced person posting here.

A few months ago whilst refurbishing our house, we plastered our internal ‘yard’ and also removed the tiles. In between removing the tiles and laying the new ones (which took a few weeks), it rained quite a lot and the gravel where the screed once stood became really wet (what we use in my country isn’t a hard concrete screed finish under the tiles, but very small stones and fine grains similar to sand with small pebbles – I don’t know the technical term). We then laid the new tiles a few weeks later.

What happened, as expected, is that mould as you can see in the picture is now present in the walls, probably rising from the water beneath which may have seeped in the wall.

yb4rmZx.jpg

My question is should I remove the plaster up to the level where the wall is black, wait for it to dry, and then replaster? Or should I leave it as it is and then repaint in the future? If I touch the black parts I get black colour on my hands.

Thanks a lot for your help!

What’s it been plastered with and what country are you in?

I live in Malta. It's been plastered with some Italian brand every plasterer uses here for external areas - it's called GR1000.

http://melibugeja.com.mt/portfolio/gr1000/

I lived in this house for the past 10 years and had no problem with mould in that area, so I'm sure this happened because of the water which seeped in the un-tiled area (entirely my fault). I've got no problem removing the plaster and engaging the same plasterer to re-do that section. Just want to ensure that this is the right approach.

Thank you!

Any opinions welcome! Not sure if it should be removed, or if scrubbed by some sort of product and then repainted. Thanks!