Monocouche finishing trouble

Members online

Dr pepper

Hi all just signed up the the forum, only just starting getting into the monocouche render struggling to fine the best way to finish it? I beam it then scratch it or just scratch? Plus how do get out a flat spot?

You can't just scratch you need to I bar it first,
Not sure what you mean by a flat spot, but when you put it on the wall, rule it flat to start with. The flatter you get it go start with the less chance of any misses.

You can't just scratch you need to I bar it first,
Not sure what you mean by a flat spot, but when you put it on the wall, rule it flat to start with. The flatter you get it go start with the less chance of any misses.
Flats spots must be where you've put it on to thin and your back to the first coat .

Not so muck thicker but defo first coat below bead level then second coat applied wet on wet.

Not that easy on hand apply but a must do.

So if you have high and low spots will the I bar take them out later?

I have never done any of this modern render

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

think I am going to have to actually have a few days with this modern lark.... sounds like witchcraft

It's piss easy to be honest. Any competent plasterer/renderer could do mono after a bit of reading up.

Well mate im sure that worked for you but the amount of jobs ive seen where people had a "read up" and fixed is ridiculous.
Then some peoples idea of quality might be different to another.

On the other hand if all the have a go heroes could so that we wouldnt be so choca busy

Are the fly by nites who's work you are sorting competent plasterers/renderers though JFE? I doubt it.

I'm not saying anyone could rock up and slap it on and get a good finish, far from it. But in my experience a good spread who can render traditionally can do it without much experience of using the product.

Are the fly by nites who's work you are sorting competent plasterers/renderers though JFE? I doubt it.

I'm not saying anyone could rock up and slap it on and get a good finish, far from it. But in my experience a good spread who can render traditionally can do it without much experience of using the product.

Probanly right Maybe they are shite plasterers too yeah.
They traini g lads on renders now who never even picked up a trowel. Its a minefield.

True my dad bought me up on sand & cement but this k rend lark is a lot easier than it looks . Love it and the money rolls in . Just bought a machine

I’m having issues with monocouche too. With 15mm beads a bit of a nightmare, started to put a coat on around 6-8mm bead some mesh in , then smear over the top of that, then rule it serrated and get flat and fill hollows , let that pick up for an hour , then top it with another coat and serrated it and then spatula, tricky product by hand and not sure if I’m serrating it to early as it sags and air pockets sometimes, very annoying as i always set out to do a good job

I’m having issues with monocouche too. With 15mm beads a bit of a nightmare, started to put a coat on around 6-8mm bead some mesh in , then smear over the top of that, then rule it serrated and get flat and fill hollows , let that pick up for an hour , then top it with another coat and serrated it and then spatula, tricky product by hand and not sure if I’m serrating it to early as it sags and air pockets sometimes, very annoying as i always set out to do a good job
Filling 15mm out buy hand in cold conditions is a monkeys game. More you play more it sags.

I wouldn’t be to disheartened with it, just keep persevering with it. Each scratch render has different characteristics with them. It’s tricky by hand as it’s better to the applicator sprayed to be fair.