Mono onto cement board ??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

User________removed

Private Member
Got a job to do shortly refurbishing a fire place, basically being opened out to take a log basket. The inside is being done with sand cement and lime, with the breast being rendered also. The problem being that the breast is being extended out to the side with stud work so that it can house a large vertical opening where logs will be stacked, so will be boarded.

My thoughts were to dab cement boards across the face of the breast over the stud work so that it can all be rendered in one, she also likes the scraped texture of mono and wants the breast done in this. but not the inside. So is it doable to dab cement boards ?? and would they take Monorex GF ?? anyone use mono on internal stuff ? im thinking it would look quite good, as a feature.

Cheers AB

:RpS_thumbup:Ive used mono internaly but i wouldnt dream of dabbing cement board, check with the manufacturers

Ok mate that's sound never dabbed it either was just a thought. it would be screwed also, as the stud work will be set slightly forward of the brick work to alow the boards to be cast thro taking the dab, same way you would with normal board. Ill look into it.

do what you gotta do mate sticking them.....gripfil, dabs, screws....whatever works for you. Ive used parex monorex on cement boards but we put a coat of maite with mesh in it first and run a serrated tool through it for key . 10mm beads though to keep the weight down with the mesh layer within this so 6mm ish of mono

Do as goody said but i wouldn't use beads , just hard angle and maybe even some cuts to create an avon stone effect, try cement based tile ahdesive for dabbing em on as some one suggested in another post and ye deffo second fix with some screws through the dabs

could you suggest just skimming the breast with normal boards and then use a bucket render over that........would give the same sort of outside texture but be more practical and the colour choices are endless. no beads on show either

could you suggest just skimming the breast with normal boards and then use a bucket render over that........would give the same sort of outside texture but be more practical and the colour choices are endless. no beads on show either

i was thinking along similar lines initially, but there's a log burner involved , gonna get warm, and i suppose the downside with the mono is soot and s**t from the log burner staining the mono, another option could be to use some wallcrete from pics and create whatever effect you want in what ever colour, then seal it

your right there warrior butt, soot and mono not exactly a winning combo lol. would look good in black or something though with a black burner and logs in the recess

i would look into a venitian plaster if you want something rustic plus its suited for inside and you can just use the usual method of dabbing the board, look for marmorino or something like it - natural stone finish

airbourne, parex say you can dab the gtec external p/board with maite, then just a mesh coat fully with maite ,scratched to take gf!

Status
Not open for further replies.