mixing s&c by hand

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Private Member
Eyup Chaps,

Out of interest does anyone ever mix small amounts of s&c by hand apposed to using a cement mixer?.

If so whats your preference plastic spotboard on floor or plastic bath?

Do you find it mixes everything consistently enough?

Any usefull tips?

Zombie

I use an old ready mix compo tub off a building site i worked on years ago, you can stab it with your shovel and it will not go through, you can wack it with a length of 4x2 it will not split, had it years and never let me down. (yet)

I once mixed S & C in a bath for the full front of a 3 story house. Pretty sure that would fkin kill me now :RpS_scared:

Hi Flynnyman,

I thought about using the whisk in my big bin that i use for hardwall etc.

Didnt think it would work with it being reverse to normal ie adding water 2nd apposed to powder to water etc.

So i guess you just mix it dry with shovel first then start adding water and whisk when happy with the consistency etc?.

Thanks zombie

i use my rafina mixer to do small s/c jobs.... loads easier than by hand lol bit of water plus the additives...add bag of sand mix...add cement mix...add another bag sand mix lol pretty simplesss.

I once mixed S & C in a bath for the full front of a 3 story house. Pretty sure that would fkin kill me now :RpS_scared:

My ex brother in law used to labour for me years ago and he used to work like fook all hand balled and six bag mixes well 8 if you count the lime and sand and he always kept me and my mate going.

i use my rafina mixer to do small s/c jobs.... loads easier than by hand lol bit of water plus the additives...add bag of sand mix...add cement mix...add another bag sand mix lol pretty simplesss.

ahh right i see treat it as you would plaster H20 in first cool bud cheers!!

I knock up small mixes in a barrow. The rule I use is any more than 3 m and get thd mixer out.

I do find you can't get it anything like as creamy in the barrow though. I suppose thd mixer puts air into it turning it.

Hi Lizard821000,

How do you manage to ensure youve got the right ratios to your mix doing it that way mate?

Zombie

Put the sand in lets say 4 then 1 cement mix with the whisk then add water ive done full houses with it no problem oh with a mega mixer

its fewkin kills me just knocking up a couple of mixes for dampproofing in the bath. so doing a 3 storey front was a canny man test bubbs.................:-0

Thanks Flynnyman,

Guess could always get it going with the shovel then whisk after a bit then if my mixers not got the guts.

Thanks Zombie

its fewkin kills me just knocking up a couple of mixes for dampproofing in the bath. so doing a 3 storey front was a canny man test bubbs.................:-0

I passed :RpS_biggrin:

Because I was as fit as fook :RpS_thumbsup:

And a little bit daft :RpS_blushing:

I sometimes have to mix small batches up and it is usually in the bath. Dry mix sand and cement first then add water.

Now in the good old days when men was men we would knock up all the s&c needed for a wall in one go. It was done by either Billy Green a 64 year old who had worked for the company since he was 20 as a labourer or me and him if I was around.

It was not as hard as you would think. 3 8x4 boards to mix on. Chuck on the required amount of sand and cement at one end and shovel it all to the other end. Repeat twice more. Then on the last dry mix leave it in the middle and make a big hole in it so it was like a dam wall but round. put water and additives in then introduce the s&c into it from the inside of the walls. Because there was to much water it mixed easily. Only as you got to the last bit of the remaining wall did it become stiff. Then give it a good mixing with a shovel.

He could mix up for a whole gable faster than you could do it today with a Belle Mini Mixer.

If I did it today it would kill me though and if I told the lads to it they would walk.

when the mixing drills came out most did not need a lab anymore.hard work mixin in a plastic bath.mixin hardwall all day.

i love getting labourers to mix by hand, big strong guys, they are soft as **** when it comes to mixing by hand...

when the mixing drills came out most did not need a lab anymore.hard work mixin in a plastic bath.mixin hardwall all day.

I did it once. 3 spreads floated a flat out in a day
I Mixed it all in a bath by hand. Was absolutely knackered at the end. Full respect to the people who did it day in day out for years

that made me smile john but its true pal, all these young lads juiced up with fake muscles get out of breath whilst mixing by hand and cant do it. Stop have a smoke, mix, stop have a smoke mix lol and then go gym after work! How many of u lads go gym regulary after work? u need to get more gear on the walls am nackered by the time i get home. Swin, Sauna or steam room not included...

that made me smile john but its true pal, all these young lads juiced up with fake muscles get out of breath whilst mixing by hand and cant do it. Stop have a smoke, mix, stop have a smoke mix lol and then go gym after work! How many of u lads go gym regulary after work? u need to get more gear on the walls am nackered by the time i get home. Swin, Sauna or steam room not included...
Oh I could cry with the labs I had temporary, young door men, proper juiced up, even pics of their muscles on their phones, bless them,they could lift anything up to show you the power, a days graft was another thing. iphone in one hand and brush in the other..

I mix up small gauges in a tub with a whisk.

My old man insisted that I learnt to mix by hand tho when I was starting out. Can remember it now, mixing a batch on a sheet of ply with a shovel right next to a Benford mixer!

Mixed with a shovel it used to be said to turn it over "Three times dry and three times wet" :RpS_thumbup:

I had a cocky 16 year old in 1981 and I told him to get the mixer out of the back of my Viva HA van. He came back and said it's not there and I insisted he looked again I put it in that morning but he said it's not there so I snapped and said 'right, I show you' and I did. I opened the door and gave the shovel. He told me where to shove it and walked!

I did not no any better handbashing render up just got on with it, much better laugh, now days lads are on mobiles every spare moment they get all in there own little world. I suppose a bit like me on this forum:RpS_thumbsup:

Is that dog in your Avatar yours Henry? Handsome hound.

Yer that was my boy lost him 2 years back crushed me having to have him put to sleep. Not a day goes by when I dont think about how much I miss him.

Yer that was my boy lost him 2 years back crushed me having to have him put to sleep. Not a day goes by when I dont think about how much I miss him.
Sad, big animal fan myself, got a lovely Labrador and two cats,have met a few guys who lost their dogs to cancer, upsetting stuff

I lost my Labrador 10 years ago last month. Miss him everyday.

Walk in the house and your best mate isn't there to welcome you.

I lost my Labrador 10 years ago last month. Miss him everyday.

Walk in the house and your best mate isn't there to welcome you.
Part and parcel of your family, my lab is five in may, people come to our house to visit her, she is so great, just wants to be loved and fed off course.

Status
Not open for further replies.