Mix Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habbers

Hello, I'm new to the Forum and although I've done a fair bit of DIY plastering, I'm no professional and need a bit of advice.

I've got to do a "midsize" ceiling about 25m2 on my own. I want to do it in one clean sweep and I'm fairly confident I can work quick enough. My question is to what extent you can give yourself more working time with the plaster through the mix ratio you use. i.e. What Water/Powder mix can you go to and still result in sound plaster when dry whilst getting maximum working time out the mix?

Any constructive feedback welcome!

Habbers

Mix it as normal, use clean water, don't over mix, have three buckets ready for three bags of finish, get someone to mix, use stilts plenty of info have a search and read.

Hello, I'm new to the Forum and although I've done a fair bit of DIY plastering, I'm no professional and need a bit of advice.

I've got to do a "midsize" ceiling about 25m2 on my own. I want to do it in one clean sweep and I'm fairly confident I can work quick enough. My question is to what extent you can give yourself more working time with the plaster through the mix ratio you use. i.e. What Water/Powder mix can you go to and still result in sound plaster when dry whilst getting maximum working time out the mix?

Habbers

the best advice is get a plasterer and u do the mixing for him.

the best advice is get a plasterer and u do the mixing for him.

The reason I've taught myself to plaster, with some advise from some full time plasterers, is to save money as I'm restoring an old house and have had to do a shed load already. I've also had people ask who did mine as they need somebody good to do theirs so once I'm done I may even be able to make some beer money out of it.

Just this room has been knocked through and so I am curious about the opportunity to play with the mix.

Loks like I'll have to work quick and I like the idea of 3 buckets….Might have to enrol the wife in a crash course on plaster mixing!!! (and hope she gets the right end of the mixing paddle in!)

2 cups of p1ss in the mix will give you another 27 mins to get the job done, I do it all the time

25m2 for a diyer is a fair old size. On a side note if someone offered to mix up for me for 1 ceiling id tell them to do one. If it's all ready its a nice sat morning job for someone

U got it skimmed yet ? :RpS_laugh: What r u using to get up to height ? You need battens etc really to do this size , or if ur handy on stilts and have a pair lying around ....

best bit of advice your going to get is this mate!

just mix 1 bag sets at a time, wherever that finishes just blend in your next set.

no rushing then and ample time!:RpS_thumbup:

Or get a plasterer in!!!

though for what its worth ive stopped knocking big sets up and now just do 1 baggers and roll em all day. the daft thing is I actualy cover more ground in a day as will do 3/4 gauges apose to 2 bigguns!

you should be able to do that straight off, habbers. flynnys advice from above, plus work off a platform rather than ladders. and don't panic. if you're not that confident of getting it on you could use a pinch of cream of tartar to delay the set. can sometimes make it a bit greasy, though. or do it in two hits. run a line of scrim down the middle of the ceiling, plaster half on to it. trowel up your first half, then peel off the scrim, do your second half, lightly sponge the join and feather it in to the first

you should be able to do that straight off, habbers. flynnys advice from above, plus work off a platform rather than ladders. and don't panic. if you're not that confident of getting it on you could use a pinch of cream of tartar to delay the set. can sometimes make it a bit greasy, though. or do it in two hits. run a line of scrim down the middle of the ceiling, plaster half on to it. trowel up your first half, then peel off the scrim, do your second half, lightly sponge the join and feather it in to the first

We've used 3mm stop beads for larger areas.

cold tea delays the set. thats what i was told. never tried it, though, cos i only drink coffee. and alcohol.

I leave the piss for 4 weeks to mature - it has an aroma to it when mixed with plaster - it set a bit faster with any std infections :RpS_scared::RpS_lol: so ive been told :RpS_blushing:

I leave the piss for 4 weeks to mature - it has an aroma to it when mixed with plaster - it set a bit faster with any std infections :RpS_scared::RpS_lol: so ive been told :RpS_blushing:

And you put it on with a trowel from P1SS :RpS_thumbup:

The reason I've taught myself to plaster, with some advise from some full time plasterers, is to save money as I'm restoring an old house and have had to do a shed load already. I've also had people ask who did mine as they need somebody good to do theirs so once I'm done I may even be able to make some beer money out of it.

Just this room has been knocked through and so I am curious about the opportunity to play with the mix.

Loks like I'll have to work quick and I like the idea of 3 buckets….Might have to enrol the wife in a crash course on plaster mixing!!! (and hope she gets the right end of the mixing paddle in!)

:RpS_lol:

Post some pictures please, this has got 'Dear Diy Sos, please come and bail me out of, the shite', written all over it .

add water to your mix you'll have ample time... then smear your trowell in dog **** for better grip. regards

Habbers

Wet water is best :RpS_thumbup:

cold tea delays the set. thats what i was told. never tried it, though, cos i only drink coffee. and alcohol.

Alcohol defo delays the set m8. Ave seen me mixin up joint cement on a tapin job and F*****g off home

Thanks for the constructive and not so constructive feedback!

So far I've skimmed 3 smaller ceilings, 12m2 each and 3 rooms worth of walls including a staircase so like I said, Im a fairly confident DIY'er, and I'll give it a go, but no professional. I was just curious as to any "tricks of the trade" that might help me.

Somebody has offered to help me mix up so I should just be able to keep going and crack on with it.

I'll get some pics on once done (or update you with my tail of woe!)

:RpS_lol:

Nisus - I Wasn't saying I was good, but I suppose when you're doing your own place you put a bit of extra effort in. So far, although not perfect it's going well and I've saved a fortune. Don't try, Don't know if you can do it do you?

that's true, habbers. good luck with it. i 've rewired the last couple of houses i've had after doing a bit of research on forums. all signed off. saved a fortune.

Money saved in labour allows me to be able to buy better equipment and furniture once it's done!

Plus the satisfaction of doing it myself when people comment and also we've all got to start somewhere!

Money saved in labour allows me to be able to buy better equipment and furniture once it's done!

Plus the satisfaction of doing it myself when people comment and also we've all got to start somewhere!

what do u work at.

Status
Not open for further replies.