Might cheer up some domestics

you dont quote? :oops: as in ill tell you how much when im done? i gave up doing day rate for people because it kind of makes em your boss and they expect you to behave like a prostitute on a hourly rate....
I like to enjoy what i do based on the fact ive quoted it and can take as long as it needs to get it right...
My work is mainly overskim
I explain possible pros and cons for different scenarios with long term consequences , eg overskim , gut overboard , insulation , ( mid joists boarding lol) moving lights , sockets , rads etc The decisions then put on them but in most cases they are not doitupandsell so money is not an issue so they let.me do a high spec , especially if they are fitting cupboards and tiles etc themselves , it's all plumb lines and laser levels lol , not uncommon for a kitchen " overskim " for £300 to become £800 but it's their choice

My work is mainly overskim
I explain possible pros and cons for different scenarios with long term consequences , eg overskim , gut overboard , insulation , ( mid joists boarding lol) moving lights , sockets , rads etc The decisions then put on them but in most cases they are not doitupandsell so money is not an issue so they let.me do a high spec , especially if they are fitting cupboards and tiles etc themselves , it's all plumb lines and laser levels lol , not uncommon for a kitchen " overskim " for £300 to become £800 but it's their choice
youre right what youre saying.. especially getting the walls flat but are you still saying you dont quote? as in they think "oh bofs a good plasterer, it be spot on for three hundred quid" then you hit em with an 800 quid bill? :oops:

Some so called experts,who will be in demand. Quote from this is money.

According to futurist William Higham, of consultancy Bright Young Things, many households will come out of lockdown either looking to move or improve their existing homes.

He says: 'Lots of people will have decided that they don't like where they live – so there will be movement in the short term.

'But with many working from home for the foreseeable future, a lot of people will want to improve their home working environment.'

Many households will come out of lockdown either looking to move or improve their existing homes +4

The result, Higham says, will be a boom in loft conversions and garden offices and other structural and decorative improvements to make homes easier to work from.

Garden centres and DIY stores – now they can open again – are likely to do well from pent-up demand.
I said that on here weeks ago, the demand in domestic dwellings will still be there.

@algeeman ,,,, he will input,,,@owls he said his site going full pelt.

@hector lol
I can only call it as I see it. Our work is 80% site work 20% domestic,I haven't paid for any advertising in over 10 years, the domestics we do undertake are word of mouth. I've noticed no drop off in either as yet, that's not to say it can't or won't happen in the future who knows. I'm pricing tenders at present for the back end of the year and winning at the same figures I was before all this kicked off,this week alone I priced a new build site of 12 timber frame houses for November and won. so I see it as nonsence this drop in site rates as I've not seen any of it and I speak to other contractors in other trades. I have no intention of paying subbies lower rates because of the current situation.
This recession is different to the past because interest rates are record low, there's an over demand for the product i.e. New build or refurbishment of housing stock ,most people's jobs are pretty secure etc.

I think social media can be good in some businesses,i know a woman who sells top end cushions,expensive, cant make enough.instagram only mean of advertising.

Yet were i live some facebook plasterers get fantastic pr and they are awful
Been to re do their work.social media is fake sometimes.
We've never had a recession in a social media and digital age, so it will be interesting.

youre right what youre saying.. especially getting the walls flat but are you still saying you dont quote? as in they think "oh bofs a good plasterer, it be spot on for three hundred quid" then you hit em with an 800 quid bill? :oops:
Day rate is not that hard to add up , a rough estimate on time is all I give but I'm not going to spend time driving for a look , I tell them roughly when I'm coming , text to confirm when it's close to the day , then when I'm there I'll explain options and start with prep work , go and get materials from what's been decided , but it's on their time
Fair to all

Day rate is not that hard to add up , a rough estimate on time is all I give but I'm not going to spend time driving for a look , I tell them roughly when I'm coming , text to confirm when it's close to the day , then when I'm there I'll explain options and start with prep work , go and get materials from what's been decided , but it's on their time
Fair to all
That method wouldn’t work at all for me , I’d need to see the job , need to know what to bring , too many anomaly’s

I hope they’re correct, I’m also seeing site rates are reduced leading to ‘ship jumpers’ lots of site people are very skilled and adaptable
Those rates will go back up when things really get going again, to lure plasterers back. As mentioned, there's still a massive shortage of housing. European labour not there anymore.

I can only call it as I see it. Our work is 80% site work 20% domestic,I haven't paid for any advertising in over 10 years, the domestics we do undertake are word of mouth. I've noticed no drop off in either as yet, that's not to say it can't or won't happen in the future who knows. I'm pricing tenders at present for the back end of the year and winning at the same figures I was before all this kicked off,this week alone I priced a new build site of 12 timber frame houses for November and won. so I see it as nonsence this drop in site rates as I've not seen any of it and I speak to other contractors in other trades. I have no intention of paying subbies lower rates because of the current situation.
This recession is different to the past because interest rates are record low, there's an over demand for the product i.e. New build or refurbishment of housing stock ,most people's jobs are pretty secure etc.
I agree, in all industries big firms will be using pandemic to try it on, saying we're reducing this and increasing that. But supply and demand will be the true decider.

That method wouldn’t work at all for me , I’d need to see the job , need to know what to bring , too many anomaly’s
I just ask room dimensions for tresels / plank length , take tools , PVA , beads , scrim , often enough to do for a short day and pick up materials on the way home ready for next day

I just ask room dimensions for tresels / plank length , take tools , PVA , beads , scrim , often enough to do for a short day and pick up materials on the way home ready for next day
I went to a customer yesterday, two rooms to skim , one hallway landing, one room needs to go back to brick , the hallway needs the flank wall off also , hugely different job and price , the downside is now they can get quotes off others with my information

I went to a customer yesterday, two rooms to skim , one hallway landing, one room needs to go back to brick , the hallway needs the flank wall off also , hugely different job and price , the downside is now they can get quotes off others with my information
Yep , I'm on the payroll from the minute I'm in the door , if they're after setting up a bidding war I avoid all of that

A lot of them do that,I don't know about you, but you generally know if you got it or not before you leave property by the way they come across.

Build UK has been tracking the materials shortages faced by its members during the coronavirus crisis.

The results of the latest Build UK materials survey suggest that, while the demand for plaster and plasterboard has eased compared to a couple of weeks ago, both are likely to remain in short supply for the short and medium term, it said.

Really its eased.

Yeah but (Bristol accent) the banks are ditching 5% mortgages and making u put down 40% deposit so that will slow sites right down,

well,hope you are right owls

I went to quote a halls stairs landing yesterday its all back to brick the customer wants it float and set,landing ceiling and hallway ceiling need overboarding I thought nice I havent done any float and set for awhile I like it when it comes around carpet is down though I quoted £2500 they thought I was taking the piss I said your looking at a weeks work there easy I said if you go down the dot&dab route guess what it's still not going to be cheap,probably get someone of checkatrade to dab and skim the lot for £500 now,always the plastering trade that gets mugged off until a cheapie fucks the job up,I still think there will still be a demand for plasterers as the year goes on just customers are gunna expect cheaper prices

over the coming days more and more firms will be doing the same,good times have gone,

that's absolute shite
house builders dont wont to loose their good lads
they will end up with idiots that cost them twice as much.....

as for 40% deposits on mortgages is shite aswell
everyone is having a mortgage break.

the banks and builders simply make too much money to go down the road ...

£300 million a day its costing construction in the uk.

they want it back running again.

I said that on here weeks ago, the demand in domestic dwellings will still be there.
demand will be there ,slight problem is over the coming weeks/months ,as people lose there jobs,firms /shops/etc go out of buisness ,then it will kick in ,people will cut back,.....but as you say owls ,demand will still be there ,only problem is there will be nobody to buy them,these big builders will be moitoring the situation carefully,and then sites will close down

that's absolute shite
house builders dont wont to loose their good lads
they will end up with idiots that cost them twice as much.....

as for 40% deposits on mortgages is shite aswell
everyone is having a mortgage break.

the banks and builders simply make too much money to go down the road ...

£300 million a day its costing construction in the uk.

they want it back running again.

so so wrong in everything in this post algee,

seriously,go online and read some financial papers/magazines,
see what the chancellor/bank of england governor has said
listen to the news or radio 4 when they are interviewing financial journalists/commentators
banks are being more cautious and carefull then before even with big builders
make no mistake as and when these site closures begin/sites put on hold,they will not be bothered at all how good you are,
there was once a saying,......if the building trade is doing well the country is doing well,.....sadly because of this savage nightmare recession that is heading full pelt towards us ,.....the good times have gone