Micro...no base

CeeVee

I was told on a course I did early this year that you could if necessary give a microcement finish using no base.
The first coat of fino has to have a key....
Anyone done this?
Any advice?
I don't want to do this often but I'm now in a situation beyond my control where I have to on this one particular job...

plas1

im not 100% sure mate but I thought a Fino was only a top coat over base.I use a brand where same stuff is used for two coats other than additional 3rd coat depending on finish.
Rob jack will probably know as I know his stuff was a base/Finontop coat.sorry can't really help mate hopefully someone comes along.Whats the job?

CeeVee

Its a shower enclosure in a loft that will never get used...big mix up with price/materials and time.
The supplier/manufacturers are applicators themselves and have told me if push comes to shove I can just use top coat, but they didn't teach that technique.

Just wondered if anyone did that.
Which brand do you use?

RobJack

You can do it mate. Use your fino coat as your base coat. Once dried either do a second fino and finish but a wet on wet coat will turn out nicer. This hasn' got as much strength as using a larger gritted base coat but for walls it' fine. I wouldn't do this on a floor though. Always use base on floors. Have a go on a couple of sample boards using 2 coats and the wet on wet process and see the difference in finish. Obviously you will use more material with 3 coats rather than 2. Still give your first dried coat a sand before applying the next

CeeVee

You can do it mate. Use your fino coat as your base coat. Once dried either do a second fino and finish but a wet on wet coat will turn out nicer. This hasn' got as much strength as using a larger gritted base coat but for walls it' fine. I wouldn't do this on a floor though. Always use base on floors. Have a go on a couple of sample boards using 2 coats and the wet on wet process and see the difference in finish. Obviously you will use more material with 3 coats rather than 2. Still give your first dried coat a sand before applying the next
Excellent.
Cheers mate

johniosaif

Private Member
Yes , I'm so useless when it comes to doing courses and stuff , hats off to you , what course did you do and with who

plas1

cheers mate.You seem to be doing well though bud and if your getting more of it coming in so your only get better.Just find that jobs are a lot more interesting with this stuff and Venetian also.