Hiya

I have skimmed a few over the years but never meshed any :-(

How would you go about this?

Heres a pic

Attachments

• 1417706403525.jpg
    1417706403525.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,536
fit 3 battens, nailed into the tread of the stairs. one at each end one in the middle. fit building paper or felt to the battens. fit eml to battens starting at the top and try to fit the eml as tight as poss.
prick up eml with thistle bonding leave to set the recoat with bonding until you get the shape you require, then skim.

Don't bother with the building paper, use stiff bonding let it set then another softer coat. Or just use one coat stiff first then straight on with the soft.I would use probably 6/7 battens though.

Right ok so those battens go all the way accross the treads...

Would you put battens on the wall below the stairs... i was half expecting to take off the board on that part of the wall...

I wish we could have done it in real wood but just for pine and mdf joinery companies wanted over £5k this one i managed to design and build for £1100 i think... she will look fine when finished :)

I have plastered a load of these i the past just never meshed them.... wish i paid more attention ;-/

You want a kind of pivot point on the newel post and fan the battens out.screw into the timber string thats bolted to wall. That way follow shape of stair case

Hiya

I have skimmed a few over the years but never meshed any :-(

How would you go about this?

Screw 2x1 vertically,left right and centre to underside of tread where it meets the riser,coming near flush to the bottom of the string, eml it ,pricking up coat, then fit stop beads 5 mm back from the face of the string,then float and set,I always stuff Rockwall in before eml-ing

Overall the mesh it will make it easier mix some cement with your first mix of bonding it will set quicker and scratch best to build up in three coats to get the shape even easier if you have the space build box it in and board.

If it's your own place and you've got time the night before, keep the EML as tight as poss, blow some expanding foam randomly in places, gives a solid surface, cut back a bit next day and bond . Heard it here first folks, giving away irish_spread tips :RpS_thumbsup:

Or build a little room under the stairs to put away shoes or stuffs with metal studdings and board it up. Just food for thought - if it was my place as don't like a piece of staircase sticking out. Imo

Or if staircase is going to attic make room in attic and make bedroom in roof and call it conversion bedroom :RpS_thumbsup:

Once the eml is on i use a midget trowel to lay on and a window squeegee to shape it. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 320
You could paint a cement slurry on the eml first and leave it to dry, gives it a bit of suction for the pricking coat

Or build a little room under the stairs to put away shoes or stuffs with metal studdings and board it up. Just food for thought - if it was my place as don't like a piece of staircase sticking out. Imo

Little rooms? You mean like mini dungeons? Not sure what you mean mate :)

I get all the plastering bit :) That bit is teh obvious/easy bit...

This is what I think will work.... correct me please if I am wrong :)

1417706403525_zps765c043d.jpg

if youve still got a chippy on site dan get him to batten it out for you, then just do what your best at, ie meshing and plastering.. at least that way if jane says its rough as f... you can just blame the chippy lol

get these pavan babies from mike wye:

817/PV

817/RS1 (Thin)

816/PIT

cheap as chips. so flexible its unreal. amazing for obtuse angles, sweeps, etc. did a weird bathroom ceiling last week with them last week and gave myself a pat on the back it was that good. customer was amazed and then when i was packing away asked if i'd forgotten to board over the trapdoor in the ceiling
:RpS_cursing:

But Danny. You obviously know and can see the shape you want. Ul need to allow for the mesh to flow into the ceiling if that's the look you want. Other than that it's fairly self explanatory. Wherever you want the mesh to go. You need to provide a fixing. If you use separate pieces of mesh make sure you overlap sufficiently and tie them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.