Mental health help.

Members online

loky11

Hi chaps,

I don't really know what to do, I've just found out my little bro is depressed and anxious, he's 20 yrs old, he's only told my mum last week and made her promise not to tell anyone, but she's told me if confidence, he doesn't know I know but my mum doesn't know what to do as she feels she can't tell anyone, he's told her today he feels like ending it, she has her own health problems and I'm worrying for the pair of them, has anyone been through depression etc ? How did you get through it ? Cheers.

paulf

I know that seeking professional help is not what people want to do, but it's the best thing to do.

tapit

20 year old sleeping all day and playing computer all night is perfectly normal.
He will grow out of it unfortunately.

Hi chaps,

I don't really know what to do, I've just found out my little bro is depressed and anxious, he's 20 yrs old, he's only told my mum last week and made her promise not to tell anyone, but she's told me if confidence, he doesn't know I know but my mum doesn't know what to do as she feels she can't tell anyone, he's told her today he feels like ending it, she has her own health problems and I'm worrying for the pair of them, has anyone been through depression etc ? How did you get through it ? Cheers.
Talk to him. Just talk to him. My mother in law tried 3 times. Dont let things wait get him the help he needs.

BigBruvOfEnglandUK

Private Member
loky11, is there a councillor that you can speak to? I had a girlfriend in the late 90's-early 200's that was trying to keep off heroin. I had no idea that she had just come off heroin when I met her. She had a respectable job and all that. Anyway, she gradually turned into a nightmare and eventually told me that she had a heroin problem but had managed to stay off it for several months. I told her to speak to a councilor. She wouldn't so I went to a councilor that helps people that are trying to help people with drug problems. It was so helpful not only for me but also to help me help my girlfriend. Maybe there is someone like that for you that can offer advice on how to help your brother, m8?

loky11

20 year old sleeping all day and playing computer all night is perfectly normal.
He will grow out of it unfortunately.
Talk to him. Just talk to him. My mother in law tried 3 times. Dont let things wait get him the help he needs.

I can't let him know I know, mother would hit the roof, he's told her not to tell anyone, if he knew I know he wouldn't trust her again.

loky11

loky11, is there a councillor that you can speak to? I had a girlfriend in the late 90's-early 200's that was trying to keep off heroin. I had no idea that she had just come off heroin when I met her. She had a respectable job and all that. Anyway, she gradually turned into a nightmare and eventually told me that she had a heroin problem but had managed to stay off it for several months. I told her to speak to a councilor. She wouldn't so I went to a councilor that helps people that are trying to help people with drug problems. It was so helpful not only for me but also to help me help my girlfriend. Maybe there is someone like that for you that can offer advice on how to help your brother, m8?
I'm not entirely sure, he's at Dr's on Monday to speak to a mental health nurse, I just hope he tells her everything.

JessThePlasterer

Queen Jess Elizabeth I
I would take BigBruv’s advice if it was me. Even if you never let on to him you know, I’d want to arm myself with knowledge. It’s not just understanding the illness, it’s learning how to support, how to talk to that person.

It’s amazing what a professional can teach you. A f**k tonne of stuff you don’t know you don’t know.

Best of luck to you and your family

raytheplasterer

I was contemplating joining the samaritans a while back to speak to people on the phone when they call looking for help, it's normally about 3 or 4 hours a week you volunteer for, It's quite a long and indepth training schedule you have to undertake to be allowed to do it, plus not everyone who volunteers to help is able or deemed fully competent enough to help, which is a good thing Imo,
get him to call the samaritans or contact them yourself to get some advice about helping
your brother or anyone else in that situation.

Mouldyoldspudgun

I would take BigBruv’s advice if it was me. Even if you never let on to him you know, I’d want to arm myself with knowledge. It’s not just understanding the illness, it’s learning how to support, how to talk to that person.

It’s amazing what a professional can teach you. A f**k tonne of stuff you don’t know you don’t know.

Best of luck to you and your family
f**k I never knew you had a pierced lip