mechanically fixing boards over existing plaster

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

liam123

A customer of mine has asked me if I can fix boards directly over the existing plaster with screws and plugs rather than dot them on.i suggested batten the wall out but doesnt want to lose the space is this possible with some sort of washer to hold the board or is there another type of fixing available? Thanks in advance for replies

Cos the customer's a tight-fisted git?

Makes me laugh when they say they don't want to lose the space, as if they're suddenly gonna start falling over the furniture cos the room is like 2 inches smaller :RpS_scared:

Tell them you can chase the battens into the wall if space is such a concern :RpS_thumbup:

Aye the dont wanna pay for a new job or hacking off etc but pritty much want a new job etc , **** that hack off and dib and dob if they r fussed about space if they r not do as said 5 mm dots on top , if they dont wanna lose the room they gota pay for it ? Lol

I would just paint the walls plaster colour...........................:RpS_thumbup:...........but only if the customer is happy to lose the space of the added paint.....................:RpS_unsure:

Cos the customer's a tight-fisted git?

Makes me laugh when they say they don't want to lose the space, as if they're suddenly gonna start falling over the furniture cos the room is like 2 inches smaller :RpS_scared:

Tell them you can chase the battens into the wall if space is such a concern :RpS_thumbup:
and the boards :RpS_unsure:

I have done this when been asked to. 2" no 8 screws with 6mm penny washers. I scrimped over the screws/washers as well.

Its a bit of a faff but I have never been back so guess there sit up.

Doing one today,where the carpenter stuck and screwed over woodchip paper, the bad news is he will have to have new skirtings, bloody gate domestic work,he even boarded the kitchen walls,we have to put stop beads everywhere,top of tiles around units,extractor,the amount of sheeting over,moving furniture etc..

Doing one today,where the carpenter stuck and screwed over woodchip paper, the bad news is he will have to have new skirtings, bloody gate domestic work,he even boarded the kitchen walls,we have to put stop beads everywhere,top of tiles around units,extractor,the amount of sheeting over,moving furniture etc..
I feel your pain mate domestic work is killing me

Disconnecting washing machines,moving wardrobes ,covering stuff ,protecting floors,sealing doors,sheeting stairs,,

It's painful! My biggest gripe is the customers changing stuff. I am doing a garage conversion at the minute he is supplying mats I said dryline it with timber at 400 centres he said I don't.want to.spend.that much on wood he phoned me.today saying it's to flimsy which I'm sure he means hollow.as it obviously will be he.said.can we put some cross.batons in now |-O they think they know what there talking about but don't know what they want. Also wants something changed on lighting so a few ceiling boards need to be take down

It's painful! My biggest gripe is the customers changing stuff. I am doing a garage conversion at the minute he is supplying mats I said dryline it with timber at 400 centres he said I don't.want to.spend.that much on wood he phoned me.today saying it's to flimsy which I'm sure he means hollow.as it obviously will be he.said.can we put some cross.batons in now |-O they think they know what there talking about but don't know what they want. Also wants something changed on lighting so a few ceiling boards need to be take down

So I did 600 centres as requested

Could stick on with the new board foam you get. Only like 5mm beads on the back. Should stick no problem. You could use the plasterboard drive in nail fixings that just hammer into the wall. Can't remember the name of them tho.

Thanks for all the replies after quite a lot of convincing he is now going with the batten out and insulate option but now wants 40mm insulation , one extreme to the other. Am I the only one that sometimes hates the customer?

here is a customers request
can you use 9.5 mm boards instead of 12.5 so i have more room :mad:

Blue grit the existing walls, & dot&dab 30mm thermalaminate boards, the best of both worlds then! (Be sure to blue grit before dabbing an existing plaster wall though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.