Materials

Members online

Kasper

Hi, so i was wondering how to buy materials for jobs, up until now I was just buying on my debit card in say wickes and then charging customer with like 10% profit on it, but im worried about large amounts of money going into my bank and I don't really know how to put that through quickbooks either. I started collecting cash for material for each job before I start but not everyone is keen on giving cash to somebody they just met without guarantee that they ever gonna come back... Any advice ?

Hi, so i was wondering how to buy materials for jobs, up until now I was just buying on my debit card in say wickes and then charging customer with like 10% profit on it, but im worried about large amounts of money going into my bank and I don't really know how to put that through quickbooks either. I started collecting cash for material for each job before I start but not everyone is keen on giving cash to somebody they just met without guarantee that they ever gonna come back... Any advice ?

I go to builders merchants and get the customer an estimate.

When they agree it the builders merchants calls the customer and they pay over the phone.

Then we sort out any bits and bobs at the end.

That's for whole renovations.

Small jobs I just whack it on my card with a good mark up.

I only really usually work for people with investment property though, and Ireland is quite old fashioned about doing stuff like getting to know the customer and ringing people up and stuff like that .

You're worried about large amounts of money going into your bank account? What you on about lol. You just put it through as money from a job, which it is...
So if you've got a day job coming up for say £30 materials, you go and ask the customer for £30 in cash first?

You're worried about large amounts of money going into your bank account? What you on about lol. You just put it through as money from a job, which it is...
So if you've got a day job coming up for say £30 materials, you go and ask the customer for £30 in cash first?
Well this is what I was doing so far

Bulk buy all your non perishables direct, you will get great deals. It'll sting at first but you'll feel the benefit through the year

Bulk buy all your non perishables direct, you will get great deals. It'll sting at first but you'll feel the benefit through the year
Apart from bags of muck and boards I save about 40% on Wickes

If it’s a huge job and I get a bad vibe from a customer il take a payment after the first week just to see if there good to there word! That’s purely a trust issue on my part I can usually sniff out the rats :ROFLMAO:
I must be too trusting ,job im on at the mo im £2000 in it already with materials and wages.

f**k that , to the op get every customer to transfer 30-50 % into your account before you start job , it’s a deposit to book the job
I stopped pissing about now with people they either pay or go somewhere else

f**k that , to the op get every customer to transfer 30-50 % into your account before you start job , it’s a deposit to book the job
I stopped pissing about now with people they either pay or go somewhere else

strange how most plasterers dont seem to ask for money upfront....

while most other trades do for materials.

Doesn't make sense Casper...get yourself an accountant don't bother with quickbooks waste of time...accountant will save you a fortune. Never get money for materials up front.

For example 1 days work: Labour £300 Materials £50...tell the customer £350 for the job. Then go to builders merchant put mats on account or buy from Wickes etc...bill customer total cost at end.

Never let the customer know how much you ere charging for materials.

If I was to say to you I'll skim a 10m2 wall for you for £350 including labour and materials...how does this sound compared to I can skim wall for you £300 labour £50 materials? Sounds terrible customer knows how much the materials are and thinks I'm not paying a tradesman £300 per day. So always give them total cost never break down.

It’s gippo as f**k

my older brothers upholsterer by trade
he says the same as pete 30% upfront secures the job.....

he landed contract for Luton airport and various hotels
without the 30% he said he wouldn't of touched them.

I only ever ask for materials for micro or venetian as I've had a few try and change there minds on colours etc.As for boarding and skimming i'll supply as never normally any more than a grand unless it's a full house/houses and developers normally want to supply themswlves which suits me fine.

Would just feel like a t**t asking for 50 quid to get some plaster.
Yeah bit different for a chippy going and buying doors, frames and arch, or some oak flooring, or a plumber buying a new bathroom. Bit petty for a few bags of multi.
Tbh I've had my whole house redone and had every trade come and go and not a single one asked for a penny up front. Even the builder who did the extension

Yeah bit different for a chippy going and buying doors, frames and arch, or some oak flooring, or a plumber buying a new bathroom. Bit petty for a few bags of multi.
Tbh I've had my whole house redone and had every trade come and go and not a single one asked for a penny up front. Even the builder who did the extension

Because you know them and they trust you.

If I was asking for money up front to me that would mean I dont trust the customer. And if I think there a bit dodgy I shouldn't be doing the job.

Because its pathetic & unnecessary!

Do a good job & get paid chat over!
In 10years I've only ever not got paid from 1 job, and that was because I completely forgot to chase them up. It randomly popped in my head about a year later! Checked my bank out of curiousity and they'd never paid, felt abit pathetic chasing them up for £250 so just let it go lol

In 10years I've only ever not got paid from 1 job, and that was because I completely forgot to chase them up. It randomly popped in my head about a year later! Checked my bank out of curiousity and they'd never paid, felt abit pathetic chasing them up for £250 so just let it go lol

Happy Brexit day mate!!!!

I wouldn't let 50 quid go 2 years later

Would just feel like a t**t asking for 50 quid to get some plaster.

that's £250 a week mate ....
if you get the £50 from a different job everyday.

turn off phone and head straight to Wetherspoons

youd have a cracking week :LOL: :risas2: