Materials mark up

How many people put a mark up when supplying materials?

of course you need to mark up materials.
large plastering firms are able to cut the merchants down and demand that they have the first drop off every morning.
a local plastering contractor purchased a builders merchants business to get the materials at the most competitive price.

It’s just I get builders say to me you price up the materials and I’ll see if I can get it cheaper. What really mean is you spend your time measuring everything up and tell me what I need . Oh and if you get it cheaper you can Fetch it too . They are cheeky daft

It’s just I get builders say to me you price up the materials and I’ll see if I can get it cheaper. What really mean is you spend your time measuring everything up and tell me what I need . Oh and if you get it cheaper you can Fetch it too . They are cheeky daft
If your working for builders then they should be supplying all the materials mate. You just tell them what you need and when! (y)

If your working for builders then they should be supplying all the materials mate. You just tell them what you need and when! (y)
Half the builders I work for try to screw you on price so if I get the gear I stick my bit on top to get my money back . And sometimes go over the top with the materials and carry it forward to another job . If they want me to
Spend my time measuring up gear for them ill
Get my bit back one way or another

Half the builders I work for try to screw you on price so if I get the gear I stick my bit on top to get my money back . And sometimes go over the top with the materials and carry it forward to another job . If they want me to
Spend my time measuring up gear for them ill
Get my bit back one way or another
Sounds like you’ve got it sussed geez!

The most important thing is that you are laying out YOUR money.
If you use money in a business transaction that money must make a profit, it is in effect a loan to your customer.

builder said to me today “where you get your boards from “ ?
I said “Wickes cheaper than most merchants “
He said “ I’m sure I can get them cheaper “
I said “Go fetch them then in your Ford Focus estate and have them here for 7.30am tomorrow then “
You all know what his reply was

builder said to me today “where you get your boards from “ ?
I said “Wickes cheaper than most merchants “
He said “ I’m sure I can get them cheaper “
I said “Go fetch them then in your Ford Focus estate and have them here for 7.30am tomorrow then “
You all know what his reply was

“Is it ok if I cut them into 3?”

We all do to an extent. We're in the wrong trade for making any decent money on materials though. Sparkies and chippys can get away with murder on materials. My brother in law's a chippy and he makes thousands per kitchen from Howdens for doing nothing. I make about £10 a day

Yup, cash loan and, your time and diesel. 15% doesn't quite cut though, I usually add 20% then they think its non-reclaimable VAT 'cos I'm not registered. Clever guy (i.e can do sums) told me that he worked out that if your on VAT it puts 16% on your price.

I've started doing something new when I'm doing jobs that are a bit harder to guess how much gear I'll need.

Go to builder's merchants with a list of absolutely everything the customer would need to do it himself.

Whole box of plasterboard screws, 5L of PVA when 1 would do, Twice as much dust as I really need, etc.

Get internal estimate, write a very modest labour fee on the bottom of the sheet and hand it to the customer

How long?
3 days love.
Hmm £450 for 3 days, eh? Very reasonable. Job's yours.
Didn't tell them that the £480 materials actually came to £290 when I went for what I really needed.

Quid's in.

Otherwise, I work out what I really need and how long it will really take and stick 20% on the lot.

A
Mmmmm nope , its part of my hours if I have to collect materials , keep beads , PVA and scrim on van , for my convenience and don't like charging £5 for a wickes stop bead when their delivered to my door for a quid , your all greedy b.ggers lol
Any chance of an interest free loan to buy some more tape?

I don't add a percentage per say but I always purposely way over estimate what materials I actually use, probably average £10-20 a day on top of my labour.. sometimes a lot more on bigger jobs as it's harder working out exactly what's needed so I go way over board.. rather that than under price and eat into my wages.

We all do to an extent. We're in the wrong trade for making any decent money on materials though. Sparkies and chippys can get away with murder on materials. My brother in law's a chippy and he makes thousands per kitchen from Howdens for doing nothing. I make about £10 a day
Howdens are terrible my mates a joiner and they give him an invoice for the customer and a separate invoice for him . Obviously a lot less

This is by far and away the worse trade in the building game for any easy money.

I have 2 plasterers and 3 renderers pretty much 80% of the year in any other trade I would be minted.

I'm still the 1st out of the van every day and the last 1 to leave work, have no days off and price up weekends and evenings.

Busy fools that's all we will ever be, as for all the Harry Enfield loads of money characters on here your either dilluded, liars or never worked through a recession!

Pah! Piss and wind!

This is by far and away the worse trade in the building game for any easy money.

I have 2 plasterers and 3 renderers pretty much 80% of the year in any other trade I would be minted.

I'm still the 1st out of the van every day and the last 1 to leave work, have no days off and price up weekends and evenings.

Busy fools that's all we will ever be, as for all the Harry Enfield loads of money characters on here your either dilluded, liars or never worked through a recession!

Howdens are terrible my mates a joiner and they give him an invoice for the customer and a separate invoice for him . Obviously a lot less
Yeah Howdens just ask the chippy what price they should give the customer. Shouldn't be legal tbh. He can make 3 or 4 k in a week fitting a bulk standard kitchen

Why don't you just price high, lose half the work but make a mint on the other half and just keep 1 or 2 guys on?

Yeah Howdens just ask the chippy what price they should give the customer. Shouldn't be legal tbh. He can make 3 or 4 k in a week fitting a bulk standard kitchen
There’s one thinking making an extra few quid
For picking some bags of skim up , but making £100s on every job is wrong especially when they are making good day work . You
Never see a chippy breaking sweat

There’s one thinking making an extra few quid
For picking some bags of skim up , but making £100s on every job is wrong especially when they are making good day work . You
Never see a chippy breaking sweat
Yep I don't think I could do it tbh, although maybe I'm giving myself to much credit. If I had my time again I'd definitely be a chippy, Ponce around with a pencil behind my ear. Most of the skills gone out of it aswell, they just rely on 5k of kit that pretty much does it all for them. Theres one who always seems to be in travis the same time as me, gels his hair every day and stinks of aftershave the ponce

Yep I don't think I could do it tbh, although maybe I'm giving myself to much credit. If I had my time again I'd definitely be a chippy, Ponce around with a pencil behind my ear. Most of the skills gone out of it aswell, they just rely on 5k of kit that pretty much does it all for them. Theres one who always seems to be in travis the same time as me, gels his hair every day and stinks of aftershave the ponce
They are the new sparks

Bought 2 kitchens from howdens in last yr and both times they call and ask what fiddle do you want putting on top of customer invoice. Apparently £300/400 markup is the norm .not bad if your fitting 3 a month

Bought 2 kitchens from howdens in last yr and both times they call and ask what fiddle do you want putting on top of customer invoice. Apparently £300/400 markup is the norm .not bad if your fitting 3 a month
Exactly even if I put a £1 on a bag of skim most I’m gonna make is £40 a week . Which about covers the fuel for fetching it . Not including my time out the house too

Exactly even if I put a £1 on a bag of skim most I’m gonna make is £40 a week . Which about covers the fuel for fetching it . Not including my time out the house too

Order a pallet @ bottom price £4 bag. Delivered. Put it in garage. Put £3 on each bag. Bout £150 profit per pallet