Marshalltown vs kraft elite

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakejhnsn

Evening all! I'm going to buy a couple of new skimming trowels this week, I'm used to marshalltown but fancy a change, just wanted your thoughts on the kraft elite series?? I like the look of them but don't no if they are any good?? Or should I stick with MT?

I'm too old school and wouldn't change from marshaltown as they are the best (for me) I know a lot of the lads on here have different ideas and each to there own :RpS_biggrin:

lol.. if your old school, you would be using Tyzack centenery boyz...

one of the old boys who taught me had those a double tang for cement and single for skimming. I didn't like the handles on them so went for marshaltown like the rest of the firm. do you have tyzacks Cassie??

try a refina s*p*r*lex ss trowel. refina have a sale on at the moment £25 plus vat.
i have a kraft 14" use it for rendering. i have mt stainless and mt goldback but neither are as good as the refina.
if you want a mt order it from amazon usa, as most of the export mt are now made in china and they are not the best quality.

im with malc on this one, if its a skimming trowel you want try the refina s*p*r*lex ss,,, lovely trowel for setting,,

im with malc on this one, if its a skimming trowel you want try the refina s*p*r*lex ss,,, lovely trowel for setting,,
whats the score with the refina ss trowel mate.. is it used to flatten off ?? serious question..

one of the old boys who taught me had those a double tang for cement and single for skimming. I didn't like the handles on them so went for marshaltown like the rest of the firm. do you have tyzacks Cassie??

use the tyzacks all the time mate, the double tang one ur on about had a maroon wooden handle.. just ordered the stainless refina today, the tyzacks now are not as good as the old ones ( made in sheffield ) think there fukin chinese now.. got a M/T for rendering... still got my old tyzack finishing trowel tho...

whats the score with the refina ss trowel mate.. is it used to flatten off ?? serious question..
i use mine for the whole set,, laying on flattening and troweling up,, would definitely recommend giving one a try cassie,, i have the 16 inch but am thinking about going down to a 14 inch

what stage do you use the s*p*r*lex for mate ?
I lay in then flatten with a m/town then switch to a s*p*r*lex for the last 2 trowels, the m/town brings a bit of moisture to the surface, which allows the s*p*r*lex to glide over with no water at all, i just get on it a bit earlier then i would if i was just using my m/town,

Yes all metal, it has a awful blue rubber handle which to be fair will take a bit of getting used to.

My buddy recently bought a couple of kraft trowels to try, there ok, but thats about it IMO.
One has the leather bound handle the other the wooden handle, both are poorly shaped and finished, and the leather just looks tacky. Also they are too big making them uncomfortable to grip. Luckily they are interchangeable with marshalltown handles.
In the metal they look ok and the quality looks good. They are heavier than an MT, I think the blade is thicker but would have to get the verniers out to confirm.

For my money I would stick to what I know and that's MT, although I do have a refina pool trowel for bedding in mesh, which is very good quality. I might be tempted with one of their s*p*r*lex's seeing as there also getting rave reviews here.

i like the blue handle on the s*p*r*lex it feels nice to my hand. it is my favorite trowel for skimming. lay on and finish straight from new no breaking in.

http://REFINA Ultra Fexible s*p*r*lex plastering Skimming Trowel 14" 228194 NEXT DAY DE
if you copy and paste this on ebay you will see what they look like,,, the handle is attached to a second piece of metal,, not very good on computers

if you copy and paste this on ebay you will see what they look like,,, the handle is attached to a second piece of metal,, not very good on computers
thats me and not the trowels that ate not very good on computers

cheers had a look, so what process do u use with this ? is it used after both coats of finish are on , and you trowel up with it..? going to try one, but defo not buying a plastic trowel..lol...

cheers had a look, so what process do u use with this ? is it used after both coats of finish are on , and you trowel up with it..? going to try one, but defo not buying a plastic trowel..lol...
What would you say is the advantage of this over a good finishing trowel ?? cheers.

@cassie the s*p*r*lex can be used for all stages of the skimming process, although I just use mine for the last 2 trowels, the main advantage being you can finish your set without applying hardly any water, speeding things up a bit, the other big plus is these trowels virtually eliminate any tearing or tiger stripping, only thing to bear in mind is that your trowel strokes need be a little slower, as if not these trowels can judder a bit

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.