Marking your tools up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User________removed

Private Member
This might sound a bit anal, however i broke my finishing trowel yesterday, so been and got a 13" MT gold.

A while ago i was looking into custom knife making and came across a homemade etching kit, which basically uses salt water and a 9v or 12v batery. So i made one which was cheap and easy enough, last night marked up the trowel for no other reason than i like clean tools and gadgets, i suppose it serves as a bit of a deterent also maybe for the lads that work on site.

For some reason i cant load pics on here, so the link should take you to the album where you can see the result.

If anyones as anal as me and wants to do their kit ill gladly post up the process which is simple enough. The etching goes about 1-2mm into the metal so doesnt affect the performance of the trowel but would be quite dificult to get out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102710...&authkey=Gv1sRgCP_nks315ej9VQ&feat=directlink

I like!!! Personalising your tools, feckin anal or what?? But I like. How long does it take to do that airborne?

This might sound a bit anal, however i broke my finishing trowel yesterday, so been and got a 13" MT gold.

A while ago i was looking into custom knife making and came across a homemade etching kit, which basically uses salt water and a 9v or 12v batery. So i made one which was cheap and easy enough, last night marked up the trowel for no other reason than i like clean tools and gadgets, i suppose it serves as a bit of a deterent also maybe for the lads that work on site.

For some reason i cant load pics on here, so the link should take you to the album where you can see the result.

If anyones as anal as me and wants to do their kit ill gladly post up the process which is simple enough. The etching goes about 1-2mm into the metal so doesnt affect the performance of the trowel but would be quite dificult to get out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102710...&authkey=Gv1sRgCP_nks315ej9VQ&feat=directlink

If ya a dab hand at it might get you to put some wings on all my gear..........:RpS_thumbup:

That's smart, so whats the process?

Takes a couple of minutes, the only expensive bit is the press and peel paper which you get from maplins, costs about £15 for 10 A4 sheets, but would do hundreds on etchings.
You need to go into something like Word and type what you want in a text box making sure that the writing is in white and the back ground in black, once youve done that you need to flip it horizontaly so that its backwards if that makes sense. then print off on your computer and take to a photocopying place so they can copy on to the press and peel, all instructions are on it.

Cut out one of your logos and place on trowel / spat etc cover with a piece of paper and iron, once ironed rinse under cold tap and peel off.

Get a 9v or 12v battery and conect live and negative wires to the correct terminals, tape the live wire to somewhere on the trowel, and twist the negative around a cotton bud, dip the cotton bud into a solution of salt water and rub over your logo.

The salt water in conection with the current etches the metal, the longer you rub it over for the deeper the etch with less definition, about three minutes will do the etch about 1.5 mm deep.

We can all see it arti!! It's feckin brilliant mate, you obviously ain't in the circle:flapper:

Me too I've clicked a few times now, it's feckin awesome , how good is that trowel lookin, cool as!:RpS_w00t:

PMSL..........you're all knob jockeys...........the links doesnt work............is this really a gen up thread...............:RpS_confused:

Cheers bud, im gonna give this a go. Looks real trick.
Did you go the house branding everything? :)

Are you on Windows 2000 arty lad?:RpS_laugh:

av started using firefox rather than internet explorer cos it always crashed when i was on the forum and its much quicker so fewk na's why it wont bring the link up. Its like being the camera man at a gangbang............:RpS_thumbdn:

Try Chrome marra, and I'll give ya a game of 9-ball pool.

(Don't tell Danny but we're building an extension with a pool table and darts and maybe some ten-pin, getting it ready for some Xmas comps if we get the PP :RpS_thumbsup:)

Its ok my fellow military compardre airborne is emailing me the pics so u can all muff my ass.............:flapper:

**** not again!!!! Shave it this time eh, I've just clicked that link again, it's feckin magic, looks mint. Feck that e mail pish..........:flapper:

Like it Airborne mate,funny enough was thinking of stamping my name on me trowels too,obviously stamping would fxxk and great MT trowel soo i just heated a old screwdriver and etched in me name into the handle.Have to keep all yeah tools marked these days,had a couple of dcent trowels going walkies off site and it aint good,nice one mate,consider this.

Status
Not open for further replies.