Make good multi skim any one managed to get any sort of consistent finish

Members online

No members online now.
i rang the make good suppliers(got the number from p1 stop shop)and explained i have 14 bags of the first batch and would like to swap for the new batch so i can give it a proper try.they were aware the first batch is shite and said they'd be happy to swap them,all i have to do is go to their plant in birmingham......i said I'm down in essex any way a courier could do this and they said they don't deal with small orders.i thought they'd be keen to bend over backwards to get plasterers on their side.

i rang the make good suppliers(got the number from p1 stop shop)and explained i have 14 bags of the first batch and would like to swap for the new batch so i can give it a proper try.they were aware the first batch is shite and said they'd be happy to swap them,all i have to do is go to their plant in birmingham......i said I'm down in essex any way a courier could do this and they said they don't deal with small orders.i thought they'd be keen to bend over backwards to get plasterers on their side.

They are keen to help and would be happy to swap, they just don’t have accounts with haulage companies to collect goods or do part deliveries

We can get it collected etc for you, but obviously there would be charges involved within that so wouldn’t make it worth while

so I'm stuck with 14 bags of plaster that aren't fit for purpose.about £112 of goods.would you charge more than that to swap them?

Some very mixed reviews on the MG Multi

One thing I can say, is the new formula is being well received and is selling well for us.

Some got on with the older stuff, many didn’t, fair play to MG for listening and making the right changes - they are here for the trade
Haven't you given a go Rian?

Didn't get on with the old formula but I followed the how to video which apparently was the wrong thing to do (confusing). Don't want them to fail and willing to give it another go. So with the new formula are we supposed to follow the how to video? There's no real explanation on the method to use it. When I spoke to the guy at make good on the phone he said dont follow the video, so why did the video get put online? It's promotional suicide if you ask me

Why the f**k would a company go to the bother of making a how to video, just to say don’t follow it? Ffs!! You couldn’t make it up Hahahahaha!

Didn't get on with the old formula but I followed the how to video which apparently was the wrong thing to do (confusing). Don't want them to fail and willing to give it another go. So with the new formula are we supposed to follow the how to video? There's no real explanation on the method to use it. When I spoke to the guy at make good on the phone he said dont follow the video, so why did the video get put online? It's promotional suicide if you ask me
Apparently the how to video was meant for the new formula! And the formula got messed up somehow hence the first batch being shite. With this new formula that’s out now follow the how to video and u can’t really go wrong

Give me a shout Monday, I’ll happily have a chat with MG for you and get something sorted
His argument shouldn't be with MG Ryan, he bought the gear from you and I think that there's enough spreads saying that the product wasn't fit for purpose for it to be accepted as fact.
Personally I think that MG have been a shambles from the outset.
Their board adhesive was unfit for purpose, closely followed by a shite finish plaster.

His argument shouldn't be with MG Ryan, he bought the gear from you and I think that there's enough spreads saying that the product wasn't fit for purpose for it to be accepted as fact.
Their board adhesive was unfit for purpose, closely followed by a shite finish plaster.
What was wrong with the board adhesive?

It's your family business isn't it why the plastering industry is your dad an X spread mate

No, he wasn’t. He came into the machine industry via floors.
I have focused on this since I left school as I have had lots of interest in machines since a young age and this was the natural progressions for us

Last edited:
good luck with that ,but if I was travelling down to Birmingham you’d want a bit more than a replacement bags surely they could throw in some extra for time n trouble I’ll email them
[/QUOTE]

I will do what I can to sort it for you mate, leave it with me

I understand he purchased the gear from us, hence me attempting to sort it. We have agreements and procedures in place with MG and they need to be followed - I’m not turning a blind eye to it, I’m helping facilitate the replacement

It isn’t my place to say whether it’s fit for purpose or not, but based on the reviews, there were clearly several issues, however, there are also many who got on well with the material - it’s therefore quite a difficult position to be in.

Their Hardwall has been exceptionally well received. Their board adhesive I have no knowledge on in fairness so I can’t comment

MG policy has been to swap stock. But won’t take responsibility for haulage. Which I can understand but at the same time, as the manufacturer, who are aware of the issue, I think they need to. It shouldn’t be the responsibility of the supplier to

I always have and always will be here to support guys, especially when issues like this have happened

Apparently the how to video was meant for the new formula! And the formula got messed up somehow hence the first batch being shite. With this new formula that’s out now follow the how to video and u can’t really go wrong
I thought they listened to feedback and changed the formula? The guy on the phone didn't say the formula has been messed up he said don't follow the video he doesn't use it like that. There's no wonder it's being slated. I've been following them from the start and it took about a month after being released for them to tell you about 17l of water , leave dust in bucket for 3 mins before mixing ect. I don't understand why this info wasn't released straight away. Hopefully this new formula is as good as you say and this can all be forgotten. I appreciate it's not easy to get this right but there were some things that should of been done better when releasing this product

I understand he purchased the gear from us, hence me attempting to sort it. We have agreements and procedures in place with MG and they need to be followed - I’m not turning a blind eye to it, I’m helping facilitate the replacement

It isn’t my place to say whether it’s fit for purpose or not, but based on the reviews, there were clearly several issues, however, there are also many who got on well with the material - it’s therefore quite a difficult position to be in.

Their Hardwall has been exceptionally well received. Their board adhesive I have no knowledge on in fairness so I can’t comment

MG policy has been to swap stock. But won’t take responsibility for haulage. Which I can understand but at the same time, as the manufacturer, who are aware of the issue, I think they need to. It shouldn’t be the responsibility of the supplier to

I always have and always will be here to support guys, especially when issues like this have happened
I'm afraid that you lost this argument as soon as you publicly said that the gear sent out wasn't the gear that was originally tested. That makes it an untested material.
Virtually no one has said that the gear is good, some have said that they've managed to get a satisfactory finish, although having seen some of the work about that could mean almost anything.
Anything you buy that's faulty your only legal point of contact is with those you bought it from, not the manufacturer.
I know this sounds like a right dig at P1SS Ryan, but it's really not. I've used you for bits in the past and will again in the future no doubt. This just needed handling better. X

I'm afraid that you lost this argument as soon as you publicly said that the gear sent out wasn't the gear that was originally tested. That makes it an untested material.
Virtually no one has said that the gear is good, some have said that they've managed to get a satisfactory finish, although having seen some of the work about that could mean almost anything.
Anything you buy that's faulty your only legal point of contact is with those you bought it from, not the manufacturer.
I know this sounds like a right dig at P1SS Ryan, but it's really not. I've used you for bits in the past and will again in the future no doubt. This just needed handling better. X

Andy, that material being sent out and the change was not to my knowledge, not under my control and I had no idea until after The events happened - I have been honest and said the truth, I could have been sly and said nothing, but I think you know me well enough now to know I wouldn’t do that. This isn’t a P1 exclusive product, if it was, I would be taking the costs.

Hence the reason for hitting the manufacturers with it - we ourselves encountered a number of losses due to this. Bare in mind, we brought stuff in to help guys at a time of need and it burnt us more than many others.

We are doing what we can to support others in this.

Worth noting as well, not every spread is on TPF or FB, meaning there will be those who both like it and hate it not voicing their opinions. We had a number of local spreads return to purchase more of the first batch as it worked for them.

Regarding the legalities of returns. We could discuss this for hours upon hours - it all depends on the terms of the sale also, this is why we have the ability to hit the manufacturer on this. If we are to deal with it, their cost will increase, our cost will increase (bare in mind it’s not my fault) therefore the quickest and most cost effective solution is for them to deal with it. We ourselves have been helping many out directly and will do it MG don’t

Last edited:
I’m a joiner but I do a fair bit of plastering on kitchen and bathroom fitting jobs - nothing like the scale of what you lads do, but I always do it properly and get a nice finish. First experience of MG was a kitchen job three weeks ago - just a few bits to patch - sparky‘s chases and so on. Packed out the chases first with BG bonding, and then skimmed with the first batch of MG. It was like skimming with sticky plasterboard adhesive, and after 4 hours it still hadn’t firmed up. So I just trowelled it as flat as I could, left it to dry and sanded it with a Mirka - no biggie because I had to fill and sand the whole wall anyway.

I left a suitably negative comment on their YouTube video. They replied, promising that the November-dated batch had fixed the problem. They then deleted the comment.

Different story today. Bathroom job with an Artex ceiling, curved at both ends. I still had a bag of BG bonding left, so I put on a coat of that first to flatten it off. Then the ‘improved’ batch of MG. It’s no different to the first - absolutely the same. Still hadn’t picked up properly after two hours. ‘Wait until it changes colour’ they said. Sure - it does change colour - in loads of little patches all over the place, all at different speeds. Bit the bullet and put the 2nd coat on. It dragged off half the first coat with it. What a f*****g mess. I ended up spending forever getting it to look half-decent and I’ll be getting the Mirka out again when it’s dry.

Never again.
So much for them listening and improving things. What a shower.

Totally.

If they'd got it right, BG would have had some serious competition on their hands - and a few local spreads I often work with, have told me that they would have started using it as a 'f*** you' gesture, because most of them felt massively betrayed by BG. They could have shifted tens of thousands of tons of it and really established themselves as a credible contender. It's like all the car manufacturers closing their factories for months - all except one. And that factory - with a fantastic opportunity to sell loads of cars - responds by producing an absolute dog of a vehicle which won't start in the morning.

Why didn't they put a touch of fine sand in it to make it less plasticky and to give a 'trowel feel' a bit more like thousands of spreads are used to? Why did they think it would be a good idea to bring a product to market which required time-served tradesmen to forget everything they knew - and then try to learn how to deal with this stuff using the walls and ceilings of their paying customers as a testing ground? Why didn't they at least put a bit of dye in it to make it brown so you can actually see the colour change and know when to react to it - and so painters can see which bits of a ceiling they've actually painted white? How can a 'reformulated' product still hang about for two hours? And why should they need to keep tweaking it if it's been tested as they claim? Board adhesive which sets rock-hard in the bucket in 30 minutes? Come on MG - this is pretty basic stuff. And who thought that selling it in B&Q (rather than builders merchants) would be a good idea - so as you're calling in there knackered and sh*tted up at the end of a hard day, you can't get to the stuff without fighting your way through hordes of Gavins and Jemimas who've popped in to buy a nice potted plant or a foot-long piece of split, twisted, warped, banana-shaped timber for £150, or a pack of four screws for £75 - and all whilst dealing with the BS one-way systems imposed on you by brain-dead, pond life shopping assistants wearing Snickers work trousers on top of their vomit-inducing 'We're in this together' shirts so that they look a bit 'trade'?

Shot themselves in the foot. Over and over. Let's see where they are a year from now.
Good post.